Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
American Badger 11 (23.4%)
Honey Badger 36 (76.6%)
Total Votes: 47
American Badger v Honey Badger
Topic Started: Mar 6 2012, 08:31 PM (6,321 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

American Badger - Taxidea taxus
The American badger (Taxidea taxus) is a North American badger, somewhat similar in appearance to the European badger. It is found in the western and central United States, northern Mexico and central Canada, as well as in certain areas of southwestern British Columbia. Their habitat is typified by open grasslands with available prey (such as mice, squirrels, and groundhogs). They prefer areas with sandy loam soils where they can dig more easily for their prey, such as prairie regions. he American badger has most of the general characteristics common to badgers; stocky and low-slung with short, powerful legs, they are identifiable by their huge foreclaws (measuring up to 5 cm in length) and distinctive head markings. Measuring generally between 60 to 75 cm (23.6 to 29.5 inches) in length, males of the species are a little bit larger than females (with an average weight of roughly 7 kg (15.5 pounds) for females and up to almost 9 kg (19.8 pounds) for males). Northern subspecies such as T. t. jeffersonii are heavier than the southern subspecies. In the fall, when food is plentiful, adult male badgers can exceed 11.5 kg (25.3 pounds).

Posted Image

Honey Badger - Mellivora capensis
The honey badger (Mellivora capensis), also known as the ratel, is a species of mustelid native to Africa, the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent. Despite its name, the honey badger does not closely resemble other badger species, instead bearing more anatomical similarities to weasels. It is classed as Least Concern by the IUCN due to its extensive range and general environmental adaptations. It is a primarily carnivorous species, and has few natural predators due to its thick skin and ferocious defensive abilities. The honey badger has a fairly long body, but is distinctly thick set and broad across the back. Its skin is remarkably loose, and allows it to turn and twist freely within it. The skin around the neck is 6 millimetres (0.24 in) thick, an adaptation to fighting conspecifics. The head is small and flat, with a short muzzle. The eyes are small, and the ears are little more than ridges on the skin, another possible adaptation to avoiding damage while fighting. The honey badger has short and sturdy legs, with five toes on each foot. The feet are armed with very strong claws, which are short on the hind legs and remarkably long on the forelimbs. It is a partially plantigrade animal whose soles are thickly padded and naked up to the wrists. The tail is short and is covered in long hairs, save for below the base. Adults measure 23 to 28 centimetres (9.1 to 11 in) in shoulder height and 68–75 cm in body length, with females being smaller than males. Males on average weigh 12 kg (up to 16 kilograms) (26 to 35 lb) while females weigh 9.1 kg.

Posted Image

Mosquiller
Mar 6 2012, 09:10 AM
American Badger vs Honey Badger
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Megafelis Fatalis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Honey Badger wins IMO
Bigger Head - Bigger Teeth - Size advantage - bigger Claws

Mosquiller
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Prehistoric Cat
Mar 6 2012, 08:34 PM
Honey Badger wins IMO
Bigger Head - Bigger Teeth - Size advantage - bigger Claws
Not sure about the teeth, but american badger's claws are 1cm longer. it has also the higher bite force of the two.

ImperialDino
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Honey Badger is a more althetic version of the American Badger

Ratel
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Fight time consuming, stressful for both, but the Ratel has an advantage in speed and his skin should be even looser than that of the American Badger.

In summary, I think the Ratel favorite, something like 7/3 ratio.

Scalesofanubis
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I hate to say it, but I think the honey badger wins, it's bigger and probably quicker, but I think it's more of a six times out of ten thing than a seven. American badgers are nothing to screw with.

Mosquiller
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
can any one post info on american/honey badger bite force ?
i remember on the old carnivora it was stated that honey badgers have weak jaws.
if that's correct, then HB would have a very hard time killing the AB with it's superior weaponry.

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really don't know, but I think the HB would win due to it's durability. European badger vs hb would be a better match, because it's larger.

Honey Badger
Member Avatar
Rage faces walking their doge to the cheezburger stand, welcome to the earth of memes.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Honey Badger is stronger , More Vicious and can be very dangerous when angry . Ratel wins

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The honey badger wins for sure.

Themetalboa
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Honey Badger is badass. Honey Badger can easily kill an American Badger.

Catboy
Member Avatar
Cr1TiKaL
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Honey Badger is significantly bigger and is probably the more athletic one, I go with it.
Edited by Catboy, Nov 19 2013, 04:32 AM.

Lycaon
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I consider the defenses of these two animals to be on par with each other.
These animals would have a hard time killing each other, while it may look flashy with all the grunting and flailing it would be the equivalent of an extreme cat fight. Both animals trying to output a good degree of damage while ultimately failing at anything serious.

At parity this fight is a coin toss.

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
The American Badger is extremely durable aswell...I saw a video where it was surrounded and attacked by like 6 dogs (all which were individually heavier than the Badger) and it took a hell of a beating and was still fighting back aggressively untill it eventually escaped into bushes.....I think they were Jagterrier dogs.

I know it's dumb to base an opinion on one video but after seeing that I would back an American Badger (especially if it's one from Canada/Northern US) over a Jag Terrier (which is a hell of a tough dog itself)......The American Badger also has the significantly bigger skulls and stronger bite force at parity....plus the long claws. While this fight would end in a draw 99 times out of 100 the American Badger has nearly all of the actual advantages whereas the Ratel is just a mythical overhyped creature....I think if you forced them to fight to the death the American Badger would eventually prevail but it would take forever as they are both so durable.

But in the wild it's a draw 99/100 times.

I think they were Jagterriers or something
Edited by tigerburningbright, Feb 11 2013, 05:04 PM.

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Themetalboa
Aug 12 2012, 05:45 AM
Honey Badger is badass. Honey Badger can easily kill an American Badger.
Absolutely no...The Honey Badger is a typical overhyped African animal similiar to the Cape Buffalo...The AM Badger has almost all the advantages plus is every bit as durable and aggressive as the Ratel. It's got the bite force advantage...larger claws...etc etc plus in Canada it's the same size as the Ratel

One thing is for sure through...Badgers are unmatched in their ability to defend themselves on a lb for lb basis...No other carnivore on the planet at the Am badgers size could have survived being attacked by 5 larger Jag Terries and survived...If you replaced that Badger with a equivalent sized feline...the cat would have been dead very quickly (through unlike the slow badger the cat may have been able to get away) where as the badger took a hell of a beating and still fought back throughout untill it eventually was able to escape into a thicket.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply