Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Deadliest Warrior: what would have really happened?
Topic Started: Feb 18 2016, 10:02 AM (1,588 Views)
Ausar
Member Avatar
Deathless Decepticon since '12
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This isn't exactly like the other topics in this subforum, but I'm curious to hear your opinions on something. It seems to be established that Deadliest Warrior wasn't exactly the most accurate program (perhaps to put it lightly). So, looking at the list of Deadliest Warrior episodes, tell me which episodes' outcomes you disagreed with and why.
Offline Profile Quote Top

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
Aside from just the outcomes of the fights being a little odd, there are tons of inaccuracies from the show that you can nitpick.

For example, most of the armor tests involving chainmail used butted mail instead of the more historically accurate (and more effective) riveted mail.
Edited by The All-seeing Night, Feb 18 2016, 10:38 AM.

Ausar
Member Avatar
That's true. word word word

zergthe
Member Avatar
Aspiring [Carnivorous] Sabretooth Expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
My favorite! W o rds
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

Ausar
Member Avatar
Would anyone else like to give their opinions? I would say there are some (not sure exactly how many) episodes that would likely have had a different outcome than Deadliest Warrior predicted (e.g. Spartan vs. samurai), although there were a few (again, not sure exactly how many) episodes that I'm pretty sure they got right (probably because the outcome was rather obvious; e.g. pirate vs. knight).

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
Mongol vs Comanche definitely. The comparison didn't seem fair in my opinion. The Comanche won due to his bow and pole arm supposedly being more effective.

The camanche's bow had no advantage that I can think of. The Native American warrior's pole arm was more effective than the Mongols because it was used from horse back, while the weapon selected for the Mongol was used on foot. The problem is the Mongols indeed had Polearms meant to be used from horseback. For swear wordsake, in the very next season genghis khan even had a horseback lance.

Ausar
Member Avatar
I think I've also heard criticisms for George Washington vs. Napoleon Bonaparte. Episodes like this provided the basis for an American bias penchant in the program.
Edited by Ausar, Feb 21 2016, 09:38 AM.

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
Are there any episodes that you liked? Personally I thought the episodes Shaolin vs Maori, Al Capone vs Jesse James, and Somali pirate vs Mendelian cartel were cool.

Ausar
Member Avatar
Viking vs. samurai, Spartan vs. ninja (and I guess samurai in the BfB special), pirate vs. knight*, Aztec vs. Zande, and Jesse James vs. Al Capone.

*The very thing that made it ridiculous also made it interesting to see IMO. It was stupid of them to pit a flintlock gun-toting pirate against a knight who was still hacking, stabbing, and firing arrows to fight, but at the same time it brought up the prospect of a guy reacting to very influential technology he's never seen, which interested me.
Edited by Ausar, Feb 23 2016, 09:52 AM.

Ceratodromeus
Member Avatar
Aspiring herpetologist
The jesse james/ Al capone one was my favorite
can't really comment on the inaccuracies of the episodes because i know very little about most of the things on the show :P
Edited by Ceratodromeus, Feb 21 2016, 10:41 AM.

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Drom King
The ninja should have killed the Spartan.

Who yells when you're about to kill a guy from ambush and alert them to you? That was stupid.

He literally went AHHHHHHHH and then the Spartan turned to shield bash his ass.

Ausar
Member Avatar
There was also the Yakuza vs. Mafia episode. Anyone else consider it a bit convenient that when the former boss had that of the latter at gunpoint, it turned out he was out of rounds?

Tyrant
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Any deathbattle that involved artillery weapon. What sort of idiot would drag a ballista to a small skirmish?

In rajput vs roman, they brought out an inauthentic katar.

Samurai vs viking, most samurai didn't use naginatas as they were considered a woman's weapon. The kanabo also is not a weapon that wasn't really used historically, at least, not one as big as the one they brought in. Personally I think a Danish warrior would have the edge over a samurai but that's a topic for another day.

Pirate vs knight is also suspect just because the pirate got a stupid amount of kills with a cutlass, a weapon that would do diddly dick against chain mail much less plate armor.

There are countless other examples but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Quote:

Who yells when you're about to kill a guy from ambush and alert them to you? That was stupid.

Well if the ninja killed a spartan through a sneak attack it wouldn't be a fight would it? You need to remember that these simulations are intended to entertain more than they are to inform.

Speaking off that match, while a spartan would dismantle a ninja in a straight up fight, smacking someone with a shield is not nearly as deadly as the show claimed it was.
Edited by Tyrant, Feb 22 2016, 10:22 AM.

The All-seeing Night
Dimension of mind
Any one else find it weird how much the emphasized the Spartan's shield, but barely mentioned the roman centurion's?

btw, a dude named thrand on youtube made a whole series picking apart the viking vs samurai episode.

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Drom King
Tyrant
Feb 22 2016, 10:21 AM
Any deathbattle that involved artillery weapon. What sort of idiot would drag a ballista to a small skirmish?

In rajput vs roman, they brought out an inauthentic katar.

Samurai vs viking, most samurai didn't use naginatas as they were considered a woman's weapon. The kanabo also is not a weapon that wasn't really used historically, at least, not one as big as the one they brought in. Personally I think a Danish warrior would have the edge over a samurai but that's a topic for another day.

Pirate vs knight is also suspect just because the pirate got a stupid amount of kills with a cutlass, a weapon that would do diddly dick against chain mail much less plate armor.

There are countless other examples but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Quote:

Well if the ninja killed a spartan through a sneak attack it wouldn't be a fight would it? You need to remember that these simulations are intended to entertain more than they are to inform.

Speaking off that match, while a spartan would dismantle a ninja in a straight up fight, smacking someone with a shield is not nearly as deadly as the show claimed it was.
I get they needed a fight, but they could have did it to where the ninja didn't look like a dumbass when he screamed then wondered why the Spartan beat his ass.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fantasy & Fictional Face-offs' · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: