Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Snow Leopard 61 (70.1%)
Grey Wolf 26 (29.9%)
Total Votes: 87
Snow Leopard v Grey Wolf
Topic Started: Feb 2 2012, 08:31 PM (24,441 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Snow Leopard - Uncia uncia
The snow leopard (Uncia uncia or Panthera uncia ), also known in some instances as the ounce, is a large cat native to the mountain ranges of central Asia. The taxonomic position of this species has been subject to change. In the past, many taxonomists included the snow leopard in the genus Panthera, with several of the other largest felids, but later it was placed in its own genus, Uncia. However, most recent molecular studies place the species firmly within the genus Panthera, although the exact position remains unclear. Along with the Clouded Leopard, it represents an intermediate between so-called big cats and smaller specimens as it can neither roar nor purr. Well known for its beautiful fur, the snow leopard has a soft grey coat with ringed spots and rosettes of black on brown. Its tail is heavy with fur and the bottom of its paws are covered with fur for protection against snow and cold. Snow leopards are smaller than the other big cats but, like them, exhibit a range of sizes, generally weighing between 27 and 55 kg (60 and 120 lb), with an occasional large male reaching 75 kg (170 lb) and small female of under 25 kg (55 lb). Body length ranges from 75 to 130 centimetres (30 to 50 in), with the tail adding a further 80 to 100 cm (31 to 39 in) to that length. These cats stand about 60 cm (24 in) at the shoulder.

Posted Image

Grey Wolf - Canis lupus
The Grey Wolf (Canis lupus ) is the largest wild canid, males averaging between 70 and 145 pounds (30 - 65 kg) depending on subspecies. The Wolf has a specialized body that has made it one of the world's most efficient hunters. Its powerful neck is a very important adaptation: it has to be strong to support the wolf's large head and is crucial for bringing down prey. The skull is 31cm (12 inches) long and is armed with an impressive array of large canines and carnassial teeth which, when coupled with huge jaw muscles that are evident from the large sagittal crest and wide zygomatic arches, give it an incredible biteforce that is strong enough to break the bones of prey and even crack the femur of moose. Wolves primarily feed on medium to large sized ungulates (up to the size of bison 10–15 times larger than themselves), though they are not fussy eaters. Medium and small sized animals that may supplement the diet of wolves include marmots, beaver, hares, badgers, foxes, weasels, ground squirrels, mice, hamsters, voles and other rodents, as well as insectivores.

Posted Image

___________________________________________________________________________________

Gregoire
Feb 2 2012, 05:26 PM
Arctic Wolf vs Snow Leopard
Edited by Taipan, Feb 2 2012, 08:32 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
Grey Wolf 60% of the time IMO. I'm assuming this is at parity, if that is the case then I don't really see what the Snow Leopard can do. I have never seen nor heard of any impressive killing or fighting feats of the Snow Leopard, but I have seen many of the Wolf. The Snow Leopard does not appear to have a very powerful build either, with most of it being thick fur.

ShadowPredator
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Agreed, you stole the words right out of my mouth; now lets just hope Felinepower stays in his box and doesn't find this thread

Megafelis Fatalis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Snow Leopard wins IMO
Grappling + Agility

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm going with the Snow Leopard here. At largest sizes, the Leopard weighs more, and it does have grappling abilities.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
At parity around 50 kg 60/40 Leopard. At max weights (75 kg vs 75 kg) 70/30 leopard.

kuri
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
ShadowPredator
Feb 2 2012, 10:08 PM
Agreed, you stole the words right out of my mouth; now lets just hope Felinepower stays in his box and doesn't find this thread
can you please stop this cyber-bullying ? Any cat supporter should not enter this thread? Your posting is a form of influence.
Edited by kuri, Feb 2 2012, 11:55 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bandog
Member Avatar
Everything else is just a dog.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I see it being a good fight. Wolves can kill cougars with skull bites so it is capable of dispatching the snow leopard. Of course the snow leopard can kill the wolf with a throat hold or skull bite or whatever. I honestly see this as a 50/50 with an advantage moving toward the cat at high end weights

Veli
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
this is probably the closest match as far as big cat vs wild canine match-ups goes, while cougars and leopards are too large and strong for a wolf to take on, snow leopard is perfect match with its weaker morphology and lesser jaws.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
maybe snow leopard is weaker then pua,but I think its not a big difference. We know less about this animal,but it looks very impressive and I believe at 50 kg parity snow leo take the 5-10% advantage in the fight with canine.

Veli
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
50kg snow leopard can be called as a really large one, 40kg is likely closer to average weight.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ok.for 40 kg parity my vote for leopard 55/45.

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ShadowPredator
lol wolf gets beaten simple as that...

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Feb 3 2012, 01:56 AM
I see it being a good fight. Wolves can kill cougars with skull bites so it is capable of dispatching the snow leopard. Of course the snow leopard can kill the wolf with a throat hold or skull bite or whatever. I honestly see this as a 50/50 with an advantage moving toward the cat at high end weights
For the wolf to ever get a skull bite on a puma the puma would have to be a sleep....lol
When has a single wolf ever killed a puma???? pumas have killed wolves...
Edited by FelinePowah, Feb 3 2012, 05:24 AM.

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
kuri
Feb 2 2012, 11:51 PM
ShadowPredator
can you please stop this cyber-bullying ? Any cat supporter should not enter this thread? Your posting is a form of influence.
Kuri he is only saying that becuase he can not really make any sort of real argument for the wolf to win

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: