Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Pit Bull Terrier v Wolverine
Topic Started: Mar 19 2012, 08:47 PM (17,434 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

American Pit Bull Terrier
The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a medium-sized, solidly built, short haired dog whose early ancestors came from England and Ireland. It is a member of the molosser breed group. The American Pit Bull diverges in appearance from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, having fewer bulldog traits in the face and body. The American Pit Bull is medium sized, having a short coat and smooth well-defined muscle structure, but should never appear bulky or muscle-bound. Its eyes are round to almond shaped, and its ears are small to medium in length and can be natural or cropped. The tail is slightly thick and tapers to a point. The coat is glossy, smooth, short, and slightly stiff and can be any color except merle. The breed ranges from a height of about 17 to 22 in (43 to 56 cm) at shoulders, and weighs between 30 and 78 lb (14 and 35 kg) with the most common being between 35 - 55 pounds (16-25 kg.), in fact the original APBT's were between 20 - 40 pounds (9-18 kg.) and were bred small for their main purpose, fighting.

Posted Image

Wolverine - Gulo gulo
The Wolverine is a stocky and muscular animal, considered carnivorous but known on occasion to eat plant material. It has glossy brown hair with stripes of yellow along the sides. The fur is long and dense and does not retain much water, making it very resistant to frost in the wolverine's cold habitat (this has led to some popularity amongst hunters and trappers for its use as a lining in jackets and parkas). The adult Wolverine is about the size of a medium dog, with a length in the usual range of 65-87 cm (25-34 inches), a tail of 17-26 cm (7-10 inches), and weight of 10-22 kg (22-45 lb). Males of the species are as much as 30 percent larger than the females. In appearance the Wolverine resembles a small bear with a long tail. It has been known to give off a very strong, extremely unpleasant odor, giving rise to the nicknames "skunk bear" and "nasty cat."

Posted Image

Edited by Taipan, Mar 11 2014, 07:12 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gregoire
Apr 5 2012, 08:48 PM
Vita
Apr 5 2012, 04:15 PM
For the record, a hog hunting pitbull is typically over 65 pounds but normally no more than 85. Such boar dogs would obviously destroy an animal like a wolverine with such a size advantage. Larger pitbulls also bite that much harder. A 80 pound pitbull could probably bite a few hundred pounds more than 45 pound APBT. This dog is 41 pounds conditioned, probably 46 pounds or so on the chain.

Posted Image
Posted Image

At 40 or so pounds, this dog could give many similar sized animals hell, regardless if the owner is observing.

I never knew wolverines were known for their hunting and killing ability, in addition to agility (not like it matters.) I find it interesting why you'd bring up agility when it is OBVIOUS the APBT is superior in athletic ability.

Probably should just stick to your ?0/?0 ratios that you do, G.

With significant weight advantage pitbull takes wolverine, but at parity - no. Obvious? In durability,agility, weapony - wolverine is superior.
Pitbulls need the owner near it to give the problem to wild animal.
How is the wolverine more agile than a longer limbed canid?

Icestorm
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I think human presence can effect the outcome of some match-ups where domestic dogs are involved, as well as the respective performances of the animals involved. The dog's performance won't usually be affected, though. I imagine livestock guardians and herding dogs are the ones that would benefit more from the presence of their owners (with LGDs it is documented, actually). Possibly protection dogs as well.

It is more likely that the wild animal would under-perform in the presence of humans since it may be uncomfortable in our presence or regard challenging us as futile and seek to escape or submit in the hope of living to fight another day rather than giving the fight its all. That's not a given, though, and I think it would be fairly obvious if human presence was a factor in any given encounter. If we're just speculating, like we usually do, there's really no reason to consider it.

As for this fight, I think the dog would win conistently, if pyrrically. Wolverines do have nasty claws, but they don't seem to have anywhere near the grappling ability that cats and bears do. The primary weapon for both animals would be its jaws, where the wolverine is severely outclassed by the dog. If the wolverine got underneath the dog it could rake it pretty bad with those claws, but I don't see it winning unless it shreds something vital (and I mean really vital). If the dog managed to grab the wolverine by the head then its over.

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gato Gordo
Apr 3 2012, 04:56 PM
Pit bull takes this match with relative ease (it's way larger than the wolverine), though it would end up all scratched. Besides the tales from old time hunters/trappers, there is no evidence that wolverines are so tenacious and relentless in a fight scenario or that they are so hard to kill. Even the contention that they bully larger predators away from their kills is questionable, as all modern studies reveal that they visit carcasses when the predators are away. A better match would be gulo vs a staffie at parity around 15 kg, resulting in a scenario close to a 50/50.
Good post Gato. I agree. A small apbt or sbt at 15kg vs 15kg wolverine, would be close. It's at both breeds lower range, but still.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Apr 5 2012, 08:55 PM
Gregoire
Apr 5 2012, 08:51 PM
Amphicyon
Apr 5 2012, 07:51 PM
Gregoire
Apr 5 2012, 02:35 PM
Amphicyon
Apr 5 2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah I know I'm sick of reading his bs again.
You've made all the claims mate
Wolverine has greater durability
Wolverine is more agile
Wolverine is a better killer etc
Then you expect me to provide sources to disprove this. I used logic and common sense too but when it comes down to it, the burden of proof is on you because you made the claim and to date you still haven't provided a shred of evidence to support your first claim that being a wild animal is an advantage in these fights.

No, the burden of proof is on you because you give the ridiculous statement about domestic dogs and defence it without any avidence of proof. Its only your claim. You claim is that wild animals dont have advantage. Proove it.
I already showed that to be a load of bs.
Not only do domestic animals successfully reintegrate into new environments, but they outcompete local species who have evolved there for centuries. These feral animals obviously retain their killing instincts, even after 1 generation of independence.
Once more you still have nothing to support your claims.

Ypu already show nothing. Which animals reintegrate? The link,the evidence of this claim,please. Its only your words. You claims without evidence. Domestic animals usually CANNOT outcompete the wild species.
Do you really need me to provide you a link that feral cats and dogs exist?

I need you to provide that these animals can hunt not worse than wild animals.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Vita
Apr 6 2012, 02:55 AM
Gregoire
Vita
For the record, a hog hunting pitbull is typically over 65 pounds but normally no more than 85. Such boar dogs would obviously destroy an animal like a wolverine with such a size advantage. Larger pitbulls also bite that much harder. A 80 pound pitbull could probably bite a few hundred pounds more than 45 pound APBT. This dog is 41 pounds conditioned, probably 46 pounds or so on the chain.

Posted Image
Posted Image

At 40 or so pounds, this dog could give many similar sized animals hell, regardless if the owner is observing.

I never knew wolverines were known for their hunting and killing ability, in addition to agility (not like it matters.) I find it interesting why you'd bring up agility when it is OBVIOUS the APBT is superior in athletic ability.

With significant weight advantage pitbull takes wolverine, but at parity - no. Obvious? In durability,agility, weapony - wolverine is superior.

Agility - its not about longer limbs.

Bandog
Member Avatar
Everything else is just a dog.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Info on feral dogs hunting and killing.
http://www.leadingsheep.com.au/tracksandtraps/Traps%20to%20Trapping/T2T%20Sect%201_7b.pdf

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Apr 6 2012, 03:10 PM

And its comparable to wild animals hunting? For feral dogs its imressive, but wild animals in another league.
Ana wild dogs didnt = ferale dogs.

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gregoire
Apr 6 2012, 03:27 PM
Amphicyon

And its comparable to wild animals hunting? For feral dogs its imressive, but wild animals in another league.
These dogs are feral, the article is Australian. The only two large dogs here are feral dogs and dingoes which outcompeted thylacines, hastening their extinction from the mainland.
There is also proof that they have excellent killing instincts, targeting the throat.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Apr 6 2012, 03:34 PM
Gregoire
Amphicyon

These dogs are feral, the article is Australian. The only two large dogs here are feral dogs and dingoes which outcompeted thylacines, hastening their extinction from the mainland.
There is also proof that they have excellent killing instincts, targeting the throat.

Thylacines arent impressive carnivores. I think its article about dingoes. I didnt find there is about feral dogs ("wild dogs" isnt the same).
Excellent for feral - maybe. But for wild animals its usually case.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gregoire
Apr 6 2012, 02:55 PM
Vita
Gregoire
Vita

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tell me more about how the wolverine is superior in regards to killing instinct and agility. (Durability is a given.)

Posted Image

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gregoire
Apr 6 2012, 04:41 PM
Amphicyon
Apr 6 2012, 03:34 PM
Gregoire
Amphicyon

Thylacines arent impressive carnivores. I think its article about dingoes. I didnt find there is about feral dogs ("wild dogs" isnt the same).
Excellent for feral - maybe. But for wild animals its usually case.
"Dingoes often kill by biting the throat and adjust their hunting strategies to suit circumstances. For bigger prey, due to their strength and potential danger, two or more individuals are needed. Such group formations are unnecessary when hunting rabbits or other small prey."

Fleming, Peter; Laurie Corbett, Robert Harden, Peter Thomson (2001). Managing the Impacts of Dingoes and Other Wild Dogs. Commonwealth of Australia: Bureau of Rural Sciences.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Vita
Apr 6 2012, 04:49 PM
Gregoire
Vita
Gregoire
Vita

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tell me more about how the wolverine is superior in regards to killing instinct and agility. (Durability is a given.)

Posted Image

Killing instinct is discussed before - wild animal vs domestic animal. Agility is superior obviously, due to pitbull longer limbs for example. Mustelidae usually are more agile than canidae.

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gregoire
Apr 6 2012, 06:43 PM
Vita
Gregoire
Vita
Gregoire
Vita

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Killing instinct is discussed before - wild animal vs domestic animal. Agility is superior obviously, due to pitbull longer limbs for example. Mustelidae usually are more agile than canidae.
Yes and we established that what you were saying about killing instinct was a load of crap.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Amphicyon
Apr 6 2012, 07:16 PM
Gregoire
Apr 6 2012, 06:43 PM
Vita
Gregoire
Vita
Gregoire
Vita

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes and we established that what you were saying about killing instinct was a load of crap.

:) Poor domestic dog fan. Lack of arguments - offence)

Rodentsofunusualsize
Member Avatar
cogcaptainduck
[ *  *  * ]
ADMIN - insults deleted. 2 day suspension.
Edited by Taipan, Apr 7 2012, 04:38 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply