Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Leopard Seal v Tiger Shark
Topic Started: May 25 2012, 08:36 PM (5,876 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Leopard Seal - Hydrurga leptonyx
The leopard seal (Hydrurga leptonyx), also referred to as the sea leopard, is the second largest species of seal in the Antarctic (after the southern elephant seal). It is most common in the southern hemisphere along the coast of Antarctica and on most sub-Antarctic islands, but can also be found on the coasts of southern Australia, Tasmania, South Africa, New Zealand, Lord Howe Island, Tierra del Fuego, the Cook Islands, and the Atlantic coast of South America. It can live twenty-six years, possibly more. Orcas and large sharks are the only natural predators of leopard seals. The leopard seal is large and muscular, with a dark grey back and light grey on its stomach. Its throat is whitish with the black spots that give the seal its common name. Females are slightly larger than the males. The overall length of this seal is 2.4-3.5 m (7.9-11.7 ft) and weight is from 200 to 600 kilograms (440 to 1,300 lb). They are about the same length as the northern walrus but usually less than half the weight. Its front teeth are sharp like those of other carnivores, but its molars lock together in a way that allows them to sieve krill from the water, in the manner of the crabeater seal.The leopard seal is second only to the orca among Antarctica's top predators. Its canine teeth are 2.5 cm (1 in). It feeds on a wide variety of creatures. Smaller seals probably eat mostly krill, but also squid and fish. Larger leopard seals probably switch from krill to more substantial prey, including king, adelie, rockhopper, gentoo and emperor penguins, and less frequently, other seals such as the crabeater seal.

Posted Image

Tiger Shark - Galeocerdo cuvier
The tiger sharks, Galeocerdo cuvier, is a species of requiem shark and the only member of the genus Galeocerdo. Commonly known as sea tigers, tiger sharks are relatively large macropredators, capable of attaining a length of over 5 m (16 ft). It is found in many tropical and temperate waters, and is especially common around central Pacific islands. Its name derives from the dark stripes down its body which resemble a tiger's pattern and fade as the shark matures. The tiger shark is a solitary, mostly night-time hunter. Its diet involves a wide range of prey, including crustaceans, fish, seals, birds, smaller sharks, squid, turtles, sea snakes, and dolphins. One of the largest sharks living today, the tiger shark commonly attains a length of 3 to 4.2 m (9.8 to 13.8 ft) and weighs around 385–635 kilograms (849–1,400 lb). Sometimes a male tiger shark can grow up to 4.5 meters (14-15 feet long) and females to 5.5 meters (18 feet long). A tiger shark can sometimes rival a great white shark in size. The tiger shark can grow up to 14-20 feet long.

Posted Image

animal118

leopard seal vs tiger shark

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's another website:
http://ladywildlife.com/animals/tigershark.html

Wild
Member Avatar
Tell 'em that you know me when you runnin' through Atlanta
Tigerkid
May 26 2012, 05:42 PM
thanks yeah though the tiger has a weight advantage the seal is just too maneuverable for any shark.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:45 PM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 02:43 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 02:41 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 01:57 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:53 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 01:48 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:39 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 01:20 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:18 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 25 2012, 08:38 PM
Mismatch. Tiger Shark wins easily. I'd give the Leopard Seal is more of a match for a Bull Shark, but even then. I'd still favor the Shark.
Why is it a mismatch? The leopard seal seems a whole lot more agile and by the looks of it it could easily dodge the tiger sharks attacks. The seal could give the tiger shark repeated bites and kill it that way. How much does the average tiger shark even weigh?
Because the Tiger Shark on average is much bigger. A Leopard Seal is more around the Bull Shark's size
The average leopard seal is 882 lbs (400 kg) while an average bull shark is 290 lbs (130 kg). I still don't know the average weight of an adult tiger shark.
The average weight of Female Bull Sharks is 500 lbs. 290 lbs is probably the average weight for males, though it's possibly 300 lbs is their average as well.
No according to Wikipedia " Adult female bull sharks average 2.4 m (7.9 ft) long and typically weigh 130 kg (290 lb), whereas the slightly smaller adult male averages 2.25 m (7.4 ft) and 95 kg (210 lb)" Still don't know the average weight of a tiger shark.
Don't believe wikipedia all the time. Anyone can put stuff that is made up. Sources I normally see of Bull Sharks say that Females are 500 lbs, while the males are 290 lbs.
Well at least wikipedia lists its sources apparently they got those weights from this source: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/bullshark/bullshark.htm and this one: http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Cle/Cle_large.html
Well Elosha11 told me on the the Bengal Tiger vs Bull Shark thread and now I know that this is their average weights. So guess this fight isn't a mismatch then. I however still vote for the Tiger Shark.
I looked at some videos of tiger sharks on you tube they look a little sluggish. I see the seal out maneuvering one and maybe coming from the bottom and sinking its canines into its underbelly. The shark wouldn't be able to utilize those jaws so tit would be practically helpless, it would begin thrashing but that would only help the seal remove a chunk right out of it.
Well I still vote for it anyway and Tiger Sharks can be fast if they want to. They just don't show it.

theropod
Member Avatar
palaeontology, open source and survival enthusiast
The speed of Tiger sharks is totally underrated! At least, they are in their element in water and they certainly can be very fast. I agree, that A bullshark is a far better match for the seal.

Elosha11
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
The tiger shark is better at killing the leopard seal; the leopard seal is better at maneuvering and is still a formidable opponent with a powerful bite. But I'm not sure a full grown leopard seal will be able to kill a tiger shark. It could drive it away but it would have a hard time killing the shark. However, one good bite from the tiger shark would cripple or kill the seal instantaneously. Thus I support a tiger shark in a fight to the death.

Grey
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Galeocerdo all the way.

The seal could maybe outdrive the shark depending its motivation, but for a hungry Galeocerdo, the Seal would be just a meal.

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Friend of the fish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
the speed of a tiger shark is highly underrated
the tiger has a top speed of 20 mph http://www.speedofanimals.com/animals/tiger_shark?g=t
although i couldn't find the top speed of a leopard seal i did find a californian sea lion which is only 14mph http://www.speedofanimals.com/animals/california_sea_lion
so i assume the tiger shark could catch and kill the seal quite easily

Wild
Member Avatar
dinofreak337
May 27 2012, 01:12 PM
the tiger has a top speed of 20 mph http://www.speedofanimals.com/animals/tiger_shark?g=t
although i couldn't find the top speed of a leopard seal i did find a californian sea lion which is only 14mph http://www.speedofanimals.com/animals/california_sea_lion
But the seal is so much more maneuverable. You can find videos of them twisting and turning underwater and make quick turns and changin gdirection in the blink of an eye so effortlessly.

Edited by Wild, May 27 2012, 02:48 PM.

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Friend of the fish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
animal118
May 27 2012, 02:47 PM
dinofreak337
But the seal is so much more maneuverable. You can find videos of them twisting and turning underwater and make quick turns and changin gdirection in the blink of an eye so effortlessly.

True but i imagine that shark getting a bite sooner or later and killing the seal.

Wild
Member Avatar
dinofreak337
May 27 2012, 03:13 PM
animal118
May 27 2012, 02:47 PM
dinofreak337

True but i imagine that shark getting a bite sooner or later and killing the seal.
If the seal is motivated enough to kill the shark I see it coming form the bottom and getting in a bite to the under belly. If often attacks penguins from the bottom too. I don't think the shark could take a bite like that and the seal wouldn't even have to try to rip out a chunk of flesh the shark's thrashing would do that.

Wild
Member Avatar
Elosha11
May 27 2012, 12:47 AM
The tiger shark is better at killing the leopard seal; the leopard seal is better at maneuvering and is still a formidable opponent with a powerful bite. But I'm not sure a full grown leopard seal will be able to kill a tiger shark. It could drive it away but it would have a hard time killing the shark. However, one good bite from the tiger shark would cripple or kill the seal instantaneously. Thus I support a tiger shark in a fight to the death.
Still how can you kill what you can't catch? Once the leopard seal has clearly outmaneuvered the shark it can go in for a bite to the underbelly (out of reach form the shark's jaws) and as I've explained multiple times as the shark struggles a large chunk of flesh with be ripped out of it's body and it will bleed to death.

Wild
Member Avatar
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 11:24 PM
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:45 PM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 02:43 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 02:41 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 01:57 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:53 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 01:48 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:39 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 26 2012, 01:20 AM
animal118
May 26 2012, 01:18 AM
DinosaurMichael
May 25 2012, 08:38 PM
Mismatch. Tiger Shark wins easily. I'd give the Leopard Seal is more of a match for a Bull Shark, but even then. I'd still favor the Shark.
Why is it a mismatch? The leopard seal seems a whole lot more agile and by the looks of it it could easily dodge the tiger sharks attacks. The seal could give the tiger shark repeated bites and kill it that way. How much does the average tiger shark even weigh?
Because the Tiger Shark on average is much bigger. A Leopard Seal is more around the Bull Shark's size
The average leopard seal is 882 lbs (400 kg) while an average bull shark is 290 lbs (130 kg). I still don't know the average weight of an adult tiger shark.
The average weight of Female Bull Sharks is 500 lbs. 290 lbs is probably the average weight for males, though it's possibly 300 lbs is their average as well.
No according to Wikipedia " Adult female bull sharks average 2.4 m (7.9 ft) long and typically weigh 130 kg (290 lb), whereas the slightly smaller adult male averages 2.25 m (7.4 ft) and 95 kg (210 lb)" Still don't know the average weight of a tiger shark.
Don't believe wikipedia all the time. Anyone can put stuff that is made up. Sources I normally see of Bull Sharks say that Females are 500 lbs, while the males are 290 lbs.
Well at least wikipedia lists its sources apparently they got those weights from this source: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/bullshark/bullshark.htm and this one: http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Cle/Cle_large.html
Well Elosha11 told me on the the Bengal Tiger vs Bull Shark thread and now I know that this is their average weights. So guess this fight isn't a mismatch then. I however still vote for the Tiger Shark.
I looked at some videos of tiger sharks on you tube they look a little sluggish. I see the seal out maneuvering one and maybe coming from the bottom and sinking its canines into its underbelly. The shark wouldn't be able to utilize those jaws so tit would be practically helpless, it would begin thrashing but that would only help the seal remove a chunk right out of it.
Well I still vote for it anyway and Tiger Sharks can be fast if they want to. They just don't show it.
Fast doesn't equal maneuverable. Sure a runner can sprint but how fast can he turn and gain his speed again or change direction or run in a pattern. It's all about agility.

Wild
Member Avatar
Grey
May 27 2012, 01:05 AM
Galeocerdo all the way.

The seal could maybe outdrive the shark depending its motivation, but for a hungry Galeocerdo, the Seal would be just a meal.
Not necessarily, as I've explained infinite times the seal can easily outmaneuver the shark, swim under it, deliver a bite, and the shark bleeds to death.

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
shark size avantage,weight,stronger bite,spped

Catboy
Member Avatar
~_~
Tiger shark wins easily. Mismatch.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: