Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
African Wild Dog 20 (42.6%)
Chacma Baboon 27 (57.4%)
Total Votes: 47
African Wild Dog v Chacma Baboon
Topic Started: Jan 19 2012, 09:55 PM (3,467 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

African Wild Dog - Lycaon pictus
Lycaon pictus is a large canid found only in Africa, especially in savannas and lightly wooded areas. It is variously called the African wild dog, African hunting dog, Cape hunting dog, painted dog, painted wolf, painted hunting dog, spotted dog, or ornate wolf. he scientific name "Lycaon pictus" is derived from the Greek for "wolf" and the Latin for "painted". It is the only canid species to lack dewclaws on the forelimbs. This is the largest African canid and, behind only the gray wolf, is the world's second largest extant wild canid. Adults typically weigh 18–36 kilograms (40–79 lb). A tall, lean animal, it stands about 75 cm (30 in) at the shoulder, with a head and body length of 75–141 cm (30–56 in) plus a tail of 30 to 45 cm (12 to 18 in). Animals in southern Africa are generally larger than those in eastern or western Africa. There is little sexual dimorphism, though judging by skeletal dimensions, males are usually 3-7% larger. The African wild dog's main prey varies among populations but always centers around medium-to-large sized ungulates, such as the impala, Thomson's Gazelle, Springbok, kudu, reedbuck, and wildebeest calves. The most frequent single prey species depends upon season and local availability. For example, in the Serengeti in the 1970s wildebeest (mostly calves) were the most frequently taken species (57%) from January to June, but Thompsons gazelle were the most frequently taken (79%) during the rest of the year.

Posted Image

Chacma Baboon - Papio ursinus
he Chacma baboon (Papio ursinus), also known as the Cape baboon, is, like all other baboons, from the Old World monkey family. With a body length of up to 115 cm and a weight from 15 to 31 kg, it is among the largest and heaviest baboon species. The Chacma is generally dark brown to gray in color, with a patch of rough hair on the nape of its neck. Unlike the northern baboon species (the Guinea, Hamadryas, and Olive baboons), Chacma males do not have a mane. Perhaps the most distinctive feature of this baboon is its long, downward sloping face.] Males can have canine teeth as long as 2 inches (longer than a lion's canine teeth). Baboons are sexually dimorphic, males being considerably larger than females. The Chacma baboon is found in southern Africa, ranging from South Africa north to Angola, Zambia, and Mozambique. Size and color vary within that range. Chacmas usually live in social groups composed of multiple adult males, adult females, and their offspring. Occasionally, however, very small groups form that include only a single adult male and several adult females.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Unless the dog has a significant size advantage, I think the baboon wins.

Seems more built, has grappling ability, and those canines could certainly do damage.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Baboon wins 100%

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
100%? That seems slightly ridiculous...

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Baboon wins. It's bite is not as effective, but it has Primate hands and is far more agile.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Its hands aren't want makes baboons formidable. They can be easily crushed. Come on, the grappling argument cannot be placed here. Consider other factors.

Canidae
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Vita
Jan 22 2012, 05:49 AM
Its hands aren't want makes baboons formidable. They can be easily crushed. Come on, the grappling argument cannot be placed here. Consider other factors.
Couldn't a felid's paws too.

I think at parity (two 80lb animals) or if a larger Baboon, then I admit primate victory. Though I think the dog needs a much smaller size advantage then people think.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Canidae
Jan 22 2012, 05:53 AM
Vita

I think at parity (two 80lb animals) or if a larger Baboon, then I admit primate victory. Though I think the dog needs a much smaller size advantage then people think.
Of similar size, probably. AWD do have the jaw power. Large mastiff-type breeds have struggled with baboons, but I'm sure its their large canines, not their forelimbs.

Canidae
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Vita
Jan 22 2012, 04:57 PM
Canidae
Vita

Of similar size, probably. AWD do have the jaw power. Large mastiff-type breeds have struggled with baboons, but I'm sure its their large canines, not their forelimbs.
They have? I've heard of Anatolian Shepards doing well against Baboons.

mohamad
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
babboon is more powerful in a same weight

Neen
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
The AWD is a lightweight pack hunter , built for the long chase, who must thoroughly wear down and exhaust it's prey. After this it still does not actually kill , but simply begins to consume. Not built for fighting at all and stands no chance against a vicious male Chacma.

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
Well that's a load of bollocks. African Wild Dogs frequently fight in the pack, have incredible stamina, and large and deadly jaws. This being said, I do think the Chacma slightly wins because of it's hands.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Canidae
Jan 22 2012, 06:10 PM
Vita
Jan 22 2012, 04:57 PM
Canidae
Vita

They have? I've heard of Anatolian Shepards doing well against Baboons.
LGD are more damage resistant than short, stiff coated mastiffs. I'm sure they can get the best of a baboon but it takes a serious dog to kill one. Have you heard of Flint, the Anatolian shepherd? He killed two baboons but was gravely injured.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
At parity 55/45 in favor of baboon.
Edited by Gregoire, Feb 7 2012, 06:50 PM.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Wild Dog

Mandrill vs African wild dog

Based on this thread, that would be a mismatch.

Wild
Member Avatar
Tell 'em that you know me when you runnin' through Atlanta
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Taipan
Jun 19 2012, 05:23 PM
Wild Dog

Mandrill vs African wild dog

Based on this thread, that would be a mismatch.
Oh I saw it on the Animal enthusiast forum and thought it'd be a good one.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: