Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
Bighorn Sheep 7 (29.2%)
Wild Boar 17 (70.8%)
Total Votes: 24
Bighorn Sheep v Wild Boar
Topic Started: Jan 21 2012, 03:21 PM (1,914 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Bighorn Sheep - Ovis canadensis
The bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis) is a species of sheep in North America named for its large horns. These horns can weigh up to 30 pounds (14 kg), while the sheep themselves weigh up to 300 pounds (140 kg). Ovis canadensis is one of three species of mountain sheep in North America and Siberia; the other two species being Ovis dalli, which includes Dall Sheep and Stone's Sheep, and the Siberian snow sheep Ovis nivicola. Wild sheep crossed the Bering land bridge from Siberia during the Pleistocene (~750,000 years ago) and subsequently spread through western North America as far south as Baja California and northwestern mainland Mexico. Bighorn sheep are named for the large, curved horns borne by the rams (males). Ewes (females) also have horns, but they are shorter with less curvature. They range in color from light brown to grayish or dark, chocolate brown, with a white rump and lining on the back of all four legs. Males typically weigh 127–316 pounds (58–143 kg), are 36–41 inches (91–100 cm) tall at the shoulder, and 69–79 inches (180–200 cm) long from the nose to the tail. Females are typically 75–188 pounds (34–85 kg), 30–36 inches (76–91 cm) tall and 54–67 inches (140–170 cm) long. Male bighorn sheep have large horn cores, enlarged cornual and frontal sinuses and internal bony septa. These adaptations serve to protect the brain by absorbing the impact of clashes.

Posted Image

Wild Boar - Sus scrofa
Wild boar, also known as wild pig, (Sus scrofa) is a species of the pig genus Sus, part of the biological family Suidae. The species includes many subspecies. It is the wild ancestor of the domestic pig, an animal with which it freely hybridises. Wild boar are native across much of Northern and Central Europe, the Mediterranean Region (including North Africa's Atlas Mountains) and much of Asia as far south as Indonesia. dult boars measure 90–200 cm (35–79 in) in length, not counting a tail of 15–40 cm (5.9–16 in), and have a shoulder height of 55–110 cm (22–43 in). As a whole, their average weight is 50–90 kg (110–200 pounds), though boars show a great deal of weight variation within their geographical ranges.[9] In central Italy, their weight usually ranges from 80 to 100 kg (180 to 220 lb) while boars shot in Tuscany have been recorded to weigh up to 150 kg (331 lb). An unusually large French specimen shot in Negremont forest in Ardenne in 1999 weighed 227 kg (550 lb). Carpathian boars have been recorded to reach weights of 200 kg (441 lb). Romanian and Russian boars can reach weights of 300 kg (661 lb), while unconfirmed giants reported in early Russian hunting journals have reportedly weighed up to 320 kg (710 lb).

Posted Image

GreenDragon

Wild Boar vs Bighorn Sheep
Edited by Taipan, Jun 8 2012, 09:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ShadowPredator
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Boar may be aggressive, but the bighorn can win by a very smallmargin

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
boar takes this a big male as a challenge for any predator never mind a docile sheep

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Finally, some good ole' ungulate matchups!

I would favor the boar due to its more powerful build and its aggressive nature.

But I think the sheep has some decent chances as well. Although it doesn't use the skull bash technique against other animals, it could still butt the pig with those big horns, or five it a powerful kick.

I say pig 7/10 times.

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Btw, wasn't there a case of a bighorn killing a cougar by ramming it off a cliff? For some reason I recall reading an account (maybe on the old forum).

If anyone has any info, can you post it here?

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm going with the Boar here but only about 5.5/10. I think it would be really close.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Large Boars can kill just about anything in a face on fight- Lion, grizzly, gator you name it.

http://www.highadventureranch.com/russian_boar.html A russian boar can break the scales at 550 LBs, have 5 inch tusks, armor plated shoulders, and near impenetrable hides. The presence of large predators and deep snows in the Far East breeds especially strong and fierce warriors. A big boar will not hesitate to defend himself against a brown bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbVg2qUPmlo There's little the sheep can do against this prize porker.

Quote Post Goto Top

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Nothing00
Feb 23 2012, 02:03 PM
Large Boars can kill just about anything in a face on fight- Lion, grizzly, gator you name it.

http://www.highadventureranch.com/russian_boar.html A russian boar can break the scales at 550 LBs, have 5 inch tusks, armor plated shoulders, and near impenetrable hides. The presence of large predators and deep snows in the Far East breeds especially strong and fierce warriors. A big boar will not hesitate to defend himself against a brown bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbVg2qUPmlo There's little the sheep can do against this prize porker.

Nothing00

To be fair, I think we should use a smaller subspecies of pig that is equal in weight to the sheep. I would certainly favor it as well, however.

A large Romanian wild boar would easily win this fight, and one of those 500 lbs. behemoths are some of the toughest animals around (I might be alittle biased cause suids are my fave. mammals) :)

dillidar6
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Good ram from a big horn could break a boars's nose bighorns might not be that aggressive but this is a hypothetical fight

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
GreenDragon
Jan 22 2012, 08:36 AM
Btw, wasn't there a case of a bighorn killing a cougar by ramming it off a cliff? For some reason I recall reading an account (maybe on the old forum).

I just searched google, nothing about a bighorn ramming a cougar off a cliff.
As for the fight I think the boar will win because it is much more aggressive and it looks more robust. But the ram will put up a good fight. here's a video showing rams head-butting each other and kicking too.

zombie
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
rams cant charge other animals the way they do in rival fights. it will be to hard to beat the boar.

Elephantus
Member Avatar
Tusker
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I will go against the grain and say the sheep wins.

Even though they cant charge, their skulls are still adapted to handle blut trauma well.

Elephantus
Member Avatar
Tusker
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
GreenDragon
Jan 22 2012, 08:36 AM

I have heard of a mountain goat killing a hiker by knocking him off a cliff, but no such case of a cougar.

zombie
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]

I doubt the sheep can handle these boars.

werewolf2012
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Mismatch in favor of pig.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply