Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Clouded Leopard 56 (66.7%)
American Pit Bull Terrier 28 (33.3%)
Total Votes: 84
Clouded Leopard v American Pit Bull Terrier
Topic Started: Jan 19 2012, 09:09 PM (31,779 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Clouded Leopard - Neofelis nebulosa
The clouded leopard (Neofelis nebulosa) is a felid found from the Himalayan foothills through mainland Southeast Asia into China, and has been classified as vulnerable in 2008 by IUCN. Clouded leopards have a tan or tawny coat, and are distinctively marked with large, irregularly-shaped, dark-edged ellipses which are said to be shaped like clouds. This unique appearance gave the cat both its common and scientific species name—nebulosus is Latin for "cloudy". The clouded leopard was confusing to scientists for a long time because of its appearance and skeleton. It seemed to be a cross between a big cat and a small cat. The average clouded leopard typically weighs between 15 and 23 kilograms (33 and 51 lb), and has a shoulder height of 25 to 40 centimetres (9.8 to 16 in). Females have a head-body length varying from 68 to 94 centimetres (27 to 37 in), with a 61 to 82 centimetres (24 to 32 in) tail, while the males are larger at 81 to 108 centimetres (32 to 43 in) with a 74 to 91 centimetres (29 to 36 in) tail. Clouded leopards have a heavy build and, proportionately, the longest canine teeth of any living felid—of 2 inches (5.1 cm), about the same as a tiger's. These characteristics led early researchers to speculate that they preyed on large land-dwelling mammals. Because of the animal's reclusive nature, the behavior of the clouded leopard in the wild is little known. With no evidence for a pack or pride society like that of the lion, it is assumed that it is a generally solitary creature, and it appears to be primarily nocturnal. Clouded leopards are largely arboreal, hunting prey in the trees, and also using trees to rest during the day. However, they spend a significant proportion of their time on the ground, and sometimes inhabit environments without tall trees.

Posted Image

American Pit Bull Terrier
The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a medium-sized, solidly built, short haired dog whose early ancestors came from England and Ireland. It is a member of the molosser breed group. The American Pit Bull diverges in appearance from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, having fewer bulldog traits in the face and body. The American Pit Bull is medium sized, having a short coat and smooth well-defined muscle structure, but should never appear bulky or muscle-bound. Its eyes are round to almond shaped, and its ears are small to medium in length and can be natural or cropped. The tail is slightly thick and tapers to a point. The coat is glossy, smooth, short, and slightly stiff and can be any color except merle. The breed ranges from a height of about 17 to 22 in (43 to 56 cm) at shoulders, and weighs between 30 and 78 lb (14 and 35 kg) with the most common being between 35 - 55 pounds (16-25 kg.), in fact the original APBT's were between 20 - 40 pounds (9-18 kg.) and were bred small for their main purpose, fighting.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Megafelis Fatalis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clouded Leopard wins IMO
you know claws and grappling ability, teeth.......................

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
55/45 for Pitbull. You can prance on about how overrated Pitties are, but they are undoubtedly one of the toughest animals alive. It will not give up, no matter how bad the wounds are. I'm assuming this is at parity, in which case I VERY slightly favour the Pittie. The terrier bite would do some damn nasty damage as well.

Does anyone have some pictures of a Clouded Leopard with it's claws out? I am interested to see the relative size of their claws and how effective they would be in a fight like this.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
One of the more contentious thread topics from old carnivora. I am hoping Gun sneaks back in, as I miss his pro-dog insight.

I am not sure about this. The pitbull could just barrel into the fight with its little concern for its safety, grab the leopard, shake it and game over. If the leopard manages to avoid this, it certainly can kill the pitbull. I am just not sure if it can avoid being bit and grabbed.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clouded Leopard wins easily. More Faster, agile, and can grapple.

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
The Leopard won't have a hard time killing the dog.

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
And here we go...

Why won't the Leopard have a hard time killing the dog? This is a Pitbull, it will keep going no matter what. The Clouded Leopard, as impressive as it, does not have the massive bulging jaws or durability and refusal to back down that the Pittie has.

And 'grappling', won't mean much here. In other Canid vs Felid matchups it can be the decider, but here it will mean very little besides some extra damage. It does not know Karate or Judo, and it cannot use it's paws like primate hands. All I have ever seen a cat use it's paws for is holding much smaller prey down, slapping at enemies, and raking. The raking would cause massive damage, but usually animals release their grip or back off when they are raked or slapped, allowing the cat to finish the job or escape, that won't happen here.
Edited by Rodentsofunusualsize, Jan 20 2012, 01:43 AM.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If you are unsure of how useful a cats curved claws can be in a fight, I suggest you watch some videos of cats above 15lbs.

I for one have seen CLs up close. They are quite short, a trait of arboreal lineage. I was also struck by how how they were. Not the passing of other big cats. They just watched and analyzed.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
An animal can keep going and attacking for as long as it's alive... In this case, that won't be for long.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It would be pretty much over for CL when the pitbull grabs its neck and works its hold by brutally thrashing it about. It wouldn't have the opportunity to "grapple" and position itself for a well placed bite. Even if, say "pound for pound" the CL is stronger, it's not going to be able to shake the pitbull from its hold no matter what it did.

Ambush-CL
Head to head-Pitbull
Edited by Vita, Jan 20 2012, 05:57 AM.

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Being pantherine, Clouded Leopard is more powerfully built then similar size felinine cats, such as Euro Lynxs.

Don't sell the CLs bite short. Doesnt it have one of the more powerful bites (proortional) of felines?

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The clouded leopard is specialized in regards to its killing method. With such long canines, it has adapted short, stocky limbs to control its prey once it pounced upon it. Assuming this fight will not have those undertones, it would not be able to dispatch an animal like a pitbull as smoothly. The pitbull will not readjust its grip until it senses the right moment to. Otherwise it will continue to work the neck hold, thrashing about with the cat. The cl will not be able to devlier its bite if it is being controlled by its neck.

Bandog
Member Avatar
Everything else is just a dog.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The pitbull would win everytime. The clouded leopard is too skittish to be able to mount a coordinated defense against such an eager (and proven) fighter. The pitbull would get a hold and would find the CL going down easier than the loose skinned, thick necked dogs it usually fights.

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
What animas has the pitbull been proven against ?

Neofelis
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I should say 50/50 but I can't decide since these two are my favorite animals. I won't vote since while the Clouded Leopard can try to subdue the Pitbull, The Pitbull can overwhelm it with its huge jaws and it also depends on the kind of Pitbull head shape.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: