Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Grey Wolf v Bull Mastiff
Topic Started: Feb 5 2012, 01:54 PM (13,916 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Grey Wolf - Canis lupus
The Grey Wolf (Canis lupus ) is the largest wild canid, males averaging between 70 and 145 pounds (30 - 65 kg) depending on subspecies. The Wolf has a specialized body that has made it one of the world's most efficient hunters. Its powerful neck is a very important adaptation: it has to be strong to support the wolf's large head and is crucial for bringing down prey. The skull is 31cm (12 inches) long and is armed with an impressive array of large canines and carnassial teeth which, when coupled with huge jaw muscles that are evident from the large sagittal crest and wide zygomatic arches, give it an incredible biteforce that is strong enough to break the bones of prey and even crack the femur of moose. Wolves primarily feed on medium to large sized ungulates (up to the size of bison 10–15 times larger than themselves), though they are not fussy eaters. Medium and small sized animals that may supplement the diet of wolves include marmots, beaver, hares, badgers, foxes, weasels, ground squirrels, mice, hamsters, voles and other rodents, as well as insectivores.

Posted Image

Bullmastiff
The Bullmastiff is a large breed of domestic dog. It has a solid build and a short muzzle. The Bullmastiff shares the characteristics of Molosser dogs, and was originally developed by 19th-century gamekeepers in England to guard estates and immobilize poachers. The breed's bloodlines are drawn from the English Mastiff and Old English Bulldog. Bred by English gamekeepers in the 19th to assist English wardens or gamekeepers guard estates. As a result the Bullmastiff is known as the Gamekeeper's Night Dog. The Bullmastiff was a cross of 40% Old English Bulldog (not the short, chubby Bulldog of today) and 60% English Mastiff for its size, strength and loyalty. Males should be 25 to 27 inches (63 to 69 cm) tall (AKC Std.) at the withers and 110 to 130 pounds (50 to 59 kg). Females should be 24 to 26 inches (61 to 66 cm) at the withers, and 100 to 120 pounds (45 to 54 kg). Exceeding these dimensions is discouraged by breeders.

Posted Image

Amphicyon
Feb 5 2012, 10:02 AM
May I request grey wolf vs bandog or mastiff of your choice?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Icestorm
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
"Dogs will attack legs if they are being held in a position that prevents them from also biting the neck. They also will work the chest or whatever else they can get their jaws around, even the stifle. Instinctively (like wolves) dogs go for the neck as they can better control and attempt to kill the opponent." --Vita

This isn't the same thing as what Populator is talking about. Wolves will attack the limbs, shoulders or eyes not out of the desperation of being pinned or finding themselves in a weaker position, but to methodically weaken their opponent. Cynologists have made note of this, dogs are tactically-limited in combat compared to wolves. This is likely because dogs are pedomorphic animals.

As for the fight, the most capable wolf will kill the most capable bull mastiff just about every time. The only scenario I could favor the dog in here was if it was an exceptional working BM with at least a 25% size advantage (I'd be more comfortable with 33-50% though).

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Icestorm
Feb 7 2012, 12:56 PM
"Dogs will attack legs if they are being held in a position that prevents them from also biting the neck. They also will work the chest or whatever else they can get their jaws around, even the stifle. Instinctively (like wolves) dogs go for the neck as they can better control and attempt to kill the opponent." --Vita

This isn't the same thing as what Populator is talking about. Wolves will attack the limbs, shoulders or eyes not out of the desperation of being pinned or finding themselves in a weaker position, but to methodically weaken their opponent. Cynologists have made note of this, dogs are tactically-limited in combat compared to wolves. This is likely because dogs are pedomorphic animals.

As for the fight, the most capable wolf will kill the most capable bull mastiff just about every time. The only scenario I could favor the dog in here was if it was an exceptional working BM with at least a 25% size advantage (I'd be more comfortable with 33-50% though).
I've seen too many instances of dogs in combat to agree with this. Would a dog bite the legs of its opponent out of desperation or to also weaken it? Referring to breeds that were selectively bred for combat, they can maneuver themselves more effectively than wild canids. Positioning themselves in ways wolves physically cannot do as well. Fighting breeds are not tactically-limited in regards to combat. Especially those who have been in many bouts and have fought against dogs with differing preferred methods of fighting. e.g. dogs that are masters at working head holds, making it difficult for the opponent to have a chance at biting them back. Personally, I do not favor the mastiff mentioned in this thread. There are numerous other mastiffs breeds with superior teeth size and biting power that could rival wolves.
Edited by Vita, Feb 7 2012, 02:03 PM.

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
wolf should take this pretty easily it is all round more deadly

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I own a bullmastiff and their no joke. I don't favour mine over a large subspecies of wolf, but some of the big male bullmastiffs that were owned by the lady i bought mine from could have probably given a wolf a run for it's money, massive, slobbering agressive beasts.
Edited by Full Throttle, Mar 12 2012, 01:01 AM.

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Meet a female yesterday with my sbt male. They are extremly powerful, looks very durable, very strong bonestructure and powerful head, but most of the time to slow to win against a large nothern wolf. If it gets a good bite first it can end the fight, but wolf most of the time due to killing bite, speed and athletisism.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Admantus

timber wolf vs bullmastif

Well this probably covers it.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The wolf wins for sure.

linnaeus1758
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The original dog has a much more efficient design. Because it's the original.

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
wolf weight,stronger bite,size avantage,agiliy

Canis Warrior
Member Avatar
Canidae expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
wolf

Animal King
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
The bullmastiff might be able to do it I doubt it though. I've heard rotts can kill wolves in the north. But bullmastiff is not as athletic so I favour wolf.

Canis Warrior
Member Avatar
Canidae expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Grandej221
Jun 2 2013, 03:34 AM
The bullmastiff might be able to do it I doubt it though. I've heard rotts can kill wolves in the north. But bullmastiff is not as athletic so I favour wolf.
where did you here that?

Canis Warrior
Member Avatar
Canidae expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Grandej221
Jun 2 2013, 03:34 AM
The bullmastiff might be able to do it I doubt it though. I've heard rotts can kill wolves in the north. But bullmastiff is not as athletic so I favor wolf.
btw I looked it up one account where a rottweiler saved his family from an aggressive alpha male wolf he attacked gave the family enough time to run away but the wolf killed the rottweiler then the dad killed the starving wolf so yea no accounts
Edited by Canis Warrior, Jun 2 2013, 03:56 AM.

Animal King
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I said I have heard story's of people saying this stuff like on comments. But yes you are right no accounts.

Animal King
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Sorry cant find the comment where someone said in Alaska ( i think)a rott killed a wolf. Might be true might not no one knows including me.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: