Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Rethinking that Leopards can beat Hyenas..can they really?
Topic Started: Aug 23 2014, 12:50 AM (10,603 Views)
ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It's a common thought on many animal vs animal message boards that Leopards in a 1 on 1 situation can automatically beat Hyenas mainly male Leopards. On the contrary, if you really look at the facts about both animals, I think it needs to be rethought. Hyenas in addiction to showing no fear of male leopards (even single hyenas) Leopards paw slaps and growls seem to not phase Hyenas. There's no footage of Lioness killing ADULT Hyenas, all the footage shows Lioness struggling to kill Hyenas and not even injuring them. If a Lioness can't then why should a male Leopard be able too? I also thing that a Jaguar may hurt a Hyena, but they would fail at killing the animal too.

I think the thought of Leopards being able to kill Hyenas is an inaccurate ideology that needs to be re-analyzed amongst animal vs animal contributors!!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kuri
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
taipan already posted reports of lionesses killing a hyena.
I think it is a little bit weired to think, that a lioness is unable to kill a hyeana, when a lioness can kill very big animals like giraffes, zebras, warthogs.

I think the main reason why we see less videos of lionesses killing hyenas is the fact, that a lioness is not very aggressiv.

But let us look at it from the opposite angle.
Where are the reports of single hyeanas killing a leopard or a lioness?

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
kuri
Aug 23 2014, 01:17 AM
taipan already posted reports of lionesses killing a hyena.
I think it is a little bit weired to think, that a lioness is unable to kill a hyeana, when a lioness can kill very big animals like giraffes, zebras, warthogs.

I think the main reason why we see less videos of lionesses killing hyenas is the fact, that a lioness is not very aggressiv.

But let us look at it from the opposite angle.
Where are the reports of single hyeanas killing a leopard or a lioness?

Posted Image

Observation from Pienaar

"One Leopard was killed by another carnivore. The subadult male, M4 died from septicemia arising from severe bite wounds on the neck, shoulders and hindquarters. We found evidence at the site of a prolonged fight between the Leopard and an adult Spotted Hyaena Crocuta crocuta which was consistent with the bite marks."

From Hunter and Balme.

I'd agree lioness vs hyena is very one sided, but I think leopard and hyena is anything but. Whilst there are two accounts of hyenas killing leopards I have yet to see any evidence of a leopard predating an adult hyena, Hunter and Balme recorded these interactions:

Posted Image

However, member Canidae actually contacted the authors and was told that the two hyenas in question were juveniles, the third was too decomposed to be accurately aged. Similarly, in Londolozi a pair of adult brother leopards killed a juvenile hyena and cached it in a tree. From what I've seen, any documented accounts of leopards killing hyenas are all accounts of adult males killing juvenile animals, in one highly popularized case, failing to do so after applying a strangling bite for an extended period of time.

kuri
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
we are talking about 1 on 1 fights!

But i think nature appear to work differently than we think/we are talking about.

Every Animal tries to survive...they are no killing machines.

We are searching for accounts, but why should a leopard or a hyena kill each others.
Yes...lions and hyenas are deadly enemies. But maybe this is the exception.

Don't misunderstand me...i don't think that this kind of fights we are talking about, often happen in the wild.
Edited by kuri, Aug 23 2014, 02:32 AM.

spinosaurus rex
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RojJones is not going to like this thread

kingkazma
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
I know right?

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
kuri
Aug 23 2014, 02:25 AM
we are talking about 1 on 1 fights!
All of those accounts are 1 on 1 fights, Pinearr observed a lone hyena carrying the carcass of an adult leopard but not consuming it, an atypical behaviour of a predator that has just killed a rival, and Hunter and Balme recorded the incident with M4 in which a lone hyena was able to physically dominate a male leopard long enough to inflict " a severe mauling from a Spotted Hyena attack with deep bites delivered to the neck, shoulders, hind quarters and front limbs." which ended up leading to a fatal septisemia infection.

Theres also video evidence of lone hyenas forcing adult male leopards into retreat, even when the leopard has the element of surprise and ambush on it's side:

And these two video's that show not only are hyenas physically strong enough to hold there own in tug of war contests with adult leopards, but are formidable to usurp the cat 1 on 1.

The second video in particular from 0:33 - 0:56 demonstrates that the gap in strength between hyenas and leopards is not significant at all.

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The first account says adult young leopard....so what age is that....and it was only a carcass....did they observe the hyena kill the leopard....nope.

And the second account says sub adult leopard....died from an infection in the wounds...not really a win for the hyena...and what happend to the hyena?? that could of been killed...

Dont forget leopards have fought off a group of hyenas...

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Full Throttle
Aug 23 2014, 02:42 AM

The second video in particular from 0:33 - 0:56 demonstrates that the gap in strength between hyenas and leopards is not significant at all.

Is that an adult male leopard?

ManEater
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
1: There is already a topic on this
2 Not even a single account of a hyena killing an adult leopard, not even sure for cheetah/other adult hyena, the best is a sub adult who died of blood infection, so it's not a direct kill.
3 Even in groups, lioness have got sometimes hard time to kill/injure a leopard, and there are several videos of this kind of encounter, even a male lion in a video didn't want to engage the fight, a thing he would have never do with a hyena, so i fail to see a lone hyena doing better.
4 The account of the leopard who "fails" to kill" the hyena is not a fail, how someone could think a leopard could'nt kill a hyena in his jaws since they kills far bigger animal, the leopard was just not motivated for this.
5 Leopards encoutered by hyenas ar far from the more impressive subspecies of leopards in the world.
6 One time again, a topic made by the troll hater imperialdino.
7 Thanks Full Throttle for the selective "accounts"/video with objective narrations.
Edited by ManEater, Aug 23 2014, 03:11 AM.

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
ManEater
Aug 23 2014, 03:01 AM
1: There is already a topic on this
2 Not even a single account of a hyena killing an adult leopard, not even sure for cheetah/other adult hyena, the best is a sub adult who died of blood infection, so it's not a direct kill.
3 The account of the leopard who "fails" to kill" the hyena is not a fail, how someone could think a leopard could'nt kill a hyena in his jaws since they kills far bigger animal, the leopard was just not motivated for this.
4 Leopards encoutered by hyenas ar far from the more impressive subspecies of leopards in the world.
5 One time again, a topic made by the troll hater imperialdino.
6 Thanks Full Throttle for the selective "accounts"/video with objective narrations.
I just wanted to relate some info on the topic that people may have not been aware of. Those video's clearly show lone hyenas both not intimidated by adult leopards and powerful enough to hold there own in a contest of strength, nothing selective about that, just what the video shows.

I think it's very foolhardy to absolutley favor the leopard, I personally believe this is one of the most even matches on the forum, with the leopard's agility and dexterity being the only real advantages it hold's, and even then it's still debatable how well these advantages would hold up against a full grown matriarch.

Posted Image

RojJones
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Cat (hyena) bear (leopard)

Posted Image

RojJones
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
(Panthera pardus) Young Leopard defending kill from Adult Spotted Hyena :)

Posted Image

http://federicoveronesi.photoshelter.com/image/I0000btt0JpQ13jE

Edited by RojJones, Aug 23 2014, 03:46 AM.

igano
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Thinking that a lioness can't kill a spotted hyena doesn't make sense. A leopard can do it (easy or not) and it is a lot smaller than the lioness.

My dog has never lost to a lion. Does that mean my dog can win a lion? :P

Shin
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
the account w/ the multiple hyenas failing to dominate the lone leopard tom & leopard toms surviving attacks from multiple lions puts the leopard in a different echelon than any canid-morph carnivore could ever hope to be in...

It always comes down to the superior dexterity combined with the explosive athletic ability of the leopard; the inability of a lone hyena to effectively predate adult warthogs also high lights this.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoological Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: