Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
Fishing Cat 13 (86.7%)
Northern Snakehead 2 (13.3%)
Total Votes: 15
Fishing Cat v Northern Snakehead
Topic Started: May 31 2012, 06:32 PM (1,265 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Fishing Cat - Prionailurus viverrinus
The Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) is a medium-sized wild cat of South and Southeast Asia. Like its closest relative, the leopard cat, the fishing cat lives along rivers, streams and mangrove swamps. It is well adapted to this habitat, being an eager and skilled swimmer. The fur of fishing cats is olive-grey with dark spots arranged in horizontal streaks running along the length of the body. The underside is white, and the back of the ears are black with central white spots. There are a pair of dark stripes around the throat, and a number of black rings on the tail. An adult fishing cat is about twice the size of a domestic cat, with a head and body length that typically ranges from 57 to 78 cm (22 to 31 in), and a 20 to 30 cm (7.9 to 12 in) long tail. A few much larger individuals have been reported, of up to 115 cm (45 in) in head-body length. Adult fishing cats weigh from 5 to 16 kilograms (11 to 35 lb). They have a stocky, muscular build with medium to short legs, and a short tail of one half to one third the length of the rest of the animal. The face is elongated with a distinctly flat nose and ears set far back on the head.

Posted Image

Northern Snakehead - Channa argus
The Northern snakehead (Channa argus) is a type of snakehead fish native to China, Russia, North Korea and South Korea. In the United States, the fish is considered to be a highly invasive species. In a well-known incident, several were found in a pond in Crofton, Maryland in June 2002, which led to major media coverage and two movies about the incident, Snakehead Terror and Frankenfish. Distinguishing features of the northern snakehead include a long dorsal fin with 49-50 rays,(Hogan, 2012) anal fin with 31-32 rays, small anteriorly-depressed head, eye above the middle part of the upper jaw, large mouth extending well beyond the eye, villiform teeth in bands, large canine on the lower jaw and palatines, length up to 40 inches (1.0 m), with one report of 60 inches (1.5m), and weight up to 15 pounds (7 kg). Coloration is a golden tan to pale brown, with dark blotches on the sides and saddle-like blotches across the back. Blotches toward the front tend to separate between top and bottom sections, while rear blotches are more likely to be contiguous. Coloration is nearly the same between juveniles and adults, which is unusual among snakeheads. Coloration is similar to Channa maculata, but can be distinguished by two bar-like marks on the caudal peduncle (where the tail attaches): in Channa maculata, the rear bar is usually complete, with pale bar-like areas before and after, while in Channa argus, the rear bar is irregular and blotched, with no pale areas around it.

Posted Image

dinofreak337

northern snakehead vs. fishing cat (in very shallow water something like 20cm deep)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ManEater
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
What can the snakehead do?

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fishing cat wins easy.

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Friend of the fish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ManEater
May 31 2012, 07:06 PM
a snakehead is quite fast, agile, agressive and is able to crawl on land and breathe air.
slightly bigger species regularly prey on small mammals like mice and rats.
i wanted to use the giant snakehead but it was apparently a mismatch in favour of the fish.
cat 80/20

Homotherium
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
This cat's maximum weight is 16 kg! It wins.

Catboy
Member Avatar
I am the almighty cornholio!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fishing cat wins easily. It's just too big and it will just fish the fish out and eat it.
Edited by Catboy, Jul 14 2013, 05:41 PM.

retic
Member Avatar
snake and dinosaur enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
cat wins easily. it is just too big.

Creed
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Fishfreak
May 31 2012, 07:53 PM
ManEater
a snakehead is quite fast, agile, agressive and is able to crawl on land and breathe air.
i wanted to use the giant snakehead but it was apparently a mismatch in favour of the fish.
cat 80/20
Interesting

ManEater
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fishfreak
ManEater
cat 80/20
80/20, i really woulid like to know the 20% time where the fish can win..., seriously, what is this thread ???

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Friend of the fish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ManEater
Jul 14 2013, 05:12 PM
Fishfreak
ManEater
cat 80/20
80/20, i really woulid like to know the 20% time where the fish can win..., seriously, what is this thread ???
I don't even know man, I wanted to use giant snakehead as they are considerably larger and more agressive.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply