Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Smilodon populator v Inostrancevia
Topic Started: May 12 2012, 06:51 PM (6,568 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Smilodon populator
Smilodon, often called a saber-toothed cat or wrongly a saber-toothed tiger, is an extinct genus of machairodonts. This saber-toothed cat was endemic to North America and South America, living from near the beginning through the very end of the Pleistocene epoch (2.5 mya—10,000 years ago). Smilodon populator ("Smilodon the Devastator"), 1 million-10,000 years ago; occurred in the eastern parts of South America and was the largest species of all machairodonts. It was much larger than its cousins, S. fatalis and S. gracilis, possessing a massive chest and front legs, and is the largest known variety of saber-toothed cat. It was more than 1.40 m (55 in) high at the shoulder, 2.6 m (100 in) long on average and had a 30 cm (12 in) tail. Smilodon populator was substantially heavier and larger than any extant felid, with a body mass range of 220–360 kg. Particularly large specimens of S. populator almost certainly exceeded 400 kg in body mass. Its upper canines reached 30 cm (12 in) and protruded up to 17 cm (6.7 in) out of the upper jaw. Genetic evidence suggests that Smilodon populator and other members of the genus diverged from the main lineage of modern cats (subfamily Felinae) around 14-18 million years ago.

Posted Image

Inostrancevia alexandri
Inostrancevia is a genus of gorgonopsid therapsid found in Sokolki, on the Smaller Northern Dvina River near Kotlas in Arkhangelsk Oblast, Russia. The animal lived 251 million years ago during the Late Permian. The species I. alexandri is known from an almost complete skeleton missing some minor rib and vertebrae attachments. t was the largest of the gorgonopsids, weighing 500-1000 pounds and measuring 4.3m long (about the size of a large bear). It's skull measured 45 cm long and it had two 12cm long saber teeth that it used to dispatch enemies and prey. As with all other gorgonopsid species, it was a quadruped that had an upright posture of 1-4.3 metres long (as large as a bear), with a bone structure characteristic of strong muscle attachments. The skull of 45 cm in length contained a smaller eye socket and larger temporal opening than other less advanced therapsids, like Biarmosuchus tener. The teeth were quite large, the upper palate containing 6 large incisors, 2 large canines and 10 smaller back teeth and the mandible contained 6 large incisors and 8 smaller incisors.

Posted Image

Rai'Drik

Inostrancevia vs. Smilodon fatalis

I used Populator for more even weights.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Black Ice
Member Avatar
It Bites Worse Than It Barks
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Actually I didnt think that pic was that old. Also I looked it up and yea they have some unconfirmed larger gorgonopsid skulls too which is where I got that estimate from. But it was from a gorgonopsid even larger than inostrancevia

linnaeus1758
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Prehistoric Cat
Jul 27 2012, 12:43 AM
linnaeus1758
Jul 27 2012, 12:39 AM
But i guess that inostrancevia has more resistant and thick skin, being a reptile.
Mammal like Reptile
And we don't know if it had scales, fur or naked skin
But technically they were reptiles... Or not? mammals "descended" from them according to scientists...
Edited by linnaeus1758, Jul 28 2012, 02:13 PM.

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
smilodon win more muscular,agility,paws
gorgonipsians size avantage

Dino Master
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
I voted for Inostrancevia, but I believe it would be a very close fight.

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gorgonopsians not only have the advantage of size

Arovinrac
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Size comparison between Inostrancevia and Smilodon Populator
Edited by Arovinrac, Nov 19 2012, 06:52 AM.

Megafelis Fatalis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
08pateldan
Nov 19 2012, 06:50 AM
Posted Image
First, Inostrancevia skull wasn't around 70 cm. Second, Smilodon's skull pic is inaccurate. Third, Inostrancevia's Reconstruction is Inaccurate
Posted Image

blaze
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
linnaeus1758
Jul 28 2012, 02:12 PM
Prehistoric Cat
linnaeus1758
But i guess that inostrancevia has more resistant and thick skin, being a reptile.
Mammal like Reptile
But technically they were reptiles... Or not? mammals "descended" from them according to scientists...
Not true, Synapsids (mammal-like "reptiles", mammals) and Sauropsids (reptiles, birds) are two separated branches of amniotes, the first amniotes, though reptile-like, were not "true" reptiles and didn't have scales, (scales are not skin by the way, they're like hair and feathers, reptiles do have a skin below them) which were a later development in sauropsids.
Synapsid before the development of hair probably had smooth salamander like naked skin, or maybe similar to this silkback bearded dragon

Posted Image

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Prehistoric Cat
Nov 20 2012, 12:27 AM
08pateldan
Nov 19 2012, 06:50 AM
Posted Image
First, Inostrancevia skull wasn't around 70 cm. Second, Smilodon's skull pic is inaccurate. Third, Inostrancevia's Reconstruction is Inaccurate
Posted Image
smilodon easly win

Ausar
Member Avatar
Deathless
Only Inostrancevia latifrons is a match for Smilodon populator. I know how well the machairodontine can grapple here, but I wonder if Inostrancevia can use its forelimbs too.

Posted Image

The forelimbs look muscular too, and I've seen some reconstructions with Inostrancevia grappling or clawing at prey, but I'm not sure.
Edited by Ausar, Apr 10 2014, 05:43 AM.

alikaren
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Inostrancevia is so overrated in this thread. Smilodon wins 80/20

Ausar
Member Avatar
Deathless
Could someone post a size comparison with Inostrancevia latifrons?

SpinoInWonderland
Member Avatar
The madness has come back...
Megafelis Fatalis
linnaeus1758
Mammal like Reptile
A reptile is any amniote that isn't a mammal or a bird.

And it most likely had naked skin.

Estemmnosuchus, the only non-mammal therapsid with skin impressions found as far, seem to indicate naked skin.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: