Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Smilodon populator 14 (63.6%)
Gigantophis garstini 8 (36.4%)
Total Votes: 22
Smilodon populator v Gigantophis garstini
Topic Started: Apr 24 2014, 06:51 PM (4,085 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Smilodon populator
Smilodon, often called a saber-toothed cat or wrongly a saber-toothed tiger, is an extinct genus of machairodonts. This saber-toothed cat was endemic to North America and South America, living from near the beginning through the very end of the Pleistocene epoch (2.5 mya—10,000 years ago). Smilodon populator ("Smilodon the Devastator"), 1 million-10,000 years ago; occurred in the eastern parts of South America and was the largest species of all machairodonts. It was much larger than its cousins, S. fatalis and S. gracilis, possessing a massive chest and front legs, and is the largest known variety of saber-toothed cat. It was more than 1.40 m (55 in) high at the shoulder, 2.6 m (100 in) long on average and had a 30 cm (12 in) tail. Smilodon populator was substantially heavier and larger than any extant felid, with a body mass range of 220–360 kg. Particularly large specimens of S. populator almost certainly exceeded 400 kg in body mass. Its upper canines reached 30 cm (12 in) and protruded up to 17 cm (6.7 in) out of the upper jaw. Genetic evidence suggests that Smilodon populator and other members of the genus diverged from the main lineage of modern cats (subfamily Felinae) around 14-18 million years ago.

Posted Image

Gigantophis garstini
Gigantophis garstini was a prehistoric snake which may have measured more than 10 metres (33 ft), larger than any living species of snake. It once took the mantle of largest snake before Titanoboa, which was discovered in Colombia in 2009. Gigantophis lived approximately 40 million years ago in the southern Sahara where Egypt and Algeria are now situated. The species is known only from a small number of fossils, and may have preyed on basal proboscideans, pig-sized ancestors of modern elephants. Gigantophis is classified as a member of the madtsoiid family. Jason Head, of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., has compared the fossil vertebrae of a Gigantophis to those of the largest modern snakes, and concluded that the extinct snake could grow to 9.3 metres (31 ft) to 10.7 metres (35 ft) in length. If 10.7 metres (35 ft), it would have been more than 10 percent longer than its largest living relatives.

Posted Image

Vodmeister
Apr 24 2014, 05:52 PM
Gigantophis vs Smilodon Populator
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grimace
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As much as I support big snakes, the cat wins this. its just way, way, way too big.

Theres always a chance of the snake getting lucky and getting it right around the neck though.

Deleted User
Deleted User

How much doe the snake weight?
Quote Post Goto Top

Grimace
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
99007742.com
Apr 24 2014, 08:42 PM
How much doe the snake weight?
A 25 foot reticulated python in captivity is around 350ish pounds. (and captive retics are almost always pretty overweight to obese)

I'd say a pretty safe bet for a healthy full sized Gigantophis is like 350 pounds assuming it is shaped like a modern snake.

Posted Image
im seeing this picture though, and if this is what it looked like I will heavily favor the snake in this fight.

Does anyone actually know what its body shape was?

Tiger
Member Avatar
Tiger Expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It's really hard to say, but I voted for the snake.

It would depend on the Smilodon's fighting style, they apparently could not use their canine teeth, and I also read they fight like dogs in a way of rarely using their paws. I think we all know they would have been strong, but nobody knew whether it was a good or bad fighter. I think they are judged by their large teeth, and having 'tiger' at the end of their names.

The reason I chose the snake is because unless the Smilodon was agile and fast like modern tigers, it wouldn't be able to avoid being coiled and squeezed to death.

Ornitholestes
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
The snake is just too big for the cat to handle.

Naronu
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Agreed but the cat is more agile and could use its saber fangs to an advantage and TigerVsLion why does a tiger even matter in this scenario?

Arovinrac
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Naronu
Apr 25 2014, 02:29 AM
Agreed but the cat is more agile and could use its saber fangs to an advantage and TigerVsLion why does a tiger even matter in this scenario?
Because secretly Tigers are god-like beings, everything in the universe revolves on around Tigers, and how indestructible they are

Bandog
Member Avatar
Everything else is just a dog.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There is very substantial evidence that sabertoothed cats used their canines to deliver killing bites. It would do so to the snake

Arovinrac
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
this is a picture i found, the sheer size of the claw tells us the smilodon definitely has the tools to beat the snake, it all really depends on how fast the snake can coil around it.
Edited by Arovinrac, Apr 25 2014, 02:44 AM.

Arovinrac
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
IMO I think the that the Smilodons claws and huge forelimbs would be enough to cause massive damage to the snake before, the Snake would be able to wrap it up in its coils.
Smilodon 7/10

marcin l
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
intresting fight at parity weight for egzample 300 vs 300 kg i must say i dont now which animal win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-YzZ3AlP3Y largest today live snake 7,5 m long 150 kg weight impresiv animal 10-11 m long snake definitely can weight 2 times more if proprtional have the same shape .

Vodmeister
Member Avatar
Ultimate Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It really does depend on how this snake was build. The heaviest green anaconda was 17'1" and weighed 215 pounds; scaling such an animal up to 35 feet would give us a weight of 1,862 pounds (!). However, if it was build like a reticulated python, it probably wouldn't even have weighed half as much.

Vobby
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bandog
Apr 25 2014, 02:42 AM
There is very substantial evidence that sabertoothed cats used their canines to deliver killing bites. It would do so to the snake
^this. Constrictors have proven to be quite resilient, but being stabbed by thos fangs would be too much for sure. I dare backing the snake if it was really substantially larger.

Edit: It may be worth noticing that we have no real proof for these snakes having been able to kille through constriction. They were also not very well adapted to feed on big animals, so that we surely have a snake specialized in taking down much smaller animals, differently from Smilodon.
Edited by Vobby, Apr 25 2014, 05:05 AM.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jaguars kill large anacondas. The Smilodon (which has much better weapons) shouldn't have too much trouble killing this oversized snake.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: