Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Should we try to exterminate ticks off the face of the earth??
Yes they are the most worthless and despicable creature on the planet 23 (76.7%)
5 (16.7%)
No it is to difficult to do 2 (6.7%)
Total Votes: 30
Snake with Ticks
Topic Started: Apr 4 2012, 05:29 PM (10,715 Views)
tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Found this on another forum

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Posted Image

Posted Image

Their must be some way to exterminate these parasitic monsters....We have to have the technology to do it....

Edited by tigerburningbright, Apr 4 2012, 05:29 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well atleast we know what poll option that snake would vote for.....

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's nasty. I feel really bad for the snake. Ewww. I would hate to have all those disgusting parasites on my head.

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wolf Eagle
Apr 6 2012, 11:25 PM
That's nasty. I feel really bad for the snake. Ewww. I would hate to have all those disgusting parasites on my head.
Yeah I know....Thank god for our monkey hands!!!!

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^ I know right!!

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here's another snake that got fucked up by ticks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's Jesus!!!!

Posted Image

Wild
Member Avatar
Tell 'em that you know me when you runnin' through Atlanta
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
those ticks arem huge they must have been feeding for a while. Yes ticks are horrible and disgusting but they're all part of nature. Wiping them out wouldn't be good for some ecosystems.

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I agree they should be eradicated along with Mosquitoes & Fleas although it would be very difficult, but to animal118 I doubt wiping out Ticks would cause ecosystems to collapse.

Ursus arctos
Member Avatar

They make their living by draining energy (and biomass) from the charismatic wildlife we admire, relocating it mostly to disgusting species (the ticks/mosquitoes) but also to whatever predators they may have.

I'd much rather have more larger animal biomass!
Not to mention how many of those species serve as vectors for disease.

However, we unfortunately do not have the technology right now.
Poisons that are far more lethal to some types of animals than to others aren't easy to come by-and as DDT showed even the very effective ones can end up having disastrous impacts on the charismatic species nonetheless.
I heard about a program that was designed which can apparently identify flying mosquitoes (or maybe just the species that transmit malaria) and then shoot them with a laser. It has the advantage of not killing harmless species (like random beetles) which is the problem with bug zappers. Would be cool to see if this works out.

Too bad older snakes don't shed their skin that often-it may be a good way to remove them?

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ursus arctos
Apr 23 2012, 05:43 PM
They make their living by draining energy (and biomass) from the charismatic wildlife we admire, relocating it mostly to disgusting species (the ticks/mosquitoes) but also to whatever predators they may have.

Poisons that are far more lethal to some types of animals than to others aren't easy to come by-and as DDT showed even the very effective ones can end up having disastrous impacts on the charismatic species nonetheless.
I heard about a program that was designed which can apparently identify flying mosquitoes (or maybe just the species that transmit malaria) and then shoot them with a laser. It has the advantage of not killing harmless species (like random beetles) which is the problem with bug zappers. Would be cool to see if this works out.

Too bad older snakes don't shed their skin that often-it may be a good way to remove them?
Do you see ticks alot in Texas Ursus? They are terrible here in Virginia and they were terrible in New Jersey. Are they a problem in Texas?

Yeah but the thing that annoys me especially about ticks is...

From a Yale professor

"We don't seem to have any natural allies in tick control. It's not well known what kind of animal eats ticks, though the larvae are vulnerable to fungi"

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/green_room/2008/06/a_ticks_life.2.html

Apparently barely anything eats them in North America!!! God...nothing ruins a great hike like these stupid useless parasites. I have this great National Park 20 minutes away from me with Black Bears...Reptiles etc and every-time I go the only animal I ever see are these stupid hellspawns (I guess you would have to go off the trails to see Bear and ticks are EVERYWHERE when you go off the path) I already pulled 3 off of me when I went the other day and I walked directly down the main path...Grrrrrrr and 1 of them (I think) was the bad Deer Tick which spreads Lyme

Thats another good thing about Alaska...Apparently their is only like 1 type of tick and it only goes for Rabbits and small Hares (some ticks only feed on 1 specific animal while others feed on many different kinds of animals like the evil Deer Tick) so you can hike in peace without the threat...and I asked the Katmai National Park guy on twitter and he said he's never seen a tick in 10 years that he's worked at the park....So you got Alaska, Northern Canada, Northern Russia and other very cold places and also the South Island of New Zealand but other than that they are pretty much everywhere.

I will remember to ask Brad Joseph if he's ever seen any being as he guides in Katmai and other places...I hope the answer is no!!!!

As for Mosquitos yea they are horribly annoying but I don't know their is something about Ticks that freaks me out much more than Mosquitos...Atleast Mosquitos just bite you and then go away....Damn Ticks bite and then stay on you for days! Creepy shit!!!

But Mosquitos are clearly much more dangerous animals than Ticks (in the 3rd world for sure) because they are much much harder to avoid and are alot better vectors for disease...You can pretty much avoid ticks if you want to...obviously not the case for Mosquitos and the diseases that they transmit are really really nasty.
Edited by tigerburningbright, Apr 23 2012, 06:52 PM.

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ursus arctos
Apr 23 2012, 05:43 PM

Yea I don't think its actullay possible to exterminate them (A big female tick apparently can have thousands of eggs  :o  :o ) ....And one thing I noticed is that these types of animals seem to be VERY resistant to poisons/toxins etc....much more than a big majestic mammal like a Bear or Big Cat....If their is anything that could survive a nasty poison it would be an animal like a Tick or a Mosquito

Rhinos, Tigers, Gorillas etc etc all the cool useful majestic animals are going extinct but it's like the Golden Age for these damn disgusting creatures...Grrr I hate this world! realmad realmad

By the way I think I just literally threw up in my mouth after watching this video..Fuck these things!!!!!!!!!!!Why the hell can't they be endangered.

Edited by tigerburningbright, Apr 23 2012, 07:23 PM.

Ursus arctos
Member Avatar

I have not seen many at all in Texas-never found one on me in this state (but my brother had one once).

Our pets however have them more often, and it is not uncommon that we find one on them.
The worst was when a tick was inside a horses ear-it made the entire area extremely sensitive so that it wouldn't let anyone touch it. A vet was needed to get the thing out.

As for poisons, there are certainly some that ticks and mosquitoes are more sensitive to than the majestic mammals. We are distantly enough related that there are a lot of differences between us-insecticides are all poisons that at these differences and thus are much less dangerous to vertebrates (but high levels are often still bad).
How to only nuke certain species is hard (and not all the earthworms, beetles, etc).

Perhaps a better idea is this. There must already be some virus species that infect them (and not their hosts)?

Funding is, however, another major obstacle.
Edited by Ursus arctos, Apr 24 2012, 02:02 AM.

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Freakin disgusting video! Yuck!!!! Why the hell do these bastards exist???!!

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wolf Eagle
Apr 27 2012, 06:18 AM
Freakin disgusting video! Yuck!!!! Why the hell do these bastards exist???!!
Because God loves us!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Sorry Ursus for not responding, I've been very busy with finals but I will reply to you when I can

Wild
Member Avatar
Tell 'em that you know me when you runnin' through Atlanta
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Is there anything at all that suggest ticks are some important part of the ecosystem? If not then I agree to kill those little blood suckers

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Video & Image Gallery · Next Topic »
Add Reply