Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Lolong the Saltwater Crocodile vs Gustave the Nile Crocodile
Topic Started: Feb 28 2012, 06:04 AM (17,753 Views)
DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lolong the Saltwater Crocodile
Lolong is the largest crocodile in captivity. A male Indo-Pacific or Saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus), he weighs 2,370 pounds (1,075 kilograms) and has a length of 20 feet 3 inches (6.17 meters), making him one of the largest crocodiles ever measured from snout-to-tail.In November of 2011, Australian crocodile expert Dr. Adam Britton of National Geographic sedated and measured Lolong in his enclosure and confirmed Lolong as the world's longest crocodile ever caught in captivity. His confirmation is good enough for entry into the Guinness Book of World Records but the announcement is to be published in March of 2012. Officials of the town of Bunawan where the crocodile was captured said that experts from the National Geographic Channel found out that Lolong breaks the record of the previous record-holder: a 17 feet and 11.75 inches (5.48 meters) male saltwater crocodile named "Cassius" kept in the crocodile park of MarineLand Melanesia in Australia's Northern Territory.

Posted Image

Gustave the Nile Crocodile
Gustave is a large male Nile crocodile living in Burundi. In 2004 he was estimated to be 60 years old, 20 feet (6.1 m) in length and to weigh around 1 ton. He is rumoured to have claimed as many as 300 humans from the banks of the Ruzizi River and the northern shores of Lake Tanganyika. Though that number is difficult to prove, Gustave has attained a near-mythical status and is greatly feared by people in the region. Scientists and Herpetologists who have studied Gustave claim that his uncommon size and weight impedes the crocodile's ability to hunt the species' usual, agile prey such as fish, antelope and zebra, forcing him to attack larger animals such as Hippopotamus, large wildebeest and, to some extent, humans. According to a popular local warning, he is said to hunt and leave his victims' corpses uneaten.

Posted Image

Edited by DinosaurMichael, Feb 28 2012, 06:04 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Top

Replies:
Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Marine animal enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gustave wins. He has been known to regularly target animals most croc would lose against, and he's more experienced.

Mulawin
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Deinonychus

Crocs are slow in general. Gustave also is the more bulky one and probobaly has a strengtg adv. To since he must go for more dangerous prey.

I think Not, they are both equal in size Gustave- (6.1 m) & Lolong-(6.17 m) both are 1 ton Lolong was even slightly bigger.

Lolong 2370 lb or 1.185 ton Gustave is much older and normally SHOULD have grown bigger and heavier than lolong.

Edited by Mulawin, Nov 19 2012, 10:10 PM.

Mulawin
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]

lolong wins.

Edited by Mulawin, Nov 19 2012, 10:00 PM.

Mulawin
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
DinosaurMichael
Nov 19 2012, 09:37 PM
Mulawin don't be so sure. Though the average lifespan for Crocs is 70 years or more. Some have reach to the age of 100 and even more.

True But as they grow older they become slower... speed can be a factor.

Black Ice
Member Avatar
It Bites Worse Than It Barks
In crocodiles power>speed.

Ursus panthera
Member Avatar
Artiodactyla
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Gustave wins he has more experience

Ausar
Member Avatar
Deathless
Probably 50/50 for now.

Mulawin
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Deinonychus
Nov 19 2012, 10:08 PM
In crocodiles power>speed.

Lolong also has the power plus speed!

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Mulawin
Nov 19 2012, 10:04 PM
DinosaurMichael
Mulawin don't be so sure. Though the average lifespan for Crocs is 70 years or more. Some have reach to the age of 100 and even more.

I don't believe that. They seem to still be active even at that age.

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Marine animal enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
both should have equally low speed and equally high power.

Mulawin
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
DinosaurMichael
Nov 19 2012, 10:15 PM
Mulawin
Nov 19 2012, 10:04 PM
DinosaurMichael

I don't believe that. They seem to still be active even at that age.

I'm not the one who said it:

Quote:" "Scientists and Herpetologists who have studied Gustave claim that his uncommon size and weight impedes the crocodile's ability to hunt the species' usual, agile prey such as fish, antelope and zebra, forcing him to attack larger animals such as Hippopotamus, large wildebeest and, to some extent, humans."

dinofreak337

Im no expert on crocs But Lolong is much younger So I think it's more agile.

Edited by Mulawin, Nov 19 2012, 10:31 PM.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
I still think Gustave's fast.

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Marine animal enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mulawin
Nov 19 2012, 10:25 PM
dinofreak337

why would it make much of a difference? Both have still a reasonably amount of time left before they reach their average lifespan, and it's only 10 years. i don't think it makes a very big difference.

Mulawin
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
dinofreak337
Nov 19 2012, 11:14 PM
Mulawin
Nov 19 2012, 10:25 PM
dinofreak337

why would it make much of a difference? Both have still a reasonably amount of time left before they reach their average lifespan, and it's only 10 years. i don't think it makes a very big difference.

Probably 2-5 years wouldn't make much difference... But 10 years?! I don't think so.
It's a lot esp. for animals in the wild.

Edited by Mulawin, Nov 21 2012, 11:54 AM.

Fragillimus335
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lolong is bigger, and thus stronger. There is no way to determine which is more "skilled", or "ferocious"... Also no actual measurements have been taken of Gustave, so his real size might be overestimated.

For these reasons I think Lolong would prevail.

Also, both the age estimates for these animals are SWAG's, also known as Scientific Wild Ass Guesses... The 10 year age difference may not even exist. :P
Edited by Fragillimus335, Nov 21 2012, 02:06 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fantasy & Fictional Face-offs' · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: