Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
European (Brown) Hare (group of 2-4) 1 (100%)
Mute Swan 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 1
European (Brown) Hare (group of 2 - 4) v Mute Swan
Topic Started: Feb 15 2017, 05:42 AM (214 Views)
Vivyx
I love felines, birds and arthropods
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
European (Brown) Hare (group of 2 - 4) - Lepus europaeus
The European hare (Lepus europaeus), also known as the brown hare, is a species of hare native to Europe and parts of Asia. It is among the largest hare species and is adapted to temperate, open country. Hares are herbivorous and feed mainly on grasses and herbs, supplementing these with twigs, buds, bark and field crops, particularly in winter. Their natural predators include large birds of prey, canids and felids. They rely on high-speed endurance running to escape from their enemies; having long, powerful limbs and large nostrils. This hare is one of the largest of the lagomorphs. Its head and body length can range from 60 to 75 cm (24 to 30 in) with a tail length of 7.2 to 11 cm (2.8 to 4.3 in). The body mass is typically between 3 and 5 kg (6.6 and 11.0 lb). The hare's elongated ears range from 9.4 to 11.0 cm (3.7 to 4.3 in) from the notch to tip. It also has long hind feet that have a length of between 14 and 16 cm (5.5 and 6.3 in).

Posted Image

Mute Swan - Cygnus olor
The Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) is a species of swan, and thus a member of the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. It is native to much of Europe and Asia, and (as a rare winter visitor) the far north of Africa. It is also an introduced species in North America, Australasia and southern Africa. The name 'mute' derives from it being less vocal than other swan species. Measuring 125 to 170 centimetres (49 to 67 in) in length, this large swan is wholly white in plumage with an orange bill bordered with black. It is recognisable by its pronounced knob atop the bill. Adults of this large swan typically range from 140 to 160 cm (55 to 63 in) long, although can range in extreme cases from 127 to 170 cm (50 to 67 in), with a 200 to 240 cm (79 to 94 in) wingspan. The Mute Swan is one of the heaviest flying birds, with males (known as cobs) averaging about 12 kg (26 lb) and the slightly smaller females (known as pens) weighing about 9 kg (20 lb). While the top normal weight for a big cob is 15 kg (33 lb), one unusually big Polish cob weighed almost 23 kg (51 lb) and this counts as the largest verified weight for a flying bird, although it has been questioned whether this heavyweight could still take flight.

Posted Image

I made this match-up out of interest from an article of two European rabbits apparently killing a king brown snake in a coordinated attack:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/killer-rabbits-butcher-snakes/news-story/4570ad5a68075dc93c0aa9f57ad3c81f

I'm still not really sure what to make of it but it still sounds quite interesting if it's authentic. That being said, I haven't seen any evidence for coordinated hare aggression and thus I made this match-up myself in the Fantasy and Fictional Face-offs section for a hypothetical scenario!
I thought that this would be interesting to post here as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_%28swan%29

This article also says that mute swans will displace waterfowl from nesting and feeding grounds by attacking, injuring and even killing other waterfowl:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12145_59132_59333-263418--,00.html
Edited by Vivyx, Feb 15 2017, 06:30 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Top

Vivyx
I love felines, birds and arthropods
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As for whom I think would win, I think that this match-up is really dependent on the actual numbers of the hare group. I didn't know what exact number to give for the hare group, so I made it a range that people could choose from instead. I think that two hares would be too small to kill/combat the swan, and I don't think that it would be very hard for the swan to kill one hare if given enough time which would leave the group with only one hare remaining. Three hares would stand a better chance, but I still think that this would be dependent on how careful the hares are in timing their attacks, the swan could kill one hare easily but I do think that it is possible that the hares could also play it safe by maneuvering around the swan with their superior reflexes. The long neck of the swan could indeed be a vulnerable point, but I also imagine it as giving it an important reach advantage in being able to interact without needing to get too close. I think that four hares would be too much for the swan, though.

I've heard that swans and geese are capable of breaking arms, but I think that this only applies to young and elderly people.

Quote:

In 1999, 107 cases of attacks by Canada geese on people and 94 traffic hazards due to Canada geese were reported (US Fish and Wildlife Service Division of Migratory Birds 2009). With Canada geese being in proximity to humans, the likelihood of an attack is greater. Attacks primarily occur during spring when Canada geese are nesting and can cause “serious physical injury, such as broken bones, head injuries, and emotional distress” (Ohio Department of Natural Resources 2010).
Source: http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/canadageese/HumanSafety.aspx

Hare attack on human:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/kill-the-wabbit-crazed-hare-attacks-austrian-couple-a-477537.html

I wonder what other people's $0.02 on this fight are.

This fight might seem strange (it definitely is to me), but there are already many far-fetched match-ups all over the Interspecific Conflict Directory (e.g. African Forest Buffalo v 2 Eastern Gorillas)

If these were 2 - 4 Efrafa rabbits (from Watership Down), then I would most certainly back them lol.
Edited by Vivyx, Feb 18 2017, 01:03 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fantasy & Fictional Face-offs' · Next Topic »
Add Reply