Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Giganotosaurus carolinii 22 (35.5%)
Tyrannosaurus rex 40 (64.5%)
Total Votes: 62
Giganotosaurus carolinii v Tyrannosaurus rex
Topic Started: Jan 31 2012, 05:48 PM (110,910 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Giganotosaurus carolinii
Giganotosaurus ("giant southern lizard"), was a carcharodontosaurid dinosaur that lived 93 to 89 million years ago during the Turonian stage of the Late Cretaceous period. It is one of the longest known terrestrial carnivores, bigger than Tyrannosaurus, but in length and weight, smaller than Spinosaurus. Although longer than T. rex, G. carolinii was lighter and had a much smaller braincase that was the size and shape of a banana. A well-developed olfactory region means it probably had a good sense of smell. Titanosaur fossils have been recovered near the remains of Giganotosaurus, leading to speculation that these carnivores may have preyed on the giant herbivores. Fossils of related carcharodontosaurid fossils grouped closely together may indicate pack hunting, a behavior that could possibly extend to Giganotosaurus itself. he holotype specimen's (MUCPv-Ch1) skeleton was about 70% complete and included parts of the skull, a lower jaw, pelvis, hindlimbs and most of the backbone. The premaxillae, jugals, quadratojugals, the back of the lower jaws and the forelimbs are missing. Various estimates find that it measured somewhere between 12.2 and 13 m (40 and 43 ft) in length, and between 6.5 and 13.3 tons in weight. A second, more fragmentary, specimen (MUCPv-95) has also been identified, found in 1987 by Jorge Calvo. It is only known from the front part of the left dentary which is 8% larger than the equivalent bone from the holotype. This largest Giganotosaurus specimen is estimated to represent an individual with a skull length of 195 cm (6.40 ft), compared to the holotype's estimated at 1.80 m (5.9 ft) skull, making it likely that Giganotosaurus had the largest skull of any known theropod. Giganotosaurus surpassed Tyrannosaurus in mass by at least half a ton (the upper size estimate for T. rex is 9.1 t). Additionally several single teeth, discovered from 1987 onwards, have been referred to the species.

Posted Image

Tyrannosaurus rex
Tyrannosaurus is a genus of coelurosaurian theropod dinosaur. The species Tyrannosaurus rex (rex meaning "king" in Latin), commonly abbreviated to T. rex, is a fixture in popular culture. It lived throughout what is now western North America, with a much wider range than other tyrannosaurids. Fossils are found in a variety of rock formations dating to the Maastrichtian age of the upper Cretaceous Period, 67 to 65.5 million years ago. It was among the last non-avian dinosaurs to exist before the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event. Like other tyrannosaurids, Tyrannosaurus was a bipedal carnivore with a massive skull balanced by a long, heavy tail. Relative to the large and powerful hindlimbs, Tyrannosaurus forelimbs were small, though unusually powerful for their size, and bore two clawed digits. Although other theropods rivaled or exceeded Tyrannosaurus rex in size, it was the largest known tyrannosaurid and one of the largest known land predators. By far the largest carnivore in its environment, Tyrannosaurus rex may have been an apex predator, preying upon hadrosaurs and ceratopsians, although some experts have suggested it was primarily a scavenger. The debate over Tyrannosaurus as apex predator or scavenger is among the longest running in paleontology. Tyrannosaurus rex was one of the largest land carnivores of all time; the largest complete specimen, FMNH PR2081 ("Sue"), measured 12.8 metres (42 ft) long, and was 4.0 metres (13.1 ft) tall at the hips. Mass estimates have varied widely over the years, from more than 7.2 metric tons (7.9 short tons), to less than 4.5 metric tons (5.0 short tons), with most modern estimates ranging between 5.4 and 6.8 metric tons (6.0 and 7.5 short tons). Packard et al. (2009) tested dinosaur mass estimation procedures on elephants and concluded that dinosaur estimations are flawed and produce over-estimations; thus, the weight of Tyrannosaurus could be much less than usually estimated. Other estimations have concluded that the largest known Tyrannosaurus specimens had a weight exceeding 9 tonnes.

Posted Image

Prehistoric Cat
Jan 31 2012, 04:53 PM
Giganotosaurus VS Tyrannosaurus
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Giganotosaurus wins 65% IMO
It was larger than Tyrannosaurus, at parity Tyrannosaurus wins 60% IMO.

Quote:

Quote:

The largest known Tyrannosaurus rex skulls measure up to 5 feet (1.5 m) in length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaurus#Description

Quote:

This largest Giganotosaurus specimen is estimated to represent an individual with a skull length of 195 cm (6.40 ft).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giganotosaurus#Description

I made some changes, This one is more Accurate
Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Taipan, Feb 1 2012, 08:18 PM.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Giganotosaurus is only slightly bigger. I favor T-Rex since it had a stronger bite, and was much more robust. Not to mention it was the most advanced big theropod.

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Prehistoric Cat
Jan 31 2012, 11:48 PM
Posted Image
I still favor T-Rex for the reasons I said above.

7Alx
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Giga holotype (MUCPv-Ch1) measured only 12.2-12.5 (13??) m in length and weight 4.86-8.48 tons. So it was even smaller than Sue, which was 12.8 m and 6.4-10.2 tons. Another Giga specimen (MUCPv-95) is extreme fragmentary (only part of dentary). The size is estimated at ~13.2 m in length and ~6.2-10.8 tons. The biggest T.rex skull ever found (MOR 008) was about 10 cm longer than FMNH PR2081 (Sue) skull. MOR 008 could be ~13.1 m. The possible largest specimens of T.rex like UCMP 137538, MOR 1152 and MOR 1126 (C.rex) could be over 14 m. However skeletons were very fragmentary too and their size estimates are uncertain and values could overestimated. Actually, even if Giga was longer because of skull and very long tail, Tyrannosaurus would be slightly bigger due bigger weight and height.
I vote for T.rex, because it was much more advanced, smarter and more powerful.

Prehistoric Cat
Posted Image

Dude, the size comparison is outdated.
Edited by 7Alx, Feb 1 2012, 02:25 AM.

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
giganto wins its bigger and had larger possible prey in the area so is built to hunt it

SameerPrehistorica
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
DinosaurMichael
Jan 31 2012, 11:30 PM
Giganotosaurus is only slightly bigger. I favor T-Rex since it had a stronger bite, and was much more robust. Not to mention it was the most advanced big theropod.
I agree that.It was only slightly bigger than T.Rex. Eventhough the new estimates of T.Rex is 10 tonne.In that case T.Rex is slightly bigger.Whatever...... Giganotosarus - 40 % Tyrannosaurus Rex - 60 %

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
7Alx
Feb 1 2012, 12:32 AM
Prehistoric Cat
Posted Image

What about the skull comparison?

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SameerPrehistorica
Feb 1 2012, 02:03 AM
DinosaurMichael
Jan 31 2012, 11:30 PM
I agree that.It was only slightly bigger than T.Rex. Eventhough the new estimates of T.Rex is 10 tonne.In that case T.Rex is slightly bigger.Whatever...... Giganotosarus - 40 % Tyrannosaurus Rex - 60 %
Giganotosaurus was 13 tons

7Alx
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Prehistoric Cat
Feb 1 2012, 02:24 AM
7Alx
Feb 1 2012, 12:32 AM
Prehistoric Cat
Posted Image

What about the skull comparison?
They had different proportions. Of course Giga skull was longer than T.rex, but doesn't mean that it was bigger. And the 13 tons is overestimated, Therrier used sucky methods, he made it too heavy.

Quote:

FRANÇOIS THERRIEN

give a extremely unreliable 13980KG for MUCPv-Ch1 this measurement was actually bases on the assumption the MUCPv-Ch1's skull/body length ratio and body structure is identical to the oldest(note that i did not say the largest) T rex, which is nonsense)

Even Giga bones are much thinner than T.rex's. So how the hell was heavier ?

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think you are right.

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
At parity, I would go with the Tyrannosaurus, however, it would be close if the Giganotosaurus had the size advantage.

The Tyrannosaurus has smaller jaws but they are stronger than those of the Giganotosaurus. I'd say T-Rex 6.5/10.

Taurus
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Trex has much better chances to kill a Gigantosaurus.

DarkGricer
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
??? I posted here, but my post didn't apear. Strange.

Anyway: Giga wins this. It's bigger, more agile and can cause more serious injuries much quicker using those gigantic scicors. Giga wins 60% of the time.
Edited by DarkGricer, Feb 1 2012, 11:21 AM.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dinosauria Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.