Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi Active Multi Inactive
Add Reply
Who wins?
Cheetah 32 (24.2%)
Grey Wolf 100 (75.8%)
Total Votes: 132
Cheetah v Grey Wolf
Topic Started: Mar 13 2012, 04:18 PM (49,321 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Cheetah - Acinonyx jubatus
The cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) is a large-sized feline (family Felidae) inhabiting most of Africa and parts of the Middle East. The cheetah is the only extant member of the genus Acinonyx, most notable for modifications in the species' paws. As such, it is the only felid with non-retractable claws and pads that, by their scope, disallow gripping (therefore cheetahs cannot climb vertical trees, although they are generally capable of reaching easily accessible branches). The cheetah, however, achieves by far the fastest land speed of any living animal—between 112 and 120 km/h (70 and 75 mph) in short bursts covering distances up to 500 m (1,600 ft), and has the ability to accelerate from 0 to over 100 km/h (62 mph) in three seconds. The cheetah's chest is deep and its waist is narrow. The coarse, short fur of the cheetah is tan with round black spots measuring from 2 to 3 cm (0.79 to 1.2 in) across, affording it some camouflage while hunting. There are no spots on its white underside, but the tail has spots, which merge to form four to six dark rings at the end. The tail usually ends in a bushy white tuft. The cheetah has a small head with high-set eyes. Black "tear marks" running from the corner of its eyes down the sides of the nose to its mouth keep sunlight out of its eyes and aid in hunting and seeing long distances. Although it can reach high speeds, its body cannot stand long distance running, because it is more suited to short bursts of speed. The adult cheetah weighs from 35 to 72 kg (77 to 160 lb). Its total head-and-body length is from 110 to 150 cm (43 to 59 in), while the tail can measure 60 to 84 cm (24 to 33 in) in length. Cheetahs are 66 to 94 cm (26 to 37 in) tall at the shoulder. Males tend to be slightly larger than females and have slightly bigger heads, but there is not a great variation in cheetah sizes and it is difficult to tell males and females apart by appearance alone. Compared to a similarly sized leopard, the cheetah is generally shorter-bodied, but is longer tailed and taller (it averages about 90 cm (35 in) tall) and so it appears more streamlined.

Posted Image

Grey Wolf - Canis lupus
The Grey Wolf (Canis lupus ) is the largest wild canid, males averaging between 70 and 110 pounds depending on subspecies. The Wolf has a specialized body that has made it one of the world's most efficient hunters. Its powerful neck is a very important adaptation: it has to be strong to support the wolf's large head and is crucial for bringing down prey. The skull is 31cm (12 inches) long and is armed with an impressive array of large canines and carnassial teeth which, when coupled with huge jaw muscles that are evident from the large sagittal crest and wide zygomatic arches, give it an incredible biteforce that is strong enough to break the bones of prey and even crack the femur of moose. Wolves primarily feed on medium to large sized ungulates (up to the size of bison 10–15 times larger than themselves), though they are not fussy eaters. Medium and small sized animals that may supplement the diet of wolves include marmots, beaver, hares, badgers, foxes, weasels, ground squirrels, mice, hamsters, voles and other rodents, as well as insectivores.

Posted Image

___________________________________________________________________________________

zombie
Mar 13 2012, 07:30 AM
gray wolf - cheetah
Edited by Taipan, Aug 20 2012, 08:42 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Grey wolf wins IMO. Cheetahs aren't very strong and their un-retractable claws would probably be a disadvantage as it would blunt them. The grey wolf has stood up to bears in packs while cheetahs get scared by baboons. However this is just 5 specimens but wolf takes this 7/10.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can not see how the cheetah would have much of a chance.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think at parity saying 45-50 kg wolf would win 70/30.

1futuremarine1
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
8 - 9/10 Wolf.
Cheetahs are superb hunters, but not fighters. They have a extremely light build, thin and light weight bones, and non-retactable claws.
Wolves are powerful and have a dangerous bite. However they are limited by their relatively inflexiable build and bone structure.

A grey wolf is stronger, better armed, more combative, more experienced, and larger than a Cheetah would be. So I believe that while this is a complete mismatch, I would recommend pitting a cheetah up against a smaller species of wolf than the large Grey wolf specie.

P.S.
I may be wrong. But when a cheetah was pitted against a man on the previous forum, I believe the man won more votes. I do know that many gave a man a decent chance against a cheetah (whether right or wrong). On the other hand, most on this forum (and myself included to some extent) wouldn't give a man a very good chance at surviving a fight against a grey wolf. So while that doesn't necessarily mean that the wolf would have an advantage against a cheetah, it does help visiaulize where these animals are ranked (for combat against other animals) here on the forum.

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Wolf would win here. It's better built and more aggressive. It also has stronger jaws.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
I normally vote for felines over canines due to having better weaponry, but this time I vote Wolf.

zombie
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
my two favrite animals, cheetah is bigger but wolf has better bite. A tough call

zombie
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Tigerkid
Mar 13 2012, 06:39 PM
Grey wolf wins IMO. Cheetahs aren't very strong and their un-retractable claws would probably be a disadvantage as it would blunt them. The grey wolf has stood up to bears in packs while cheetahs get scared by baboons. However this is just 5 specimens but wolf takes this 7/10.
Tigerkid, wolfs run away from wolverines but that doesnt meen thay would lose, bears run from house cats same thing. animals dont want to fight if theres no reason.

Veli
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
cheetah has 4 votes maybe people who voted for feline could give some arguments why they voted for cheetah

Cat
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
zombie
Mar 14 2012, 01:46 AM
Tigerkid
Tigerkid, wolfs run away from wolverines but that doesnt meen thay would lose, bears run from house cats same thing. animals dont want to fight if theres no reason.
I think the cheetah needs a huge weight advantage to take this fight.

Btw, very impressive display from the female leopard in this video, facing a huge troop of baboons as big as she. It shows that when cats have high stakes at play, they are not skittish at all as some ppl think.

Icestorm
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Honestly, I'd back a big GSD over a cheetah.

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
zombie
Mar 14 2012, 01:46 AM
Tigerkid
But there were 2 babbons and 5 cheetahs.

zombie
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
cheetah are not such weak animals like people think, they tackle antelope larger then themselves and dont fall apart doing so. Cheetah has 10-15 kg advantage over european wolf. i think it can win if bigger. equal sizes, I agree wolf wins.

mohamad
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
i shoked from this result when i see 10 votes for wolf... cheetah is bigger , faster , longer and larger.in same time wolf have a powerful teeths but it is the only weapon so the two animals have the same only weapon. the teeths of wolf is longer but the weight of cheetah give him the advantage because in normaly case cheetah is bigger than wolf 10 or 15 kg.as a result 7,8/10 cheetah will wins

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply