Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Is the skull of the JP T. rex really oversized?
Topic Started: Nov 29 2017, 02:15 AM (1,877 Views)
moldovan0731
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
It's usually said to be a bit oversized, but looking at these pictures, I'm not sure it's really longer than 1.52 m:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ferreomus
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sue would would probably have a smaller head

Thalassophoneus
Member Avatar
Pelagic Killer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe not oversized, but the elevated eyes and triangular jugals are inaccurate.

moldovan0731
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Thalassophoneus
Nov 29 2017, 03:37 AM
Maybe not oversized, but the elevated eyes and triangular jugals are inaccurate.
I know the head features of the JP T. rex are inaccurate. Only the skull size is a thing I'm not sure of (oversized or not). I would like blaze to write here.
Ferreomus
Nov 29 2017, 03:34 AM
Sue would would probably have a smaller head
You say that based on that the skull of Sue is 1.52 m long according to Scott Hartman and Franoys?
Edited by moldovan0731, Nov 29 2017, 04:51 AM.

TheBatmeme368
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
The animatronic itself is fine, but the CGI model changes a bit, in some shots its bigger than others, and the head is also proportionally bigger.

Carnotaur
Member Avatar
Saprotrophic Organism
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

You say that based on that the skull of Sue is 1.52 m long according to Scott Hartman and Franoys?

Wasn't it around 141cm long? I thougth the 152cm long skull was a result of an erroneous estimate for another T.rex specimen...
Edited by Carnotaur, Nov 29 2017, 07:45 AM.

moldovan0731
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Carnotaur
Nov 29 2017, 07:42 AM
Quote:

Wasn't it around 141cm long? I thougth the 152cm long skull was a result of an erroneous estimate for another T.rex specimen...
It was said to be 1.41 m long before Scott Hartman and Franoys made their skeletal restorations, and yes, MOR 008 was a specimen which was claimed to have a 1.5 m long skull, but it's skull turned out to be at least 10 cm shorter than that (than 1.5 m). So, the skull of Sue was estimated to be 1.41 m long until the most accurate skeletals (made by Scott Hartman and Franoys) have been made. (both with a skull length of 1.52 m for Sue). The skull of MOR 008 got downsized and the skull of Sue got upsized.
Edited by moldovan0731, Nov 30 2017, 02:25 AM.

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
Wouldn't it be more sensible to compare the head to the rest of the body than to some measuring stick to see how oversized it is?

moldovan0731
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Jinfengopteryx
Nov 30 2017, 04:52 AM
Wouldn't it be more sensible to compare the head to the rest of the body than to some measuring stick to see how oversized it is?
What measuring stick are you talking about? Also, I was unable to find a complete side view of the T. rex animatronic.

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
A measuring stick would be something like the humans in the pictures. You guess their heights and compare the skull to it (though it is imperfect, since you don't know their heights).

moldovan0731
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Jinfengopteryx
Nov 30 2017, 05:47 AM
A measuring stick would be something like the humans in the pictures. You guess their heights and compare the skull to it (though it is imperfect, since you don't know their heights).
Oh, okay, but still, I was unable to find a complete side view of the T. rex animatronic. As for the height of humans, I would try the heights of 1.7 m, 1.75 m and 1.8 m to compare, but still, I can only make a guess about the skull length of it based on these human height guesses.

Johnny Rex
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
I think it is possible for the larger specimen of Tyrannosaurs to have skulls measured 2 meters.

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
I don't know what you mean by "it is possible", but you would need a truly enormous freak specimen for that.

SuetheRex
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Rexy is by herself probably the maximum dimensions a Rex can obtain. She is 13.4 meters long. Sue is 12.3 meters long. Rexy probably closes 11000 kg in weight.

MarkTaylor46
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Quote:

Is the skull of the JP T. rex really oversized?

The JP rex doesn't have a skull. Do you mean the head?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Debate & discussion of dinosaur related topics. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.