Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Crocodile - Shark interactions
Topic Started: May 7 2012, 04:32 AM (22,465 Views)
GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Hello everyone:

For the longest time I have been interested in interactions/relationships between sharks and crocodilians. I want to know how the two kings of the water would treat each other if they encountered one another.

It doesnt matter of the kinds of interactions (fighting, preying on each other), but just seeing scientific accounts is what interests me most.

I have been scouring the internet in search of any documentation in this subject. I have been surprised at some of the information I was able to find, but at the same time I would like to find more clear-cut interactions between the two.

I will be posting the information I found on here, but I am also hoping other more knowledgeable posters can help me find some more cases as well.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
American Crocodile / Lemon Shark

I have found a PDF about the US navy trying to develop a shark repellent. What I find most interesting is that they mention lemon sharks sensing and avoiding the odors of crocodiles because they are potential predators:

Quote:

Perhaps the most encouraging area of shark repellency research is in the study of semiochemistry. This area of research was first proposed by Rasmussen & Schmidt (1992) who suggested that sharks may be chemically aware of the presence of potential danger by sensing the bodily secretions from potential predators. Semiochemicals found in the bodily secretions of predators may convey survival information to a shark and elicit rapid flight from an area that is potentially dangerous. Rasmussen & Schmidt (op. cit.) hypothesized that lemon sharks, especially juveniles,
inherently recognize chemical exudates produced by the American crocodile, Crocodylus acutus, a known predator of sharks

SOURCE: http://faculty.washington.edu/sisneros/Sisneros%20and%20Nelson%202001.pdf

Nile Crocodile / Bull Shark

I have found a couple of articles mentioning the Nile Crocodile as preying on Bull Sharks when they swim up rivers. Most of us know that Salties will take sharks, but its interesting to see niles exibit the same behavior:

Quote:

The bull shark is a carnivore. It eats fish, other sharks, rays and sea mammals including bottle-nosed and spotted dolphins, seabirds, mollusks and crustaceans. It is sometimes killed by dolphins and killer whales, but a mature bull shark has few wild predators willing to take it on. In the Zambezi River, the Nile crocodile has been known to attack and eat the bull shark.

Quote:

Adult bull sharks are unlikely to have any natural predators. Young bull sharks, however, can fall prey to large tiger sharks (Galeocerdo cuvier), sandbar sharks (Carcharhinus plumbeus), and other bull sharks. A crocodile in South Africa was also reported to have consumed a bull shark.

SOURCE: http://charlotte.floridaweekly.com/news/2010-06-24/Outdoors/Deadly_bull_shark_is_a_magnificent_hunted_creature.html
SOURCE: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/descript/bullshark/bullshark.htm

Saltwater Crocodile / Bull Shark

We all know these cases, but I'll post links to them anyways:

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=84173256109

Posted Image

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/monster-crocodile-gobbles-up-a-shark-in-kakadu-national-park/story-e6freuy9-1225883518880

Posted Image

Tiger Shark / Unknown Crocodile

There is mention of a tiger shark being found with a crocodile in its stomach contents, age and species of the crocodile unknowk (it may have been scavenged):

Quote:

The Tiger Shark has gained a reputation for its tendency to include very unorthodox elements in its diets. When studying the stomach content of Tiger Sharks, scientists have found very surprising objects, including a ladies pyjamas, a rubber tire, a roil of chicken wire, tar paper, a bad of potatoes, some shoes, a dog, a can of Spam, rags, bottles and a sack of coal. As mentioned above, the Tiger Shark is very opportunistic and will happily turn from hunter to scavenger when possible. When studying Tiger Sharks that inhabited an area were offal from slaughterhouses had been dumped, the scientists found parts of horses, cattle and sheep in the stomachs of the Tiger Sharks. A Tiger Shark captured off Durban in South Africa contained the head and forequarters of a crocodile.

SOURCE: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/sharkfish/tigershark.php
Edited by GreenDragon, May 7 2012, 04:44 AM.

TheROC
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I had never heard of that excerpt regarding lemon sharks, thank you very much for the link.

It seems bull shark interactions are common enough, but I've found next to no published material on tiger shark interactions, though I remember hearing anecdotes or what not from supposed experts that seemed to believe saltwater crocodiles prevail more often than not, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I read them.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting finds. I also hear that Tiger Sharks dominates Saltwater Crocodiles in Indonesia according to what Grey (Formely Ted) said on the old forum from this book.
Edited by DinosaurMichael, May 7 2012, 04:54 AM.

TheROC
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
He didn't say that, iirc, he simply said outcompete.

Grey
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Indeed, this was mentioned in one book not very old.

I doubt that Salties engage large Galeocerdo and certainly not a Carcharodon.

Grey
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TheROC
May 7 2012, 04:58 AM

Outcompeted but it seemsto me that the book said that Salties were "destroyed" by TS in coastal oceanic environment.

TheROC
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wish Scottwolverine still posted.

I remember he posted some old account a long time ago of a tiger shark saltwater crocodile fight, and the shark ended up swimming away from the fight, lost a fin I believe.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
TheROC
May 7 2012, 04:58 AM

Isn't dominating and outcompeting the same thing though?
Edited by DinosaurMichael, May 7 2012, 05:09 AM.

TheROC
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
No, the connotations are different.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
TheROC
May 7 2012, 05:11 AM
No, the connotations are different.
Oh okay. Thanks for correcting me then. I always thought it was the same thing.

GreenDragon
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the replies, I would be VERY interested in hearing about the case involving tiger sharks outcompeting salties in Indonesia (I have heard of this as well, but have been unable to find any info,

Anyways some more cases:

Saltwater Crocodile / Unknown Shark

Quote:

5.5m saltwater croc Brutus photographed on Adelaide River Jumping Croc Cruises

THIS 5.5m saltwater croc has given a boatload of tourists a moment they'll never forget.

And yes, it’s real, says photographer Katrina Bridgeford who took the picture on board Adelaide River Jumping Croc Cruises, the Northern Territory News reports.

Ms Bridgeford was on the cruise with her family when they came face to face with Brutus.

The huge saltwater crocodile, missing its right front leg after a run-in with a shark, is a favourite with tourists on the on the Adelaide River, just over 100km south of Darwin.

“I wasn't expecting anything like this. I couldn't believe how close it got to us. If you put your hand out, you would've touched it,” Ms Bridgeford told the Northern Territory News.

Jumping crocodile cruises are a major tourist attraction in the Territory with several operators providing their services along the croc-infested Adelaide River.

SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au/travel/australia/m-saltwater-croc-brutus-photographed-on-adelaide-river-jumping-croc-cruises/story-e6frfq89-1226092924868

And some fossil battles!:

Unknown Crocodile / Prehistoric Tiger Shark

SOURCE: http://scienceblogs.com/laelaps/2010/03/unique_fossils_record_ancient.php

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
GreenDragon
May 7 2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the replies, I would be VERY interested in hearing about the case involving tiger sharks outcompeting salties in Indonesia (I have heard of this as well, but have been unable to find any info,

Anyways some more cases:

Saltwater Crocodile / Unknown Shark

Quote:

5.5m saltwater croc Brutus photographed on Adelaide River Jumping Croc Cruises

THIS 5.5m saltwater croc has given a boatload of tourists a moment they'll never forget.

And yes, it’s real, says photographer Katrina Bridgeford who took the picture on board Adelaide River Jumping Croc Cruises, the Northern Territory News reports.

Ms Bridgeford was on the cruise with her family when they came face to face with Brutus.

The huge saltwater crocodile, missing its right front leg after a run-in with a shark, is a favourite with tourists on the on the Adelaide River, just over 100km south of Darwin.

“I wasn't expecting anything like this. I couldn't believe how close it got to us. If you put your hand out, you would've touched it,” Ms Bridgeford told the Northern Territory News.

Jumping crocodile cruises are a major tourist attraction in the Territory with several operators providing their services along the croc-infested Adelaide River.

SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au/travel/australia/m-saltwater-croc-brutus-photographed-on-adelaide-river-jumping-croc-cruises/story-e6frfq89-1226092924868

And some fossil battles!:

Unknown Crocodile / Prehistoric Tiger Shark

SOURCE: http://scienceblogs.com/laelaps/2010/03/unique_fossils_record_ancient.php
Well like Grey said. It's been only said in this book he showed me on the old forum. If you like. I could ask him what book it was again.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Size matters in this debate. Notice the small sharks that are killed. I imagine that adults of each species are content to not interfere with each others movements.

Drift
Member Avatar
High Spined Lizard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Face to face,IMO sharks would most likely loose more than they would win against their armored counterpart.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoological Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply