Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
African Lion 108 (76.1%)
Eastern Gorilla Silverback 34 (23.9%)
Total Votes: 142
African Lion v Eastern Gorilla Silverback
Topic Started: Feb 6 2012, 05:56 PM (64,661 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

African Lion - Panthera leo
The lion (Panthera leo) is one of the four big cats in the genus Panthera, and a member of the family Felidae. With some males exceeding 250 kg (550 lb) in weight, it is the second-largest living cat after the tiger. Wild lions currently exist in Sub-Saharan Africa and in Asia with an endangered remnant population in Gir Forest National Park in India, having disappeared from North Africa and Southwest Asia in historic times. Until the late Pleistocene, about 10,000 years ago, the lion was the most widespread large land mammal after humans. They were found in most of Africa, across Eurasia from western Europe to India, and in the Americas from the Yukon to Peru. The lion is a vulnerable species, having seen a possibly irreversible population decline of thirty to fifty percent over the past two decades in its African range. The African lion is a very large cat, with males weighing between 330 and 550 pounds and females weighing between 260 and 400 pounds. It is 8 to 10 feet long, not including the tail. Its most famous feature is its mane, which only male lions have. The mane is a yellow color when the lion is young and darkens with age. Eventually, the mane will be dark brown. The body of the African lion is well suited for hunting. It is very muscular, with back legs designed for pouncing and front legs made for grabbing and knocking down prey. It also has very strong jaws that enable it to eat the large prey that it hunts.

Posted Image

Eastern Gorilla - Gorilla beringei
The eastern gorilla (Gorilla beringei) is a species of the genus Gorilla and the largest living primate. At present, the species is subdivided into two subspecies. The eastern lowland gorilla (G. b. graueri) is the most populous, at about 5,000 individuals. The mountain gorilla (G. b. beringei) has only about 700 individuals. The eastern gorilla is a large hominid with a large head, broad chest, and long arms. It has a flat nose with large nostrils. The face, hands, feet and breast are bald. The fur is mainly black, but adult males have a silvery "saddle" on their back. When the gorilla gets older, the entire fur becomes grayish, much like the gray hair of elderly people. This is why the older males are sometimes called Silverbacks. The eastern lowland gorilla has a shorter, thicker, deep black fur, while the mountain gorilla has a more bluish color. The mountain gorilla is slightly smaller and lighter than the eastern lowland gorilla, but still slightly larger than the western lowland gorilla. Males are much larger than females. A full-grown adult male Eastern gorilla weighs an average of 195 kg (430 lb) and stands 1.7 m (5.6 ft) upright and a female typically weighs 100 kg (220 lb) and stands 1.4 m (4.6 ft). The tallest silverback recorded was a 1.94-metre (6.4 ft) individual shot in Alimbongo, northern Kivu in May 1938. The heaviest gorilla recorded was a 1.83-metre (6.0 ft) silverback shot in Ambam, Cameroon which weighed about 266 kilograms (590 lb), although the latter area is within the range of the western gorilla, far outside that of the eastern gorilla.

Posted Image

liamshannon
Feb 6 2012, 07:15 AM
Male Lion vs Silverback Gorilla
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mismatch, lion would win 10 out of 10. The gorilla would be a nice snacky big dinner

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wouldn't say mismatch but lion would win mostly

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
I'm tempted to call this a borderline mismatch. Eastern Silverbacks are incredibly formidable, but an African Lion male may just be to much. The Gorilla has an intelligence advantage and his hands, as well as being able to more effectively use his considerable strength. However the Lion has the weaponry and the combat experience, as well as being more stable in a quadrupedal position.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
I'd vote for a Gorilla over a Leopard and Jaguar, but a Lion would just be too much. It wins.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
At parity Lion 95/5.

liamshannon
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
I can't see how the Gorilla can defend itself let alone kill the lion, are there no accounts of the past of these two animals meeting ever?

1futuremarine1
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
liamshannon
Feb 7 2012, 01:50 AM
I can't see how the Gorilla can defend itself let alone kill the lion, are there no accounts of the past of these two animals meeting ever?
Not in recent times, no.
Mountain gorillas are now only found in the Bwindi imprenetrable forest, and in Virungas volcanic mountains.
Eastern lowland gorillas are only found in the forests of eastern Democratic republic of the Congo.
Both areas are far from any living lion species.
And not only that, but most of mountain gorillas and eastern lowland gorillas live protected lives in national parks, which would likely move any major predators out of the park to protect this very valuable and endangered species.

However, I am sure they have met each other in previos times before both species were devastated by man.
Course I am unsure there are any surving records of them encountering each other, as these are 2 of the most famous species on the planet, and it would these records would have likely been found.
I have seen records posted on carnivora that date back into the 1800s that came from a small newpaper artical from the middle of nowhere lol, but I have yet to see anyone post records of lions and gorillas meeting during the 1800s and 1900s.

liamshannon
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
1futuremarine1
Feb 7 2012, 02:36 AM
liamshannon
Feb 7 2012, 01:50 AM
Not in recent times, no.
Mountain gorillas are now only found in the Bwindi imprenetrable forest, and in Virungas volcanic mountains.
Eastern lowland gorillas are only found in the forests of eastern Democratic republic of the Congo.
Both areas are far from any living lion species.
And not only that, but most of mountain gorillas and eastern lowland gorillas live protected lives in national parks, which would likely move any major predators out of the park to protect this very valuable and endangered species.

However, I am sure they have met each other in previos times before both species were devastated by man.
Course I am unsure there are any surving records of them encountering each other, as these are 2 of the most famous species on the planet, and it would these records would have likely been found.
I have seen records posted on carnivora that date back into the 1800s that came from a small newpaper artical from the middle of nowhere lol, but I have yet to see anyone post records of lions and gorillas meeting during the 1800s and 1900s.
Surely if the two species met in the past the Gorilla would simply be seen as a medium sized prey item by the lion, I mean how can the Gorilla be seen as dangerous when lions tackle buffalos etc.

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
Because the Gorilla has the ability to fight in a bipedal stance and has Primate hands. Lions also tackle most of their prey from ambush, this is face to face.

Bright Nights
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
The male lion is too powerful for a gorilla. It's a mismatch in my opinion.

A fight between a Lioness and Silverback Gorilla is a better match.

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
The lion would slaughter the gorilla.

1futuremarine1
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Afircan lion 7.5/10
I would support a Eastern lowland gorilla over a cougar, leopard, and perhaps even the powerhous that is the Jaguar. But not over a lion or a tiger.
I do believe that a Eastern lowland gorilla holds a strength advantage in the back, chest, and arm areas, and male gorillas have extremely powerful bites and large canines. But what a lion may not hold in strength (relatively speaking they are still powerful animals), it does hold in knowledge, skill, and ability in combat and the hunt.
A gorilla also don't know how to effectively use their strength a powerful bites, while a lion does.
I believe a more leveld match would be a african lioness, but even then I would support the lioness.

If, for instance, a gorilla was experienced in combat and felines, and knew how to effectively use it's strength and bite, I believe that would level the playing field greatly (perhaps even 50/50), but this ofcourse will likely never happen, and it would not be fair to do so anyway.
So I must go with a lion.
7.5/10

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Changed my mind mismatch

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm of the opinion the gorilla will win. Here is why:

1. Animal Planet's Most Extreme strength ranked the gorilla 8th (1 being strongest) with the ability to lift 4600 LBs or about 10 times its weight. The lion didn't make the list.

2. http://www.worldwildlife.org/what/wherewework/congo/species.html The gorilla has an armspan of 7 feet meaning it has much longer reach than the lion.

3. The gorilla is smarter and more dextrous. It's 4 hands can exploit weaknesses (eyes, extremities, ears, nose for example) in ways the lion will struggle to do. Hands also carry potential tool use. The ape can possibly pelt the lion with sticks and rocks.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1364810.ece This was from a chimp. Can you imagine what an ape 2-3 times the size of that chimp could do?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060812113302AAbejNL This mix of power and dexterity will aid the ape tremendously

4. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20100306-Dallas-Zoo-says-response-to-gorilla-4093.ece Gives a number of cases of gorillas escaping their zoo enclosures. While normally quiet, gorillas can be explosive and fast when aroused.

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EWkR_i0mns The grip strength of an orangutan. If a gorilla grabbed ahold of a lion's leg and yank it, the lion would be seriously injured.

6. http://www.awf.org/content/wildlife/detail/mountaingorilla Gorillas are 50-100 LB heavier and x10 stronger than the biggest american football players. Also states that the Silverback will give his life to protect his troop. A silverback gorilla won't hesitate to attack a lion if he feels it is threatening his troop.

7. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspecies-Conflict-3754/Gorilla-Vs-Big-Cats.htm this expert states a gorilla has the upper body strength of 12-20 men and has bones 12 times denser than a man. The gorilla's long hairs can also give protection against claws. It's also very interesting to note the expert favors gorillas over big cats.

8. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Animals-705/BITE-FORCE.htm Gorillas have 1300-1400 LBs of bite force.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK84KVxXHIQ The lion only has 600. Tiger 1000.

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebd36p4zkw baboon intimidates lion

10. strength of a CALM Silverback Gorilla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdURQEOki0

11. http://news.monstersandcritics.com/africa/news/article_1375106.php/Kenyan_man_who_defeated_lion_dies_after_attack_by_hyenas man kills lion with bare hands.

In conclusion, I feel that the gorilla's strength, reach, brains, bite force, and potential improvisation effectively cancels out the lion's predator instinct and claws. Again, this is just my opinion so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: