Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
2 Tibetan Mastiffs 3 (10.3%)
Wild Boar 26 (89.7%)
Total Votes: 29
2 Tibetan Mastiffs v Wild Boar
Topic Started: May 6 2012, 06:31 PM (4,170 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

2 Tibetan Mastiffs
The Tibetan Mastiff (Do-khyi) is an ancient breed and type of domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) originating with nomadic cultures of Central Asia. The Tibetan Mastiff also known as Do-khyi (variously translated as "home guard", "door guard", "dog which may be tied", "dog which may be kept"), reflects its use as a guardian of herds, flocks, tents, villages, monasteries, and palaces, much as the old English ban-dog (also meaning tied dog) was a dog tied outside the home as a guardian. The Tibetan Mastiff is an outstanding sheepdog and is ferocious against wolves or leopards that try to approach its flock. It is also an excellent guard of both entire villages and isolated houses. The Tibetan Mastiff comes to adulthood somewhat later than other breeds.
Height: 25-28 inches (61-71 cm.)
Weight: 140-170 pounds (64-78 kg.) Some European owners claim the dogs can weigh up to 220 pounds (99 kg.), but the vast majority of these dogs have a weigh that fall in the range stated above.

Posted Image

Wild Boar - Sus scrofa
Wild boar, also known as wild pig, (Sus scrofa) is a species of the pig genus Sus, part of the biological family Suidae. The species includes many subspecies. It is the wild ancestor of the domestic pig, an animal with which it freely hybridises. Wild boar are native across much of Northern and Central Europe, the Mediterranean Region (including North Africa's Atlas Mountains) and much of Asia as far south as Indonesia. dult boars measure 90–200 cm (35–79 in) in length, not counting a tail of 15–40 cm (5.9–16 in), and have a shoulder height of 55–110 cm (22–43 in). As a whole, their average weight is 50–90 kg (110–200 pounds), though boars show a great deal of weight variation within their geographical ranges.[9] In central Italy, their weight usually ranges from 80 to 100 kg (180 to 220 lb) while boars shot in Tuscany have been recorded to weigh up to 150 kg (331 lb). An unusually large French specimen shot in Negremont forest in Ardenne in 1999 weighed 227 kg (550 lb). Carpathian boars have been recorded to reach weights of 200 kg (441 lb). Romanian and Russian boars can reach weights of 300 kg (661 lb), while unconfirmed giants reported in early Russian hunting journals have reportedly weighed up to 320 kg (710 lb).

Posted Image

Gregoire

wild boar vs 2 tibetian mastiffs
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The dogs will wear the boar out and kill it eventually.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Dead dogs. The Boar will pretty much gore them both to death.

Bandog
Member Avatar
Everything else is just a dog.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The key factors for dogs outlasting the boar is endurance, agility and strength. The only thing the mastiffs have is the strength. They will lose puff and catch a tusk. The boar wins.

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Actually now i look at it yeah i think the boar will win, even bears and tigers have a hard time with these animals.

cidermaster
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes two very dead dogs,but i get the feeling they would soon leg it!

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think boar take it 55/45, but its close

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Are there really any cases of boars being KILLED (not by a hunter!) by canids?

Is the closest thing peccaries by bush dogs, if even that happens?

Boar should win this. You need a more agile dog to be able to jump in and out and tire the boar.

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sicilianu
May 7 2012, 03:20 AM

Boar should win this. You need a more agile dog to be able to jump in and out and tire the boar.
The largest boar I have heard of being killed by a lone hunting dog was 60kg. The dog was a bull arab bull mastiff mix. 2 bull Arabs would be able to kill a boar through accumulative damage though, they can go all day and one the boar loses its strength then they can just work their hold until it bleeds out.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, but a bull arab with no armor?

Lycaon
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sicilianu
May 7 2012, 03:20 AM

wolves have killed wild boar, which imo is closer than bushdog encounters.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wolves have killed boar? I haven't really heard of that happening. Could you provide a source?

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sicilianu
May 7 2012, 06:28 AM
Yes, but a bull arab with no armor?
Yes, armor is rarely used these days.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmm, seems like every picture of boar hunting involves dogs with armor....

Lycaon
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sicilianu
May 7 2012, 07:11 AM
Wolves have killed boar? I haven't really heard of that happening. Could you provide a source?
I read a wolf pictorial book and it showed a wolf with a wild boar kill. Honestly I doubt I will ever find it but I shall look for it again.

A pack of four wolves prey on a wild boar during a failed deer hunt
Posted Image

Wild boar is part of the wolf's diet
Posted Image
source :
Wolves of the World: Perspectives of Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation
By Fred H. Harrington

anyways reddhole posted this video awhile ago of two wolves hunting two wild boar.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: