Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Bulldog Raspy Cricket 4 (28.6%)
Manticora Tiger Beetle 10 (71.4%)
Total Votes: 14
Bulldog Raspy Cricket v Manticora Tiger Beetle
Topic Started: Jul 3 2014, 09:24 PM (8,471 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Bulldog Raspy Cricket - Sia ferox
Sia ferox also know as Roick or a Bulldog Raspy Cricket is a species of insect that lives in Indonesia. It is in the family of Stenopelmatidae genus Sia.
Its length is 65–80 millimetres (2.6–3.1 in). Although its basic form is similar to the Gryllacrididae, it is somewhat elongated. Its body color is brown. The female has a rudimentary ovipositor, unlike other Weta. Sometimes they prey on males. The species is nocturnal. It also preys on other insects possibly found in rotten wood.

Posted Image

Manticora Tiger Beetle - Manticora scabra
Manticora scabra is a species of ground beetle native to Mozambique, Transvaal and Zimbabwe. Range: southern Africa Size: 55 - 65 mm. The african genus Manticora contains the largest species of tiger beetle (Cicindelidae) in the world. The species M. herculeana reaches 70 mm in lenght which is very large by the tiger beetle standards. Manticora is a predator which uses its powerful mandibles to seize and dismember the prey, mainly insects. The eyes are large and well developed as in other species tiger beetles, but unlike most others, Manticora is flightless. As a ground-based predator, its elytra have becomefused, and its flight wings degenerate. The mandibles of the male are considerably larger than those of the female. However the bite of the females is actually much stronger.

Posted Image

mechafire
Jul 3 2014, 02:22 PM
Bulldog Raspy Cricket-Sia Ferox vs Manticora Tiger Beetle - Manticora scabra
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vivyx
I love felines, birds and arthropods
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tiger beetle. These insects are fierce and very fast. I think the tiger beetle would be fast enough to grab the cricket before the cricket could even get a good hold.

The cricket is also aggressive and can pounce, but I'm not seeing the cricket catching/getting a hold of the much faster tiger beetle. It's likely that a tiger beetle can grab the cricket with it's long mandibles even when grabbed.

I remember on one of those cruel Japanese Bug Fights I used to watch, I saw a tiger beetle ripping the leg off of a tarantula much bigger than itself and causing some serious injury to the spider.
Edited by Vivyx, Sep 23 2015, 02:21 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
The tiger beetle is the quicker opponent and probably has better armor as well. However, the cricket is bigger and stronger, I doubt the tiger beetle can tear it apart. I see the cricket grabbing the beetle and chewing through the shell.

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
Catboy
Jul 4 2014, 02:06 AM
Tiger beetle. These insects are fierce and very fast, their jaws can also tear the cricket quickly.

The cricket is also aggressive and can pounce, but I see the beetle striking at the cricket and ripping it apart before the cricket can get a good grip on it.

I remember on one of those cruel Japanese Bug Fights I used to watch, I saw a tiger beetle ripping the leg off of a tarantula much bigger than itself and causing some serious injury to the spider.
This kind of cricket were used in those bug fights too. Their front limbs really help. I've seen one where the cricket used them to control the head of a camel spider.

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
bump

Vivyx
I love felines, birds and arthropods
mechafire
Jul 4 2014, 07:49 AM
Catboy
Jul 4 2014, 02:06 AM
Tiger beetle. These insects are fierce and very fast, their jaws can also tear the cricket quickly.

The cricket is also aggressive and can pounce, but I see the beetle striking at the cricket and ripping it apart before the cricket can get a good grip on it.

This kind of cricket were used in those bug fights too. Their front limbs really help. I've seen one where the cricket used them to control the head of a camel spider.
I know it was. I'm just more impressed by the beetle
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheROC
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Bulldog Raspy Cricket's wins in those japanese videos were not as impressive as the tiger beetle's
Edited by TheROC, Jul 5 2014, 07:48 AM.

retic
Member Avatar
snake and dinosaur enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
this is a close fight. i give a slight edge to the beetle due to its armor.

RojJones
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

ShadowPredator
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
^Well that's a pretty definitive answer

Grimace
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Isnt that a smaller much more delicate species of cricket?

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
Grimace
Oct 6 2014, 07:25 AM
Isnt that a smaller much more delicate species of cricket?
No

Grimace
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Actually looking at the video again, thats a different species of cricket AND tiger beetle

Creeper
Member Avatar
Carboniferous Arthropod

Tiger beetles are really impressive fighters, they know what they are doing and specialize in taking on larger aggressive inverts. The cricket would just be another meal.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
Poor cricket.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: