Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
Achillobator giganticus 0 (0%)
Dakotaraptor steini 1 (100%)
Total Votes: 1
Achillobator giganticus v Dakotaraptor steini
Topic Started: Dec 29 2016, 10:59 PM (246 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Achillobator giganticus
Achillobator (pronounced /əˌkɪlɵˈbeɪtɔr/; "Achilles' warrior/hero") is a genus of dromaeosaurid theropod dinosaur from the late Cretaceous Period of what is now Mongolia, about 90 million years ago. It was probably an active bipedal predator, hunting with the large sickle-shaped claw on the second toe of each hind foot. It was among the largest dromaeosaurs; the holotype and only known individual of Achillobator is estimated at 5 to 6 m (16.4 to 19.7 ft) long. The fossil remains of Achillobator were first discovered during a Mongolian and Russian field expedition in 1989, though it was not described and named until ten years later, in 1999, by Mongolian paleontologist Altangerel Perle, and Americans Mark Norell and Jim Clark, although the description was not complete and was actually published without the knowledge of the latter two authors.

Posted Image

Dakotaraptor steini
Dakotaraptor steini is a species of large carnivorous theropod dromaeosaurid dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous of North America. Dakotaraptor was about five to six metres long, which makes it one of the largest dromaeosaurids known. It had long arms. One of the lower arm bones shows bumps for feathers, proving (suggesting) that Dakotaraptor was feathered. It also had long rear legs with a very large sickle claw on the second toe. The claw could be used to kill relatively large plant-eating dinosaurs. Dakotaraptor is exceptionally large for a dromaeosaurid; it has an estimated adult length of 5.5 m (18 ft). This approaches the size of the largest known dromaeosaurid, Utahraptor. Dakotaraptor however, does not have the proportions and adaptations of Utahraptor, but more closely resembles smaller dromaeosaurids like Deinonychus.

Posted Image

FelipeDBKO
Dec 23 2016, 02:37 AM
JAchillobator giganticus V.S Dakotaraptor steini
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Megasaurus
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Posted Image
i think 50/50 now. size and weapons are same??

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Soup
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
True, but like Taipan said, Daktoraptor does not have the proportions and adaptations of Utahraptor, but more closely resembles smaller dromaeosaurids like Deinonychus. So maybe Achillobator has a slight advantage?

FelipeDBKO
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Thanks, and sorry for the delay.

This fight depend on the sizes, and as both are 5-6m long, the two will have the same size in this battle.

I'm not so sure, but I'll vote for Dakotaraptor. It was more evolved and, consequently, probably smarter. It also had a certain hunting experience, hunting, for example, Tyrannosauruses.
Edited by FelipeDBKO, Jan 11 2017, 10:07 AM.

Ausar
Member Avatar
Deathless Decepticon since '12
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

It was more evolved and, consequently, probably smarter.
It's been stated before and I'll say it to you: being "more evolved" is not an advantage.

Carnotaur
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

It was more evolved and, consequently, probably smarter.

Appearing later does not necessarily means smarter(at least not in this case,where Dakotaraptor didn't evolved from Achillobator),and being smarter probably wouldn't help much,unless the difference is great,but there is nothing suggesting Dakotaraptor was significantly smarter than its opponent anyway.

Quote:

It also had a certain hunting experience, hunting, for example, Tyrannosauruses.

For what it is worth,there also were tyrannosauroids in Achillobator's habitat,including Alectrosaurus,but I odn't think that should really be considered here.
Edited by Carnotaur, Jan 11 2017, 10:22 AM.

zergthe
Member Avatar
Aspiring Machairodont Expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, what is the estimated size of Achillobater?

Carnotaur
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
zergthe
Jan 11 2017, 10:18 AM
Its size estimates seems to be similar to those of Dakotaraptor(5-6 meters long).

zergthe
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Carnotaur
Jan 11 2017, 10:25 AM
zergthe
Its size estimates seems to be similar to those of Dakotaraptor(5-6 meters long).

And what of its weight?

Carnotaur
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
zergthe
Jan 11 2017, 10:26 AM
Carnotaur
Jan 11 2017, 10:25 AM
zergthe

And what of its weight?
The estimated mass was of >300 kg(Alan Hamilton et al.),but I don't know what mass estimation method led to that result.

As for the match:According to Perle et al. (1999),Achillobator had "hindlimbs very stout, massive,and comparable short",what seems to be in contrast with Dakotaraptor's ligthy limb bones.Because of that,I'd expect Achillobator be the more robust animal,and thus should have the upper hand here,considering that both had similar weaponry.

zergthe
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmmm...how deadly do you think the size advantage of Dakotaraptor is?
I'm totally not trying to figure out how else to combat you on Smilodon versus Dakotaraptor.....
lol

Kiryu2012
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
50/50 for me, especially if they're of equal size here. They both have similar weaponry and are more than capable of killing each other.

Carnotaur
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

how deadly do you think the size advantage of Dakotaraptor is?

Well,we don't even know if it had a size advantage.They apparently had similar lengths,so if anything Achillobator should be heavier.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Dinosaur Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.