Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi Active Multi Inactive
Add Reply
Do you think you will see World War 3 in your lifetime?
Yes 4 (33.3%)
No 1 (8.3%)
Maybe 7 (58.3%)
Total Votes: 12
Do you think you will see World War 3 in your lifetime?
Topic Started: Dec 2 2017, 01:50 AM (399 Views)
Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The title says it all.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zergthe
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There’s always potential (as well as lots right now) but I’m currently undecided

Thalassophoneus
Member Avatar
Pelagic Killer
Maybe. Who knows what may have happened in the next decades?

Right now I feel pretty fascinated thinking what I might see in my life. I imagine myself being alive and old in 2080.

Mammuthus
Member Avatar
Proboscidean Enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I certainly hope there won’t be another war. It is rather hard to tell wether or not there will be one.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Things are not looking good on the Korean Peninsula. Whether that would involve as many countries as WW2 I doubt it, but the death toll should it become Nuclear, could get close to that of WW2!

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
Hm, deterrence has successfully prevented any sort of World War III from escalating in the Cold War. I see no reason why this should change now.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
I think Kim Jong-un is considerably crazier than most political leaders during the Cold War, though. The only way the situation in the Korean peninsula could become some true World War, I believe, is if China decided to help them. But I don't really see why the Chinese would want to wage war with their greatest economic partners to protect some insane regime from a rather insignificant country, so I think that, if North Korea does try to nuke some country, it will be largely on its own.

I actually think the Middle East would be a more likely source of a WW3, if Iran does manage to make some nuclear bombs they would be a great problem, and they could tap into feelings of muslim solidarity, anti-Israel hatred, and antiamericanism to gather some allies in the region, I think.

K9 Bite
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
North Korean is pretty miniscule in comparison to the United States Arsenal....https://youtu.be/w10dgthpDqY. Most of the drama with Kim I believe is just intimdation tactics and media hype. I believe North Korea is more scared of the U.S.A than they are of it. Just my two cenrs there though, don't know too much about the whole tension between North Korea and United States.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

This is interesting : Even without nukes, war on the Korean Peninsula could kill up to 300,000 in days, U.S. report says

With Nukes, that could go into the millions!

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
Mauro20
Dec 4 2017, 06:03 AM
I actually think the Middle East would be a more likely source of a WW3, if Iran does manage to make some nuclear bombs they would be a great problem, and they could tap into feelings of muslim solidarity, anti-Israel hatred, and antiamericanism to gather some allies in the region, I think.
Regarding the Middle East, it would be absolutely frightening if someone with the mentality of ISIS (by that I mean people who believe that dying as a martyr sends you straight to paradise and hence are not afraid of death --> deterrence doesn't work) acquired nuclear weapon. A nuclear war would be certain in this case without deterrence. I wonder if the Iranian government is that insane.

Spartan
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mauro20
Dec 4 2017, 06:03 AM
I think Kim Jong-un is considerably crazier than most political leaders during the Cold War, though. The only way the situation in the Korean peninsula could become some true World War, I believe, is if China decided to help them. But I don't really see why the Chinese would want to wage war with their greatest economic partners to protect some insane regime from a rather insignificant country, so I think that, if North Korea does try to nuke some country, it will be largely on its own.
What makes you think he's crazy?

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
How could anyone grow up as the center of a paranoid personality cult and be normal? While I don't think he is as insane as some previous North Korean leaders (who claimed they didn't need to defecate, for example), his policies are still pretty nutty. Why else would a small and miserable country like North Korea act the way it does? While his people are starving, his main concerns are partying, threatening other countries and making nuclear bombs.
Edited by Mauro20, Dec 5 2017, 10:44 PM.

Spartan
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That doesn't make him crazy, just an asshole. Nuclear weapons make the price to invade North Korea too high for any enemy and he does not plan on using them for a first strike since that would mean certain death for Kim.
If his goal is to stay in power at all costs he's acting pretty rational.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply