Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Cougar 50 (60.2%)
Dire Wolf 33 (39.8%)
Total Votes: 83
Cougar v Dire Wolf
Topic Started: Jan 29 2012, 09:16 PM (20,995 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Cougar - Puma concolor
The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the family Felidae, native to the Americas. This large, solitary cat has the greatest range of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere, extending from Yukon in Canada to the southern Andes of South America. An adaptable, generalist species, the cougar is found in every major American habitat type. It is the second heaviest cat in the American continents after the jaguar. Although large, the cougar is most closely related to smaller felines. Cougars are slender and agile cats. They are the fourth largest cats and adults stand about 60 to 76 centimeters (2.0 to 2.5 ft) tall at the shoulders. The length of adult males is around 2.4 meters (8 ft) long nose to tail, with overall ranges between 1.5 and 2.75 m (5 and 9 ft) nose to tail suggested for the species in general. Males typically weigh 53 to 100 kilograms (115 to 220 pounds), averaging 62 kg (137 lb). Females typically weigh between 29 and 64 kg (64 and 141 lb), averaging 42 kg (93 lb). Cougar size is smallest close to the equator, and larger towards the poles. The largest recorded cougar was shot in Arizona and weighed 125.5 kilograms (276 pounds) after its intestines were removed, indicating that in life it could have weighed nearly 136.2 kilograms (300 pounds). Several male cougars in British Columbia weighed between 86.4 and 95.5 kilograms (190 to 210 pounds).

Posted Image

Dire Wolf - Canis dirus
The Dire wolf (Canis dirus) is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis, and was most common in North America and South America from the Irvingtonian stage to the Rancholabrean stage of the Pleistocene epoch living 1.80 Ma – 10,000 years ago, existing for approximately 1.79 million years. lthough it was closely related to the Gray Wolf and other sister species, Canis dirus was not the direct ancestor of any species known today. Unlike the Gray Wolf, which is of Eurasian origin, the Dire Wolf evolved on the North American continent, along with the Coyote. The Dire Wolf co-existed with the Gray Wolf in North America for about 100,000 years. he Dire Wolf was larger than the Gray Wolf, averaging about 1.5 metres (5 ft) in length and weighing between 50 kg (110 lb) and 79 kg (174 lb). Despite superficial similarities to the Gray Wolf, there were significant differences between the two species. The legs of the Dire Wolf were proportionally shorter and sturdier than those of the Gray Wolf, and its brain case was smaller than that of a similarly sized gray wolf. The Dire Wolf's teeth were similar to the Gray Wolf's, only slightly larger, pointing to a hypercarnivorous to mesocarnivorous activity. Paleontologist R.M. Nowak states the dietary characteristics are primarily carnivorous as well as partially omnivorous.

Posted Image

Prehistoric Cat
Jan 29 2012, 07:33 PM
Dire Wolf VS Cougar
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Megafelis Fatalis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cougar wins IMO
Grappling ability + Agile enough to avoid the Dire Wolf's Bite + size advantage
Edited by Megafelis Fatalis, Jan 29 2012, 09:20 PM.

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
At parity I would say this 50/50, slightly favouring the Cougar. At average weights the Cougar wins.

Also, don't forget that the Dire is more sturdy then the Grey and it may have had a more powerful bite.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The cougar will probably win.

kuri
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
not much difference between the dire wolf and a grey wolf..cougar wins

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
The cougar would be able to beat the wolf. Not as easily as the grey wolf though..

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If it's a large 200lb Cougar, I think it would win. But if the match was at parity, I think it would be really close. The Dire Wolf might win at parity.

Rashido
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
kuri
Jan 29 2012, 11:42 PM
not much difference between the dire wolf and a grey wolf..cougar wins
Are you kidding me? The dire wolf was much bigger and had a bone-crushing bite. I have had the opportunity to get up close and personal with dire wolf skulls and the difference is rather large.

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
dire wolf wins bigger with a bigger bite and stamina it wins

Neen
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
According to the description, the cougar is the bigger of the two. Regardless, even if the cougar were 10kg lighter it would win this battle.

Rashido
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Neen
Jan 30 2012, 07:45 AM
According to the description, the cougar is the bigger of the two. Regardless, even if the cougar were 10kg lighter it would win this battle.
What led you to that assumption?

Neen
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
I base this primarily on the cougar's strength & athletic ability. With these the cougar regurarly takes down prey much larger than itself. As much as I love wolves , it takes at least 2 or more to kill what a cougar can kill on it's own.

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cougar at at parity and max weights.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Neen
Jan 30 2012, 07:58 AM
I base this primarily on the cougar's strength & athletic ability. With these the cougar regurarly takes down prey much larger than itself. As much as I love wolves , it takes at least 2 or more to kill what a cougar can kill on it's own.
Dire wolves specialized in taking down larger prey than greywolves. Their skulls are not only larger but more robust with larger canines. At equal weights I don't think this match is compareable to cougars interacting with grey wolves.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not that different compared to a Gray Wolf. Cougar wins.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: