Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Smilodon populator 28 (38.4%)
Kodiak Bear 45 (61.6%)
Total Votes: 73
Smilodon populator v Kodiak Bear
Topic Started: Feb 2 2012, 05:17 PM (11,171 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Smilodon populator
Smilodon, often called a saber-toothed cat or wrongly a saber-toothed tiger, is an extinct genus of machairodonts. This saber-toothed cat was endemic to North America and South America, living from near the beginning through the very end of the Pleistocene epoch (2.5 mya—10,000 years ago). Smilodon populator ("Smilodon the Devastator"), 1 million-10,000 years ago; occurred in the eastern parts of South America and was the largest species of all machairodonts. It was much larger than its cousins, S. fatalis and S. gracilis, possessing a massive chest and front legs, and is the largest known variety of saber-toothed cat. It was more than 1.40 m (55 in) high at the shoulder, 2.6 m (100 in) long on average and had a 30 cm (12 in) tail. Smilodon populator was substantially heavier and larger than any extant felid, with a body mass range of 220–360 kg. Particularly large specimens of S. populator almost certainly exceeded 400 kg in body mass. Its upper canines reached 30 cm (12 in) and protruded up to 17 cm (6.7 in) out of the upper jaw. Genetic evidence suggests that Smilodon populator and other members of the genus diverged from the main lineage of modern cats (subfamily Felinae) around 14-18 million years ago.

Posted Image

Kodiak Bear - Ursus a. middendorffi
The Kodiak bear (Ursus arctos middendorffi), also known as the Kodiak brown bear or the Alaskan grizzly bear or American brown bear, is the largest subspecies of the brown bear. They have lived isolated from other bears for over 10,000 years. In the wild, Kodiak bears are found only on the islands in the Kodiak Archipelago off the south coast of Alaska. They are believed to have been isolated there since the last Ice Age over 10,000 years ago. Because of the abundance of food on Kodiak Island, they have smaller home ranges than any other brown bears and have no need to defend territories. The average adult male Kodiak bear stands five feet at the shoulder when on all four and can measure over 10 feet when standing upright. The average male weighs from 310 to 360 kgs. Between the springtime when they leave hibernation and the fall, their weight can increase by more than 50 percent. Females are about 20 percent smaller in size and weigh 30 percent lighter than males. Kodiak bears vary in color from beige to dark brown. Although there are Kodiak bears on record for having dimensions measuring larger than that of the polar bears', the polar bear on average is still by far the largest species of bear alive. Bears that die of natural causes live to be 20 to 25 years on average.

Posted Image

________________________________________________________________________________

vodmeister
Feb 2 2012, 01:35 AM
Smilodon Populator vs. Kodiak Brown Bear ?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ShadowPredator
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Kodiak Bear

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kodiak Bear wins IMO
It is larger than Smilodon Populator at average and maximum size.
At parity, i think Smilodon wins 55% IMO.

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm going with the Kodiak Bear, however at parity think it would be 50/50.

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I don't support any living predator over a large populator. Tigers are known to bring it to large brown bears; winning some, and loosing some. A smilodon is leagues above a tiger..

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Size range for females is from 225 kg (500 lbs) to 315 kg (700 lbs) and for males 360 kg (800 lbs) to 635 kg (1400 lbs). Mature males average 480–533 kg (1,058–1,175 lb) over the course of the year, and can weigh up to 680 kg (1500 lbs) at peak times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodiak_bear#Size

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I vote Kodiak Bear. Much more bigger, and has those very strong paws

Though Smilodon Populator won't go down easy since it would be alot more faster, and agile. But I could see it winning at times.
Edited by DinosaurMichael, Feb 3 2012, 04:21 AM.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
vodmeister
Feb 3 2012, 11:24 AM
DinosaurMichael
Feb 3 2012, 04:19 AM
The Kodiak isn't any larger than the Smilodon Populator on average.

Another note; while the bear would be able to strike with slightly greater usage of force, the sabertooth's pawswipes would likely be more lethal, due it's sharper, retractile claws.
Yes on average. Maximum weights. It is heavier. I still vote for the Bear anyway.

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
vodmeister
Feb 3 2012, 11:24 AM
DinosaurMichael
Feb 3 2012, 04:19 AM
The Kodiak isn't any larger than the Smilodon Populator on average.

Another note; while the bear would be able to strike with slightly greater usage of force, the sabertooth's pawswipes would likely be more lethal, due it's sharper, retractile claws.
Why would the bear strike with higher force? At parity, it should be the smilo the one who strikes harder, considering that it was very muscular, and being a cat it likely had a higher proportion of white fiber muscle for explosive power.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Tigerkid
Mar 2 2012, 09:27 PM
Field mouse VS Indricotherium. Just kidding S. Populator vs kodiak(or any other similarly sized bear)

Here it is! :)

SameerPrehistorica
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Kodiak Bear wins mostly...

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
The Smilodon would take this 7/10 at parity and the Kodiak would take this 6 or 7/10 at max

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

vodmeister

Smilodon Populator vs Coastal Grizzly Bear

We've got this!

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
A Smilodon may be able to swing their paws with greater force at parity, but I think the claws of the Kodiak would do more damage.
Posted Image
Edited by Superpredator, Jul 17 2012, 06:59 PM.

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Superpredator
Jul 17 2012, 06:59 PM
A Smilodon may be able to swing their paws with greater force at parity, but I think the claws of the Kodiak would do more damage.
Posted Image

But i dont think this is going to be a slapping match, The cat is going to want to take the bear down and use its teeth, its claws making sure it holds the bear still, but i think Smilos huge teeth might be more of a hindrance then a help?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: