Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
African Lion 37 (26.4%)
Grizzly Bear 103 (73.6%)
Total Votes: 140
African Lion v Grizzly Bear
Topic Started: Jan 15 2012, 09:09 PM (40,616 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

African Lion - Panthera leo
The lion (Panthera leo) is one of the four big cats in the genus Panthera, and a member of the family Felidae. With some males exceeding 250 kg (550 lb) in weight, it is the second-largest living cat after the tiger. Wild lions currently exist in Sub-Saharan Africa and in Asia with an endangered remnant population in Gir Forest National Park in India, having disappeared from North Africa and Southwest Asia in historic times. Until the late Pleistocene, about 10,000 years ago, the lion was the most widespread large land mammal after humans. They were found in most of Africa, across Eurasia from western Europe to India, and in the Americas from the Yukon to Peru. The lion is a vulnerable species, having seen a possibly irreversible population decline of thirty to fifty percent over the past two decades in its African range. The African lion is a very large cat, with males weighing between 330 and 550 pounds and females weighing between 260 and 400 pounds. It is 8 to 10 feet long, not including the tail. Its most famous feature is its mane, which only male lions have. The mane is a yellow color when the lion is young and darkens with age. Eventually, the mane will be dark brown. The body of the African lion is well suited for hunting. It is very muscular, with back legs designed for pouncing and front legs made for grabbing and knocking down prey. It also has very strong jaws that enable it to eat the large prey that it hunts.

Posted Image

Grizzly Bear - Ursus arctos horribilis
The grizzly bear is a large predator that is different from black bears due to a distinctive hump on its shoulders. Grizzly bears have concave faces and long claws about the length of a human finger. Their coloration is usually darkish brown but can vary from very light cream to black. The long guard hairs on their backs and shoulders often have white tips and give the bears a "grizzled" appearance, hence the name "grizzly." The correct scientific name for the species is “brown bear”, but only coastal bears in Alaska and Canada are referred to as such, while inland bears and those found in the lower 48 states are called grizzly bears.
Height 3- 3 ½ feet at shoulders
Length 6-7 feet
Weight Adult males 300 - 850 lbs; females 200 - 450 lbs
Top speed 35 mph

Posted Image

Prehistoric Cat

Grizzly Bear VS African Lion

Edited by Taipan, Feb 23 2014, 08:14 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SameerPrehistorica
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Grizzly bear would win mostly because size does matters...My favorite is the Kodiak bear :)

Megafelis Fatalis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanx Taipan!
Grizzly Bear wins IMO
It has terrible claws, large paws, muscular body, weight advantage and thick fur to protect it.

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I'd back a large male lion (500+ pounds) against a 850 pound bear. If it was a kodiak, that would be a different story.

Nocturnal
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
at weight parity it could go either way, at max weight the bear wins. so i voted the bear.

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would back the lion if the bear isn't to much larger. If the lion is 2/3 the size of the bear, 60/40 for the lion.

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bear since it has giant claws and is much bigger

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I assume we are not talking about the mighty Kodiak or Alaskan brown bear, but about the smaller bruins found in Canada and the continental US. At max weight the grizzly would still be too big. At average weigth however the difference wouldn't be great, and in that case IMO the lion's superior speed and agility, higher bite force, longer canines, hooked retractable claws and protective mane should give it the edge.

wanderer
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
populator135
Jan 16 2012, 03:02 AM
I'd back a large male lion (500+ pounds) against a 850 pound bear. If it was a kodiak, that would be a different story.
No way. Thats too much of a difference.

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
wanderer
Jan 16 2012, 09:57 AM
populator135
Jan 16 2012, 03:02 AM
No way. Thats too much of a difference.
Well, I guess it depends at what time of the year. Just before denning, the 850 lbs grizzly would be largely fat, up to 40% of its weight5. In that case, a large lion should take it. If it's summer weight, when the grizzly is most fit with a low fat percentage, the cat would be in deep s...

wanderer
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
I doubt the lion would even attempt taking an animal that size on. If the bear charged it(which it would) the lion would back down.

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Male lions can be extremely aggressive and sometimes big bears back down too, as shown by the video of the mother cougar chasing away a much bigger grizzly.

wanderer
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
If the bear was up for it though it wouldnt hesitate. There are always examples of any animals backing down from a less intimidating species on occasion. Do you really think if hypothetically a 500 pound male lion met an 850 pound male grizzly 10 times over a kill, the bear would back down more than the lion. Id bet half of my fingers that it wouldnt.

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd bet my brain the lion would back down more. (not literally)

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
wanderer
Jan 16 2012, 11:00 AM
If the bear was up for it though it wouldnt hesitate. There are always examples of any animals backing down from a less intimidating species on occasion. Do you really think if hypothetically a 500 pound male lion met an 850 pound male grizzly 10 times over a kill, the bear would back down more than the lion. Id bet half of my fingers that it wouldnt.
Honestly I don't know. Being more compact, an 850 lbs grizzly probably wouldn't look much bigger than a 500 lbs lion, so the cat could decide to go for it the majority of times. Which doesn't mean it would be a good idea though... B-)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: