Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hyenas vs. Domestic Dogs; Compendium
Topic Started: Jan 10 2012, 05:40 AM (1,137 Views)
Canidae
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
William Daniell (1820) ''Sketches representing the native tribes, animals, and scenery of southern Africa''

Posted Image
Sketches of Indian Field Sports, 1827

Posted Image
Theodore Roosevelt (1910) African game trails

Posted Image
James Stevenson-Hamilton (1917) Animal life in Africa, Vol. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV_0oiQHO54&feature=player_embedded

"The relationship between hyenas and dogs in Harar is quite complex; there being a bunch of different factors that affect the ways in which the two species interact. The most striking aspect is the individual differences within each species. Bebe, for example, really hates dogs and she growls whenever a dog comes near and she sometimes walks towards dogs just to intimidate them and make them move away. While Deraltu is not really bothered by them at all and I’ve seen a dog walk right past her without eliciting any reaction other than the usual pivoting of the ears as the canine passed by. Jalla is quite afraid of dogs and she usually avoids them, even if they’re behind a closed gate. But in general, hyenas seem to dislike dogs, rather than fear them, and they have to tolerate a lot of persecution from dogs within the walled town. In fact, one of my methods for locating hyenas is to listen to where there are dogs barking like crazy and go to that place. Invariably I’ll find a hyena munching on a bone while a dogs barks its head off from a safe distance, or from behind a gate or even standing on a wall. The hyenas don’t seem excessively bothered by the constant barking but it really grates on my nerves. One time there was a dog persecuting Willi while he was chewing on a bone and I, quite unprofessionally, chased the dog away because it was so bloody annoying. That was when the interesting bit happened as Willi joined in the chase and stood beside me while the dog slinked away with its tail between its legs. Its interesting that hyenas don’t seem to have figured out that they weigh more than twice as much as the local mongrels and that they could easily tear one to pieces if only they were so inclined. Maybe a chase is not worth the energy expenditure. And maybe the risk of getting bitten back is too great.

Locals will tell you that if a dog’s owner is close by, the dog will be quite brave and even chase a hyena. But when dogs are on their own, they put their tails between their legs and hurry past. My observations bear this out and it seems they feel they have something to prove to us humans. Dogs, for their part, vary individually as well. Some are quite brash and will run at hyenas, while others will bark a lot but when a hyena approaches them, they retreat behind a gate. I’ve seen a hyena stick its nose inside a gate while two dogs barked like mad on the other side, but were afraid to come close. And there was one time when a dog decided to try its luck at the hyena feeding. Quite bravely, it ran around the hyenas trying to get scraps of meat that the hyena man was throwing. It only came for a few nights, after which I never saw it again."
http://hararhyenas.wordpress.com/

Posted Image

"Hunters belonging to marginal occupational groups, such as the Thori 5 of southern Punjab, the peripatetic Qalandar entertainers, and the Payloch of Kandahar and Quetta, catch striped hyenas to use them in animal fights. They let them fight against strong, specially trained dogs. During the fight, their owners restrain them with ropes so they are able to pull them back from the dogs if necessary (NAUMANN and NOGGE 1973, 83)."
"We generally take those which we catch home… and hunt them on the plain with bridles in
their mouths, that our dogs may be taught not to fear the brutes when
they meet them [in the] wild.” (CONOLLY 1838, 134)"
From here : http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/publications/afs/pdf/a1246.pdf

"Gillian started roaming after her owner sold her flock of sheep. She moved over to the neighbour’s sheep and she guarded them. She successfully defended them against a brown hyena attack, but the owner of the herd asked that she be removed and taken back to her farm. She then joined Simba in guarding his herd of goats. Gillian was last visited in April 2009 and no stock losses were reported by the new owner. Unfortunately Gillian was killed by a hyena during November 2009 while guarding the herd of goats. She will be replaced during January 2010."
"Simba is doing well on his new farm. He and Gillian successfully guarded their herd against a hyena attack, but during the fight Gillian was killed. He led the herd to safety and did not lose any of the herd members to the hyena. He was last visited in April 2009 and he had adjusted well to the new surroundings."
From here - http://www.cheetah.co.za/pdf/dog_report_dec2009.pdf

"...Thomas Jones, who lived at Chittrah, had a full grown hyena which ran loose about his house like a dog, and I have seen him play with it with as much familiarity. They feed on small animals and carrion, and I believe often come in for the prey left by tigers and leopards after their appetites have been satiated. They are great enemies of dogs, and kill numbers of them."
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=53Jfv93gzoUC&pg=PA786&dq=hyena+kill+dogs+india&hl=en&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=hyena%20kill%20dogs%20india&f=false

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lynx4caracal
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Gillian adapted well to her new environment when moved to a new farm, but after some time she started roaming and ended up accompanying the neighbour’s sheep. There she did her duty as guardian and killed a brown hyena that threatened the herd. Shortly after this incident she was killed by a hyena while guarding this herd of livestock

pars
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]

http://www.tramem.org/memeliler/?fsx=2fsdl47@d&idx=2988

A photo of a stripped hyeana, unfortunately killed by dogs, in Mardin southeastern Turkey. we do not know the number of dogs but, one of them is a pitbull - kangal crossbred. The hyeana seems to be a subadult...

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

How come the dog standing over the hyena doesnt have a drop of blood on it, yet the hyena is coverd in blood?

Canidae
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
FelinePowah
May 22 2012, 05:54 AM
How come the dog standing over the hyena doesnt have a drop of blood on it, yet the hyena is coverd in blood?

Poor thing was very likely baited. Whether the dog killed it after I'm unsure.

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That dog AND what army...? I hate those dog fanatics who celebrate dogs like they were gods with right of life and death over all other animals :angry:

pars
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
In the forum, the man who puts the photo says that the hyeana was killed by several dogs of the village in Mardin and the photo was taken by the villagers. That's all...

The indiviudal seems to be a sub adult. An adult stripped hyeana is bigger. The animal should have come to the village to find a food...

Any dog bred can not kill an adult alone...

In a news a few months ago, a shepherd from southwestern Turkey had said that his sheeps and his shepherd dog (most probably a kangal) was killed by a stripped hyeana...

Canidae
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
pars
May 22 2012, 06:17 AM
In the forum, the man who puts the photo says that the hyeana was killed by several dogs of the village in Mardin and the photo was taken by the villagers. That's all...

The indiviudal seems to be a sub adult. An adult stripped hyeana is bigger. The animal should have come to the village to find a food...

In a news a few months ago, a shepherd from southwestern Turkey had said that his sheeps and his shepherd dog (most probably a kangal) was killed by a stripped hyeana...
Do you have that news account?

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This photo does nothing for any argument.

kuri
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SEVERAL dogs killed a young hyena under very odd circumstances...says NOTHING!

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks to me like the pro-dog people on the forum are not using this as propaganda..... do not jump to conclusions about dog-supporters on the forum.

CHeck out the teeth on the hyena. Yikes!
Edited by Sicilianu, May 22 2012, 07:07 AM.

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Look at that things teeth!

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sicilianu
May 22 2012, 07:07 AM
Looks to me like the pro-dog people on the forum are not using this as propaganda..... do not jump to conclusions about dog-supporters on the forum.

If you are answering to my post, I was not talking about the canid supporters on Carnivora. I was talking about dog fans that celebrate their dogs killing other animals and publish such pics on the net.

Veli
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
kuri
May 22 2012, 06:44 AM
SEVERAL dogs killed a young hyena under very odd circumstances...says NOTHING!
doesnt look young to me at all, whats your reasoning behind this?

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

pars
May 22 2012, 06:17 AM

Why?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoological Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply