Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
American Bison 28 (59.6%)
Buffalo 19 (40.4%)
Total Votes: 47
American Bison vs. Cape Buffalo
Topic Started: Jan 7 2012, 02:02 AM (14,424 Views)
Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
American Bison - Bison bison
The American bison (Bison bison), also commonly known as the American buffalo, is a North American species of bison that once roamed the grasslands of North America in massive herds. Their range once roughly comprised a triangle between the Great Bear Lake in Canada's far northwest, south to the Mexican states of Durango and Nuevo León, and east along the western boundary of the Appalachian Mountains. bison has a shaggy, long, dark brown winter coat, and a lighter weight, lighter brown summer coat. As is typical in ungulates, the male bison are slightly larger than the female. Plains bison are often in the smaller range of sizes, and Wood bison in the larger range. Head-and-body length ranges from 2 to 3.5 m (6.6 to 11.5 ft) long, the tail adding 30 to 91 cm (12 to 36 in). Shoulder height in the species can range from 152 to 186 cm (60 to 73 in). Typical weigh can range from 318 to 1,000 kg (700 to 2,200 lb).

Posted Image

African (Cape) Buffalo - Syncerus caffer
The African buffalo, affalo, nyati, Mbogo or Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer) is a large African bovine. It is not closely related to the slightly larger wild Asian water buffalo, but its ancestry remains unclear. Owing to its unpredictable nature which makes it highly dangerous to humans, it has not been domesticated, unlike its Asian counterpart, the domestic Asian water buffalo. The Cape buffalo is a very robust species. Its shoulder height can range from 1 to 1.7 m (3.3 to 5.6 ft) and its head-and-body length can range from 1.7 to 3.4 m (5.6 to 11 ft). The tail can range from 70 to 110 cm (28 to 43 in) long. Savannah type buffaloes weigh 500 to 910 kg (1,100 to 2,000 lb), with males, normally larger than females, reaching the upper weight range. A record-sized savannah-type male weighed 1,000 kg (2,200 lb). Forest type buffaloes, at 250 to 455 kg (550 to 1,000 lb), are only half that size. Its head is carried low, its top located below the backline. The front hooves of the buffalo are wider than the rear, which is associated with the need to support the weight of the front part of the body, which is more powerful than the back.

Posted Image
Edited by Taipan, Jan 29 2012, 12:37 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
buffalo for its aggressivness

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah the Buffalo is more aggressive, but the Bison is a little more stalky. It not heavier, it just has more thick fur to get through.

Megafelis Fatalis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bison wins IMO
There isn't a big deference in the size but the bison seems more muscular.
And i don't think that aggression would make a big deference in a battle to the death.
Edited by Megafelis Fatalis, Jan 12 2012, 05:12 PM.

Taurus
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Personally, I favor cape buffalo over bison simply because of hooked horns.

SameerPrehistorica
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Prehistoric Cat
Jan 12 2012, 05:12 PM
Bison wins IMO
There isn't a big deference in the size but the bison seems more muscular.
And i don't think that aggression would make a big deference in a battle to the death.
I agree that.. Bison is more muscular... Hmm... I think its like 70 % win for Bison and 30 % for Cape Buffalo

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
The Bison most of the time, as it was bigger and more powerfully built. The Cape buffalo with its sharp horns and aggression would have a decent chance, however.

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm going with the Bison here.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is a toss up. At max weights, bison for sure, but at similar weights or at parity it is really close. The bison can produce more pushing power because of its relatively larger shoulder muscle. The cape buffalo is known for its aggression and curved horns. I also feel that the cape buffalo is more maneuverable.

Neofelis
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I think the bison could easily charge the buffalo and gore it seeing as how male bison fight like that. And do bison that weigh 3800 pounds gain weight from almost a ton of fat or is that muscle like the double muscle cattle but just not as extreme.

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
not sure but it sounds like bison has more advantages so bison 6/10

Taurus
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Neofelis
Jan 19 2012, 12:27 PM
I think the bison could easily charge the buffalo and gore it seeing as how male bison fight like that. And do bison that weigh 3800 pounds gain weight from almost a ton of fat or is that muscle like the double muscle cattle but just not as extreme.
Well the heaviest bison bull was semi-domestic bison, means he is most likely corn-fed which often produced fats and possible has some cattle genetics inside him.

Nearly all heaviest cape buffalo bulls taken by hunters are not weighted, means we have no idea what is the heaviest cape buffalo.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Taurus, do you know the relative fighting abilities of bulls based on horn shape? I am hoping by your screen name that you are one of the old carnivora bovine experts.

Taurus
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
The real issue with some of you posters take the bison's max weight as a winning factor which is a poor arguement as the fact is that most largest cape buffalo bulls are rarely weighted and we have no records of heaviest cape buffalo. Even the hunters rarely weighted their trophy buffalo bulls.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I am just curious whether among domestic breeds, if bull horn position and shape play a factor in victory if weight and height are equal.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: