Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi Active Multi Inactive
Add Reply
Who wins?
Grey Wolf 80 (62%)
Human (Strong male) 49 (38%)
Total Votes: 129
Grey Wolf v Human (Strong male)
Topic Started: Mar 16 2012, 09:34 PM (69,232 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Grey Wolf - Canis lupus
The Grey Wolf (Canis lupus ) is the largest wild canid, males averaging between 70 and 145 pounds (30 - 65 kg) depending on subspecies. The Wolf has a specialized body that has made it one of the world's most efficient hunters. Its powerful neck is a very important adaptation: it has to be strong to support the wolf's large head and is crucial for bringing down prey. The skull is 31cm (12 inches) long and is armed with an impressive array of large canines and carnassial teeth which, when coupled with huge jaw muscles that are evident from the large sagittal crest and wide zygomatic arches, give it an incredible biteforce that is strong enough to break the bones of prey and even crack the femur of moose. Wolves primarily feed on medium to large sized ungulates (up to the size of bison 10–15 times larger than themselves), though they are not fussy eaters. Medium and small sized animals that may supplement the diet of wolves include marmots, beaver, hares, badgers, foxes, weasels, ground squirrels, mice, hamsters, voles and other rodents, as well as insectivores.

Posted Image

Human (Strong Male) - Homo sapiens
Humans (known taxonomically as Homo sapiens, Latin for "wise man" or "knowing man") are the only living species in the Homo genus. Anatomically modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago. Humans have a highly developed brain and are capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and problem solving. This mental capability, combined with an erect body carriage that frees the hands for manipulating objects, has allowed humans to make far greater use of tools than any other living species on Earth. Human body types vary substantially. Although body size is largely determined by genes, it is also significantly influenced by environmental factors such as diet and exercise. The average height of an adult human is about 1.5 to 1.8 m (5 to 6 feet) tall, although this varies significantly from place to place and depending on ethnic origin. The average mass of an adult human is 54–64 kg (120–140 lbs) for females and 76–83 kg (168–183 lbs) for males. Weight can also vary greatly (e.g. obesity). Unlike most other primates, humans are capable of fully bipedal locomotion, thus leaving their arms available for manipulating objects using their hands, aided especially by opposable thumbs.

Posted Image
(I'll change it later ;) )

Gregoire
Mar 15 2012, 10:53 PM
alpha male Grey Wolf vs strong human 1,9m 100 kg.
Edited by Taipan, Dec 28 2014, 01:42 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Easy win for the Wolf. At the end. All I see is a dead man mauled to death.

kuri
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
i think a skilled human can kill a wolf.
There are several reports of human killed wolves with bare hands.
If a strong human is able to control the head of a wolf, he would win.

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
A strong, healthy human who doesn't panic should take this.

Veli
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
kuri
Mar 16 2012, 10:53 PM
really ? i had only heard of a man armed with a knife killing starving wolf. Not to be cocky or anything but I'd honestly like to see such reports.

populator135
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Freak insidences aside, the wolf wins.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
vodmeister
Mar 17 2012, 03:47 AM
DinosaurMichael
Mar 16 2012, 09:48 PM
This.
Humans are very weak and pathetically poor armed when compared to wild animals.
All we really have, is a brain and hands.
A 150 pound Alpha male Wolf would most certainly beat a 220 pound human.
Agreed.

SausageDog
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
If you take a strong male man and a strong male wolf I don´t know. You´d probably need a 220lbs+ guy (pure muscles, experience in martial arts) to beat a big male northern wolf.

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Average male would be enough IMO
The Wolf doesn't have anything to kill a human besides its jaws, as long that the human can avoid the jaws, he will win.
Edited by Megafelis Fatalis, Mar 17 2012, 04:42 AM.

TheWho
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
vodmeister
Mar 17 2012, 03:47 AM
DinosaurMichael
Mar 16 2012, 09:48 PM
This.
Humans are very weak and pathetically poor armed when compared to wild animals.
All we really have, is a brain and hands.
A 150 pound Alpha male Wolf would most certainly beat a 220 pound human.

absolutely false:
Quote:

Taking a comparative view we find that, making necessary allowances for difference in stature and amount of cross-section of muscle in proportion to body weight, man compares favorably with many, probably with most, other animals. We rank considerably above Ungulata and the oft-cited strengths of the beetle and ant, when duly corrected as just indicated, appear to be materially less than our own. Probably cross section for cross section of muscle man stands materially above the bulk of animal species. The animals out-ranking him it would seem are the Carnivora, the other primates and such animals as the mole, etc.
It would be an experiment both interesting and valuable to test the relative strength of the Felidae and the chimpanzee and orang, in order to determine which is entitled to the rank of greatest strength in the animal world per unit area of muscle cross-section. The author has thought of doing so himself, but the practical difficulties are immense in the case of Felidae. Milo Hasting's statement is a true one that: "The cat tribe and man seldom if ever test their powers save in a manner in which weapons and not strength decide the issue."
The power of blow of paw of a lion or tiger might perhaps be measured with a specially constructed apparatus and the power of spring by an arrangement of a net attached to a dynamometer dropped over the beast in the act of springing, but, difficult as this would probably prove, homologizing the result with those of tests on the Primates bids fair to be a greater problem.

Observations on the Strength of the Chimpanzee and Its Implications
John E. Bauman
Journal of Mammalogy
Vol. 7, No. 1 (Feb., 1926), pp. 1-9

i would say that along with our incredible (explosive) strength, the degree of dexterity, flexibility, close quarter agility we have and the multiple prehensilities we possess makes us one of the most physically gifted species in the animal kingdom..

as for this fight.. as usual, we have ways to win either through the rapid fire infliction of massive blunt trauma on vulnerable areas such as the exposed ribs, throat, spine etc etc. or through blood chokes or some forms of compression and joint locks to rupture/damage muscle tendons and break bones..

in regards to the latter style of attack of joint locks, i finally have a clearer picture as to their potential application against wild animals.

a joint is a joint regardless of what animal it belongs to.. it is merely the location at which two bones make contact.

there will always be a direction to bend it so as to move it past the normal range of motion thereby destroying the joint itself and the muscles surrounding it effectively making the limb useless.. so because a joint is a joint, the manipulation and leveraging of the structure to disable it doesn't change.

what is different is merely the shape of body attached to the joint. therefore in trying to adapt the current form of joints used on humans to that of animals it is merely a matter of different positioning and slight variance to the basic stance in order to accommodate for the different body shape of the animal. but once the positioning is acquired the mechanics involved in the manipulation of the joint will be no different. at the end of the day if you have the misfortune of being attacked by a wild animal and you are a powerful grappler, if the animal gives you it's arm you just have to be creative in trying to position yourself so the ability to leverage and manipulate the joint past it's normal range of motion is there.

Edited by TheWho, Mar 17 2012, 08:37 AM.

Arctodus Simus
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
A man in Russia killed a 45 kilo wolf with his bare hands not long ago... :P Apparently he pushed his hand down its throat and the wolf couldn't breath.

kuri
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Veli
Mar 16 2012, 11:09 PM
kuri
really ? i had only heard of a man armed with a knife killing starving wolf. Not to be cocky or anything but I'd honestly like to see such reports.
translate.google.com

english -- russian

e.g. "man killed wolf bare hands"

--->Russian Text in Google

Klick on Translate HTML
my trick for finding new reports
Edited by kuri, Mar 17 2012, 09:25 AM.

FireEel
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
In Soviet Russia, man kills wolf!

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
kuri
Mar 17 2012, 09:24 AM
Veli
Mar 16 2012, 11:09 PM
kuri
translate.google.com

english -- russian

e.g. "man killed wolf bare hands"

--->Russian Text in Google

Klick on Translate HTML
my trick for finding new reports
lol probably was wearing a tracksuit and smoking a cig too.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think muscled human take it 60/40 if without panic.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply