Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Mapusaurus roseae 12 (54.5%)
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus 10 (45.5%)
Total Votes: 22
Mapusaurus roseae v Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Topic Started: Nov 13 2015, 10:14 PM (6,029 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Mapusaurus roseae
Mapusaurus ('earth lizard') was a giant carnosaurian dinosaur from the early Late Cretaceous (Cenomanian stage) of what is now Argentina. It was similar in size to its close relative Giganotosaurus, with the largest known individuals estimated as over 12.6 metres (41 ft) in length* and weight estimates of approximately 3 metric tons to 5.5 metric tons. Mapusaurus was excavated between 1997 and 2001, by the Argentinian-Canadian Dinosaur Project, from an exposure of the Huincul Formation (Rio Limay Group, Cenomanian) at Canadon de Gato. It was described and named by paleontologists Rodolfo Coria and Phil Currie in 2006. The fossil remains of Mapusaurus were discovered in a bone bed containing at least seven individuals of various growth stages. Coria and Currie speculated that this may represent a long term, possibly coincidental accumulation of carcasses (some sort of predator trap) and may provide clues about Mapusaurus behavior. Other known theropod bone beds include the Allosaurus-dominated Cleveland Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry of Utah, an Albertosaurus bone bed from Alberta and a Daspletosaurus bone bed from Montana.

Posted Image

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Spinosaurus is a genus of theropod dinosaur which lived in what is now North Africa, from the lower Albian to lower Cenomanian stages of the Cretaceous period, about 112 to 97 million years ago. Spinosaurus may be the largest of all known carnivorous dinosaurs, even larger than Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus. Estimates published in 2005 and 2007 suggest that it was 12.6 to 18 metres (41 to 59 ft) in length and 7 to 20.9 tonnes (7.7 to 23.0 short tons) in weight. The skull of Spinosaurus was long and narrow like that of a modern crocodilian. Spinosaurus is thought to have eaten fish; evidence suggests that it lived both on land and in water like a modern crocodilian. The distinctive spines of Spinosaurus, which were long extensions of the vertebrae, grew to at least 1.65 meters (5.4 ft) long and were likely to have had skin connecting them, forming a sail-like structure, although some authors have suggested that the spines were covered in fat and formed a hump. Multiple functions have been put forward for this structure, including thermoregulation and display. Dal Sasso et al. (2005) assumed that Spinosaurus and Suchomimus had the same body proportions in relation to their skull lengths, and thereby calculated that Spinosaurus was 16 to 18 meters (52 to 59 ft) in length and 7 to 9 tonnes (7.7 to 9.9 short tons) in weight. The Dal Sasso et al. estimates were criticized because the skull length estimate was uncertain, and (assuming that body mass increases as the cube of body length) scaling Suchomimus which was 11 meters (36 ft) long and 3.8 tonnes (4.2 short tons) in mass to the range of estimated lengths of Spinosaurus would produce an estimated body mass of 11.7 to 16.7 tonnes (12.9 to 18.4 short tons).

Posted Image

Jaws
Nov 13 2015, 03:57 PM
Mapusaurus versus spinosaurus please taipan
Edited by Taipan, Apr 8 2018, 08:56 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Teratophoneus
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
_Spinosaurus_ wins on water, _Mapusaurus_ on land. I think that this is the result of all the _Spinosaurus_ vs Giant Theropod fights, and this one isn't an exception.

SpinoInWonderland
The madness has come back...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Spinosaurus intimidates. Well, most of the time, that is, IMO.

FishFossil
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Spinosaurus would indeed seem very intimidating as far as size goes, but when it comes right down to it, mapusaurus is just better equipped for this one. I do feel this one is MUCH closer than T. rex vs. Spinosaurus though.

Oxalaia
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Spinosaurus is really big but not as well armed as a Mapusaurus.
Mapusaurus is 12-13 metres? Then i think it would defeat a Spinosaurus, but not with ease!

Ausar
Member Avatar
Xi-miqa-can! Xi-miqa-can! Xi-miqa-can!
When push comes to shove, Mapusaurus is the victor on land hands down. Vice versa in water.

Ceratodromeus
Member Avatar
Aspiring herpetologist
What are the weight estimates for the carnosaur?

Ausar
Member Avatar
I could have sworn it was up there with the other giant theropods in terms of weight.

blaze
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Some of the bones in the bonebed suggest animals at least as large as the holotype of Giganotosaurus and the largest Tyrannotitan so about ~7 tonnes.

Ausar
Member Avatar
In that case I stand by my initial input.

The supersaurus
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
If that Mapusaurus isn't intimated by its size, I see it winnning

Jaws
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I think mapu on land spino in water, but in shallow water it starts getting interesting uncertain on that scenario.

Jaws
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Mapusaurus rosae 96/4.

Mapu has agility and experiance in fighting giants larger than it self on its side. And now that I checked the weights Mapu even has a size advantage to Trump it all. It seems I made quite a mismatch, sorry about that.

(facepalm)

Ceratodromeus
Member Avatar
Aspiring herpetologist
while that post was indeed cringe worthy, this probably isn't a mismatch.

bone crusher
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
The largest specimen of both species found so far are about the same weight 6-7 tons correct? If that's the case Mapu wins on land more often than not due to height, better weaponry and speed. In shallow water Mapu takes this as well, but only in deep water where both animals are submerged can Spino fully utilize its advantage of speed and claws.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dinosauria Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.