Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Grey Wolf 15 (93.8%)
Serbian Defence Dog 1 (6.3%)
Total Votes: 16
Grey Wolf v Serbian Defence Dog
Topic Started: May 2 2017, 09:08 PM (1,494 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Grey Wolf - Canis lupus
The Grey Wolf (Canis lupus ) is the largest wild canid, males averaging between 70 and 110 pounds depending on subspecies and weighing up to 176 pounds. The Wolf has a specialized body that has made it one of the world's most efficient hunters. Its powerful neck is a very important adaptation: it has to be strong to support the wolf's large head and is crucial for bringing down prey. The skull is 31cm (12 inches) long and is armed with an impressive array of large canines and carnassial teeth which, when coupled with huge jaw muscles that are evident from the large sagittal crest and wide zygomatic arches, give it an incredible biteforce that is strong enough to break the bones of prey and even crack the femur of moose. Wolves primarily feed on medium to large sized ungulates (up to the size of bison 10–15 times larger than themselves), though they are not fussy eaters. Medium and small sized animals that may supplement the diet of wolves include marmots, beaver, hares, badgers, foxes, weasels, ground squirrels, mice, hamsters, voles and other rodents, as well as insectivores.

Posted Image

Serbian Defense Dog
The Serbian Defense Dog is a re-creation of the old Serbian Mastiff of the Middle Ages, which became extinct during the early 20th century. Initially disregarded as yet another "cocktail" breed, the SDD is today deservedly a well-known and respected guardian in its native Yugoslavia. his is an athletic Molosser, sure-footed, strongly boned and wide-chested. The neck is very muscular and the head is elegantly broad, with powerful jaws and a moderately defined stop. A well-bred SDD is a squarely built mastiff, with a straight back and broad shoulders. The tail is always docked and the ears are left in their natural state. Size: The size of the male is 25 inches to 29 inches and females 23 inches to 27 inches. Weight: Males from 121 pounds to 154 pounds, females from 88 pounds to 132 pounds.

Posted Image

SquamataOrthoptera
May 2 2017, 10:33 AM
Serbian Defense Dog vs Grey Wolf?

Considering how much they can vary, and how they have apperantly close lineage to Wolfs, it could be interesting.

Close lineage to wolves? Any dogfighting talk or imagery will be deleted with the poster.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SquamataOrthoptera
Member Avatar
Orthoptera and Squamata
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Taipan.

About the close lineage to wolfs.
Quote:

It was developed by Nenad Gavrilovic, a Bosnian herbalist and medicine man in the early 1980's, but the final standard was written in 1991. Using his domesticated pack of Serbian wolves, working Bosnian Tornjaks, German Rottweilers, Neapolitan Mastiffs, American Staffordshire Terriers and game-bred Pit Bull Terriers, Gavrilovic created a breed of immense physical strength, fantastic guarding instincts and impressive fighting abilities.

http://molosserdogs.com/m/articles/view/951-serbian-defense-dog
Considering tbe breed was complete in 1991, so it is rather recent, and the creation directly involved domesticated Wolfs (zoo wolfs?) I would say that there lineage to Wolves is close then other Dogs. Im not rather knowledgeable on Dogs thought, so I may be mistaken with some of this.

The rest of the breed is made up of other interesting breeds also, such as Pitbull species, Rottweilers, Neapolitan Mastiffs, and Bosnian Tornjaks. Even excluding the Wolfs, this does sound like a fairly formidable combination.

The Animals can also vary quiet a bit, some have a more Shepard look to them, some look more Rottweilerish, and some look more like Mastiffs/Pitbulls.

Il post more on the actual fight in a later post, I just wanted to get the whole Wolf lineage thing out of the way.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Megasaurus
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
At parity wolf wins.
Timber wolf wins most time but other subspecies 50/50 or lose

SquamataOrthoptera
Member Avatar
Orthoptera and Squamata
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Megasaurus
May 2 2017, 11:04 PM
At parity wolf wins.
Mind actually putting down a few reasons?

Grazier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
SquamataOrthoptera
May 2 2017, 11:32 PM
Megasaurus
At parity wolf wins.
Lol. Welcome to the world of dog supporting. That's cute how you expect reasons.

AiM4
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
SquamataOrthoptera
Megasaurus
At parity wolf wins.
might be the usual reasons

-wild animal
-being more rugged
-more hunting instincs
etc

ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
How agile are Siberian Defense Dogs?

SquamataOrthoptera
Member Avatar
Orthoptera and Squamata
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ImperialDino
May 3 2017, 06:59 AM
How agile are Siberian Defense Dogs?
Quote:

Siberian

Lol

Anyway as for how agile they are, they are decently agile from what I can tell.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The Dog jumping is apperantly 70kg
http://molosserdogs.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=72574

This may also help, as it talks about the Dogs build.
Quote:

This is an athletic Molosser, sure-footed, strongly boned and wide-chested. The neck is very muscular and the head is elegantly broad, with powerful jaws and a moderately defined stop. A well-bred SDD is a squarely built mastiff, with a straight back and broad shoulders.

http://molosserdogs.com/m/articles/view/951-serbian-defense-dog

So I hope this helps awnsere your question.

Can the People who voted Wolf actually try and provide a argument?
Edited by SquamataOrthoptera, May 3 2017, 08:16 AM.

Mastodon
Member Avatar
Pleistocene
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

"Its wild, wins 11/10. House Puppy stands no chance agaisnt alpha wolf, bigger skull and killer instinct"

Thats the best argument l read from wolf fanboys, before I discovered this forum.

Edited by Mastodon, May 4 2017, 04:45 AM.

SquamataOrthoptera
Member Avatar
Orthoptera and Squamata
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mastodon
May 4 2017, 04:42 AM
Quote:

"Its wild, wins 11/10. House Puppy stands no chance agaisnt alpha wolf, bigger skull and killer instinct"

Thats the best argument l read from wolf fanboys, before I discovered this forum.

Ok then.

Anyway, this the poll is a slaughter fest with no arguments, sad.
I just noticed 2 responses slipped under my eyes, odd.
Quote:

Lol. Welcome to the world of dog supporting. That's cute how you expect reasons.

I kinda knew I woudent be getting one, and if I did, lets just say they woudent be incredibly detailed.
AiM4
May 3 2017, 01:31 AM
SquamataOrthoptera
Megasaurus
At parity wolf wins.
might be the usual reasons

-wild animal
-being more rugged
-more hunting instincs
etc
Woudent all 3 of thoes just fall under being a wild animal?
Edited by SquamataOrthoptera, May 4 2017, 09:36 AM.

Kurtz
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The conformation of this dog and the breeds involved put the ideal weight of sdd in @ anything btwn 90 and 115 pounds not a single pound more.
In this range of weight that perfectly match the average wolf i give to the wolf 6-7/10. Why?
1. this is a rebuild so the original blood is vanished and the goal of recreate a very old breed is always hard as hell.
2. lack of solid accounts of these dogs killing a wolf more often than not.

Edited by Kurtz, May 4 2017, 05:53 PM.

SquamataOrthoptera
Member Avatar
Orthoptera and Squamata
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

1. this is a rebuild so the original blood is vanished and the goal of recreate a very old breed is always hard as hell.

Sure, but even still, the Dog is a formidable breed regardless.

Quote:

2. lack of solid accounts of these dogs killing a wolf more often than not.

I would be curious to see interactions between Wolfs and these Dogs.

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How can someone vote for a domestic dog over a wolf? The main kill weapon for both is the jaw and a wolf trumps any dog in that department....pointless contest...

Mastodon
Member Avatar
Pleistocene
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Anyway, this the poll is a slaughter fest with no arguments, sad.

The only guy I in this forum who would vote in favor of a dog would be animalkingdom. can you give a reason why the dog can win with its more robust body?
Edited by Mastodon, May 5 2017, 03:03 AM.

SquamataOrthoptera
Member Avatar
Orthoptera and Squamata
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

How can someone vote for a domestic dog over a wolf? The main kill weapon for both is the jaw and a wolf trumps any dog in that department....pointless contest...

Theres a bit more to a fight then bite you know, this Dogs head is also very large that can be seen in the pictures below, and is more then enought to kill the Wolf
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Quote:

The only guy I in this forum who would vote in favor of a dog would be animalkingdom. can you give a reason why the dog can win with its more robust body?

Its bigger on average with a more robust body as said by you, with a likely aggression advantage and a large and powerful bite to boot. In my eyes, its definetly a worthy contender for the Wolf.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: