Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Georgian Mountain Dog (Native type caucasian LGD)
Topic Started: Jan 27 2012, 08:26 AM (12,173 Views)
sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Georgian Mountain Dog

Posted Image

Considered to be the real Caucasian LGD, the shorter coated Georgian Mounatian Dog is an ancient working breed from Georgia. This breed served as the foundation block for the establishment of the Russian Kavkaskaya Ovtcharka after the 2nd World War, but has remained both unchanged in its home region and unknown outside Georgia. The Georgian Mountain Dog is related to the dogs of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Turkey, as well as to other types native to the Caucasian region and is believed to be a completely natural breed and an ancestor of many other LGD. There are local varieties of the breed in Georgia, but the greatest value is placed on dogs from the Kazbegi and Tusheti region. The Georgian Caucasian LGD is now fully standardized and rightfully recognized as a separate breed in its native land.
Me Andreas, personally have some doubts that recognizing it and making it fully standardized brings any advantage to these LGDs. It makes them also interesting for show people and the least thing show people are usually interested in, is the correct temperament!

sunnyAK (Andreas)

Georgian Mountain Dog (aka Tushetian Nagazi)

ORIGIN: Georgia

PATRONAGE: Federation Cynologique de Georgie

DATE OF ACCEPT OF THE STANDARD: 01/01/2000

DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THE ORIGINAL VALID STANDARD: 01/06/2000

UTILIZATION: Sheep-guard and defense dog

CLASSIFICATION: Mollossian type

GENERAL APPEARANCE: Georgian Mountain Dogs are dogs of large size and robust constitution. They are aggressive and distrustful towards strangers. They are always self-confident. The breed originally comes from the northern-east mountain parts of Georgia. The dogs are used as sheep and guard dogs. Georgian mountain dogs are very friendly with owner and its family; they are very calm with children and other domestic animals. A cording to their history they are close to mollossian type of dogs. Generally at work they are used in couples and more. They are not afraid to cold climate. Nowadays Georgian mountain dogs are used in many parts of Georgia.

IMPORTANT PROPORTIONS:
The proportions of the length of the body vs. height at the withers is 100-108. For females the proportion 100-110 is admissible.

BEHAVIOR:
Type of a great alert activity, strong-balanced-calm.The reaction of defense in an active form are well developed. Aggressive disposition and distrust towards strangers are characteristic.

HEAD:
SKULL: Massive, well developed, broad and stright, can be of a little oval form. Broad forehead, flat, divided in two halves by a slight furrow.
STOP: The stop is not clearly marked.

NOSE:
The nose is strong, broad black with well-developed nostrils. In the white and light coloured dogs, a brown nose is admissible.

MUZZLE: The muzzle is shorter than the length of the skull, quite broad and deep.

LIPS: Strong lips, but lean and fitting tightly

TEETH: White, strong, well developed, close together, not showing gaps.42 teeth are desirable. Missed 2-nd or 3-rd premolars are admissible.

BITE: Scissor bite. Admissible but not desirable levels bite and/or undershot.

EYES: Dark, middle, oval shaped, deep set. Light eyes are admissible only for white and light coloured dogs.

EARS: Hanging, set high. Cropped short ears are admissible.

NECK: Powerful, short. Carried quite low so as to from an angel of 30&- 40& in relation to the line of the back.

WITHERS: Broad, muscular, well detached above the topline.

BACK: Broad,stright,muscled.

LOINS: Short, broad and powerful.

CROUP/RUMP: Oval shaped, set almost horizontal.

CHEST: Broad, deep slightly rounded in shape. Lower line of chest is at elbow level or lower.

ABDOMEN: Moderately tucked up.

TAIL: Hanging down reaching the hock. Tail can be in any position while moving. Docked tails are admitted. A docked tails should be of a half of its length from the beginning to the hock.

TYPE OF CONSTITUTION: Robust, with a massive bone structure and strong musculature. Skin is thick but elastic.

FOREQUARTERS: Seen from the front: straight and parallel. Length of the legs up to the elbows a little superior to the half of the height at withers. Angel of the scapular-humeral articulation is about 100&

FOREARM: Straight and strong.

PASTERN: Short, strong on the vertical.

HINDQUARTERS: Seen from the back: straight and parallel; in profile: slightly open in hock articulation.

METATARSAL: Strong, placed vertical.

FEET: Big, oval shaped, compect and tight.

SEXUAL TYPE: Well accentuated. The males are stronger and more massive. The females are a bit smaller size; nevertheless they are of a robust constitution.

MOVEMENT: Free, swinging stride, balanced. The legs must move in straight line. The withers and the rump should remain at the same level during the trot. The characteristic gate is a short trot, witch in case of acceleration turns into a slightly heavy gallop.

COAT: Short with a strongly developed undercoat. Shiny, coarse and lying well flat against body. On the neck and withers hair can be a bit longer than on the other parts of the body

COLOUR: Any colour is admissible.

SIZE: Height at the withers: For the males not less than 65 cm; for the females not less than 60 cm.

here two pictures of native dogs of caucasus:
Posted Image
Posted Image

and here some vintage pic:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sunnyAK
Edited by Taipan, Oct 24 2012, 08:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
maybe i still have a copy of some posts that were made in this profile on the old board, if so i will post it. :)

sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
sunnyAK
Jan 27 2012, 04:17 PM
maybe i still have a copy of some posts that were made in this profile on the old board, if so i will post it. :)
i just found them again :) :

[quote author=imperialdino board=zoological thread=13454 post=192255 time=1325041401]

Aksaray Malakli is basically a heavier poor stamina having kangal who's mouth hangs too much therefore will be bitten.

Tosa Inu's mouth also hangs too much and would get bitten as well

"BULLDOZER" looks fat and out of shape. Can BULLDOZER stand on his back 2 legs?[/quote]

i don´t like bulldozer, but somebody here asked if anybody could post a picture of bulldozer, so i did it.
if you want to see a dog with a great build, combining athleticism and raw power, take a look at this dog. the typical CO could only dream of a build like this dog has, combining both athleticism, proper angulation and raw power. (i mention proper angulation because it is important for the agile movement of a dog.)
by the way, not that anybody has the crazy idea it was a BK, this is no Bully kutta, it is quite different than a BK.
the real Caucasian LGD is the Georgian Mountain Dog aka Tushetian Nagazi!
a few lines above i mentioned that i will show you a dog with a build a CO (caucasian ovcharka) could only dream of. here we go:
Posted Image

[quote author=imperialdino board=zoological thread=13454 post=192255 time=1325041401]Aksaray Malakli is basically a heavier poor stamina having kangal who's mouth hangs too much therefore will be bitten.
Tosa Inu's mouth also hangs too much and would get bitten as well.[/quote]

concerning the Aksaray Malakli, this one here has beaten all kinds of Kangals.
it is no "mouth haning poor stamina dog".
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/sunnyAK1/Malak-like-a-statue.jpg
(however i am everything but a fan of these matches)

concerning the modern CO (Caucasian Ovcharka) i absolutely see no wolfkiller in its phenotype. it is a modern breed, bred for looks by some people and by others as "security/guard dog" but it is no true volkodav!
this is the typical CO.
Posted Image
not my type and quite unlikely that the CO together with the kangal, should be the dog suited for killing all the wild animals you were talking about. (a Kangal would be definitely better suited, however i still favour a large nordic wolf one on one.)

sunnyAK
Edited by sunnyAK, Feb 25 2012, 08:32 PM.

black gold
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
sunnyAK
Feb 25 2012, 08:27 PM
sunnyAK
a few lines above i mentioned that i will show you a dog with a build a CO (caucasian ovcharka) could only dream of. here we go:
Posted Image

The problem Georgian Mountain Dogs have compared to real fighting dogs, is that they lack the build to have enough stamina.
This dog was famous, he was called tetri Khoda, but also he lacked stamina when he had to fight bigger dogs, or oppenents with more weight.

Posted Image

will888
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
BEAUTIFUL!!!

I like this dog!!! It's so beautiful and at the same time is used for the most dangerous work a dog can do!
He have to defend live stock from the other predator... wolf, bear, ecc...

He has a good shape line with long powerful legs ready to start to go to the opponent...
Great head with great mouth power

These are the dog that could be selected.. no the today big dolls.... realmad

Long life to the real breeder who breeds real dogs! ;)

sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
will888
Mar 16 2012, 07:48 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!

I like this dog!!! It's so beautiful and at the same time is used for the most dangerous work a dog can do!
He have to defend live stock from the other predator... wolf, bear, ecc...

He has a good shape line with long powerful legs ready to start to go to the opponent...
Great head with great mouth power

These are the dog that could be selected.. no the today big dolls.... realmad

Long life to the real breeder who breeds real dogs! ;)

great to see that you like my profile. i will add some more pictures of Georgian Mountain Dogs the next days.
i share your opinion and unlike the so called "Caucasian Ovcharka" which is a modern russian breed, the "Georgian Mountain Dog" is the real LGD of the caucasian mountain area.

sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
black gold
Mar 3 2012, 03:52 AM
sunnyAK
Feb 25 2012, 08:27 PM
sunnyAK
Posted Image

The problem Georgian Mountain Dogs have compared to real fighting dogs, is that they lack the build to have enough stamina.
This dog was famous, he was called tetri Khoda, but also he lacked stamina when he had to fight bigger dogs, or oppenents with more weight.

Posted Image
well, some do indeed lack the build, but there are others like this dog from caucasus. a quite rustic dog with a good reach in body.
Posted Image

Bandog
Member Avatar
Everything else is just a dog.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They almost look like very powerful Akitas with bigger heads. Do you have any videos of them, I would love to compare their mobility with more westernized dogs those sizes.

BVLGARI
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Mar 17 2012, 06:31 PM
They almost look like very powerful Akitas with bigger heads.
But they are a very different kind of animal. I guess Akitas wouldn't work well with livestock.

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
BVLGARI
Mar 25 2012, 02:48 PM
Amphicyon
But they are a very different kind of animal. I guess Akitas wouldn't work well with livestock.
Not even close. I would love to see some of these dogs in action. A truly fantastic looking animal.

sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Mar 25 2012, 04:33 PM
BVLGARI
Mar 25 2012, 02:48 PM
Amphicyon
Not even close. I would love to see some of these dogs in action. A truly fantastic looking animal.
in the past i have seen them in many video, but people do not film them doing their real job "guarding live stock".... if you know what i mean.
i can post one action shot of a dog called goroch. now if we consider it strictly goroch isn´t a "Georgian Mountain Dog" as goroch isn´t from georgia, but daghestan, but it still is a "native type dog" of caucasus and with that said the same kind of animal. the dogs from daghestan are bigger and better combat fighters on average.
this is a snap shot taken out of a video:
Posted Image

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah he's a nice looking dog. From what I have heard, these are some of the better dog fighting lgd's. I have seen one vid of these dogs and they are quite competent to say the least.
Absolutely gorgeous though.

sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Mar 26 2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah he's a nice looking dog. From what I have heard, these are some of the better dog fighting lgd's. I have seen one vid of these dogs and they are quite competent to say the least.
yes, you are right they are better fighters, although i don´t support breeding dogs for combat. a threat has to be real, to see a real fight and it is nice to see no fight at all. i like dogs only to fight in order to protect.
you might know the caucasian legend kaplan.
he has beaten the CAO legend called murat and the "georgian mountain dog" legend white khoda.
i have mentioned in a few posts before in this thread that the dogs know as CO (Caucasian Ovcharka) are neither real LGDs, as the native dogs look quite differently, nor are they the dogs with a proper build for fighting and mentioned that this dog here has a much better build.
Posted Image
by the way this is kaplan the champion i have mentioned and he also had a pretty good build. nothing overdone....
Posted Image

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sunnyAK
Mar 27 2012, 11:49 AM
Amphicyon
yes, you are right they are better fighters, although i don´t support breeding dogs for combat. a threat has to be real, to see a real fight and it is nice to see no fight at all. i like dogs only to fight in order to protect.
you might know the caucasian legend kaplan.
he has beaten the CAO legend called murat and the "georgian mountain dog" legend white khoda.
i have mentioned in a few posts before in this thread that the dogs know as CO (Caucasian Ovcharka) are neither real LGDs, as the native dogs look quite differently, nor are they the dogs with a proper build for fighting and mentioned that this dog here has a much better build.
Posted Image
by the way this is kaplan the champion i have mentioned and he also had a pretty good build. nothing overdone....
Posted Image
It's the same with all dogs too, the overdone ones just cannot fight well.

sunnyAK
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Amphicyon

It's the same with all dogs too, the overdone ones just cannot fight well.

exactly! the FCI, UKC CO is just not the true type LGD, it is a different dog, vut people don´t get it.

from another thread, but again fits to this one perfectly as well!
here the thread:
http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/9492830/1/

k9boy
Apr 9 2012, 07:28 AM
I think a caucasian shepherd would kill a wolf, any other breed would lose.

my answere:
k9boy do you mean a real caucasian LGD?
it can be seen here:
http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/9364420/1/#
or do you mean the breed created as "wolf killing myth" in the minds of people, because in reality it never was inteted to kill wolves, but to guard prisoners or the wall of berlin etc.?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
again there you find a member thinking a FCI/UKC type CO was a dog used for killing wolves. people who breed working LGDs breed a different type of dogs. maybe they even don´t know the russian breed Caucasian Ovcharka. i even doubt they have internet. ;)
Edited by sunnyAK, Apr 9 2012, 09:07 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dog Breed Profiles · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Life of a created by Vulture Of Outline