Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi Active Multi Inactive
Add Reply
Leopard defeats gorilla in face to face fight!; Evidence that a leopard CAN kill a gorilla face to face
Topic Started: Dec 4 2017, 05:07 PM (2,438 Views)
Jake Simmonds
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Alright guys I have found evidence to back a leopard over a gorilla.

In 1949 there was a fight between a 185lb panther and a 315lb gorilla, the gorilla got its arm torn off and barely put up a fight.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18123333

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/63066994

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/22766914

even has a picture of it

http://historicimages.com/1949-press-photo-the-one-eyed-black-panther-after-a-fight-with-a-gorilla

considering it was reported in newspapers which all say the same thing it seems pretty real to me.
If this is posted in the wrong forum its because I dont have "permission" to post it in the one with animal battles
Edited by Jake Simmonds, Dec 4 2017, 05:09 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ferreomus
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Then I'm inclined to favour the leopard

Jake Simmonds
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Absolutely! Perfect evidence here guys, much better than all that other stuff which gets posted.

Ferreomus
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jake Simmonds
Dec 4 2017, 05:47 PM
Absolutely! Perfect evidence here guys, much better than all that other stuff which gets posted.
315lb is definetly a Male

zergthe
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I find it suspicious that “the gorilla didn’t put up much of a fight” and the news stories are literally word-for-word the same

We have also zero background knowledge on the fitness and heatlth of either animal, and background in general.

Mammuthus
Member Avatar
Proboscidean Enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ferreomus
Dec 4 2017, 05:56 PM
Jake Simmonds
Dec 4 2017, 05:47 PM
315lb is definetly a Male
Yeah, but a 315lbs Gorilla would be a smaller Male since they tend to be larger than that.
Edited by Mammuthus, Dec 5 2017, 01:41 AM.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Whilst I think a Leopard has a fair chance against a Gorilla, what happens in captivity should be taken with some caution. A Zoological Journal reported a Fishing Cat killed a Leopard twice its size for example:

"The reference to fishing cats killing leopards originates from a 1929 reference (Finn 1929). Finn reports on a
captive fishing cat breaking through a dividing wall into the next cage containing a tame, young female
leopard, twice the size of the fishing cat, and killing it."
https://www.pestsmart.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Prionailurus_viverrinus_VPCendorsed_270410.pdf

Kazanshin
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good old zoo incidents. I still remember the tiger getting killed by the pitbull.

TheROC
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
while I do favor a leopard over a gorilla, can you really say the gorilla put up no fight if it lasted 2 hours like the article said?

Vivyx
Member Avatar
Felines, sharks, birds, arthropods
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
These old accounts of captive fights shouldn't be used as a representative for what would happen in a realistic scenario of a fight to the death. Lions and tigers have been recorded killing polar bears in circuses and zoos, a sloth bear killed a polar bear on one occasion, Grazier mentioned something before of a domesticated male African lion not being able to do anything against four working bulldogs, bears and lions had apparently knocked down bulls with mere pawswipes, cougars have killed bears, and a fishing cat killed a leopardess. Does that mean this would all actually happen realistically? I could go on really. I'm not trying to doubt that a leopard could indeed kill a male gorilla, but these accounts aren't trustworthy or relevant enough to count as evidence for anything.

Posted Image

The Quincy Morning Whig

Saturday, January 15, 1898

Page: 5
Edited by Vivyx, Dec 5 2017, 10:40 AM.

Jake Simmonds
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
The reason i said the gorilla didnt put up a fight is because one article on it somewhere said the gorilla would just run around the cage and try to wrestle it but fail to do any damage.

I dont know why it being in a zoo means its not legitimate, the fight lasted ages and it was face to face. It was probably an inexperienced cat since it was in captivity.

And I dont see how it could be fake either, the links I posted had multiple newspapers at the same time reporting the same incident, the last one even has a picture of the cat. So unless someones made multiple fake newspapers, photographed them and stuck them on some site I cant see why it would be fake.

The newspapers which report them are all legitimate papers from that time.
I mean I just cant see why being in a zoo would make any difference.
Edited by Jake Simmonds, Dec 5 2017, 01:27 PM.

Grazier
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Perfect evidence? This is actually inadmissible evidence in accordance with forum rules is it not?

Anyway, the fact the gorilla "barely put up a fight", even more so than the fact it was an organised captive fight, to me makes it irrelevant. Any wild animal can become a pampered soft naive pet with no concept of violence, just like a soft nancy boy human could freak out and panic and curl up into a ball and lose to a mean raccoon, the same can happen to any animal.

You might say " well the leopard was captive too" but no, it doesnt work that way, some captive animals can still be rough and mean and violent. It depends on a lot of factors. The two lions who famously were pitted against bulldogs by George Wombwell in 1825, and the vast contrast in their respective performances, illustrates the point perfectly.

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
TheROC
Dec 5 2017, 10:07 AM
while I do favor a leopard over a gorilla, can you really say the gorilla put up no fight if it lasted 2 hours like the article said?
A 'huge' gorilla getting his arm ripped off by a leopard that's a good deal smaller than him also seems unlikely to me.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jake Simmonds
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Well the fight lasted for 2 hours so it was probably mauling at it for along time.

Apes are suppose to have thin skin.
it wasnt an organised fight.
Edited by Jake Simmonds, Dec 5 2017, 04:31 PM.

Wombatman
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thin skin... have you ever seen a gorilla? Those arms arent getting out of their sockets with a leopard bite. That would require an incredible ammount of force, or an extremely sharp blade. Wildebeests and young zebras sometimes stomp leopards to the ground in a fight, but a gorilla of the same size gets his arm torn off?
Im getting flashbacks from the polar bear-murdering wolverine...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoological Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply