Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
Dire Wolf 58 (58%)
Spotted Hyena 42 (42%)
Total Votes: 100
Dire Wolf v Spotted Hyena
Topic Started: Jun 17 2012, 05:58 PM (37,754 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Dire Wolf - Canis dirus
The Dire wolf (Canis dirus) is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis, and was most common in North America and South America from the Irvingtonian stage to the Rancholabrean stage of the Pleistocene epoch living 1.80 Ma – 10,000 years ago, existing for approximately 1.79 million years. lthough it was closely related to the Gray Wolf and other sister species, Canis dirus was not the direct ancestor of any species known today. Unlike the Gray Wolf, which is of Eurasian origin, the Dire Wolf evolved on the North American continent, along with the Coyote. The Dire Wolf co-existed with the Gray Wolf in North America for about 100,000 years. The dire wolf was about the same size as the largest modern gray wolves (Canis lupus), which are the Yukon wolf and the northwestern wolf. C. d. guildayi weighed on average 60 kilograms (132 lb) and C. d. dirus was on average 68 kg (150 lb). Despite superficial similarities to the Gray Wolf, there were significant differences between the two species. The legs of the Dire Wolf were proportionally shorter and sturdier than those of the Gray Wolf, and its brain case was smaller than that of a similarly sized gray wolf. The Dire Wolf's teeth were similar to the Gray Wolf's, only slightly larger, pointing to a hypercarnivorous to mesocarnivorous activity. Paleontologist R.M. Nowak states the dietary characteristics are primarily carnivorous as well as partially omnivorous.

Posted Image

Spotted Hyena - Crocuta crocuta
The spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta), also known as the laughing hyena or tiger wolf, is a species of hyena native to Sub-Saharan Africa. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN on account of its widespread range and large numbers estimated at 10,000 individuals. The spotted hyena is the largest extant member of the Hyaenidae.[43] Adults measure 95.0—165.8 cm in body length, and have a shoulder height of 70.0-91.5 cm. Adult male spotted hyenas in the Serengeti weigh 40.5—55.0 kg (89—121 lb), while females weigh 44.5—63.9 kg (98—141 lb). Spotted hyenas in Zambia tend to be heavier, with males weighing on average 67.6 kg (149 lb), and females 69.2 kg (153 lb). Exceptionally large weights of 81.7 kg (180 lb) and 86 kg (190 lb) are known. It has been estimated that adult members of the now extinct Eurasian populations weighed 102 kg (225 lbs).

Posted Image

werewolf2012

How about Spotted hyena vs Dire wolf?

Edited by Taipan, Oct 15 2017, 05:22 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mohamad
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
i think the difference about the 2 animals is which hyena is more defensive and musculer but dire wolf is very dangerous animals. i dont voted yet but i think 6/10 hyena wins

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hyena is still too powerful.

Sam1
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dire wolf is too much for the hyena.
It was an epic, true macro predator with huge packs of up to 50-80 hunters, going after bisons and other large prey(average prey mass was around 500kg, according to some estimates).
On top of that, his jaws were even stronger and more deadly than hyena's.

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Dire Wolf was more muscular than Grey Wolves, and it had a stronger bite. It fought with Deadly Predators (3 Short Faced Bear species - Brown Bears - Smilodon - Homotherium - Xenosmilus - American Lions ...........)
Edited by Megafelis Fatalis, Jun 17 2012, 08:17 PM.

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Could a dire wolf survive being choked by leopards and lions?

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Hyena wins. Better durability, and much more stronger jaws.

Sam1
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
You obviously don't know much about Dire wolves Dino Mike.
It's bite was probably more powerful than that of the spotted hyena.

And k9, are you even aware that this canine shared the habitat with American lions, short faced bears, and smilodons?
And tackled the same prey that they did -bisons, camels, horses and giant sloths.
Modern African plains are like a kindergarten compared to that America.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Sam1
Jun 17 2012, 09:25 PM

And k9, are you even aware that this canine shared the habitat with American lions, short faced bears, and smilodons?
And tackled the same prey that they did -bisons, camels, horses and giant sloths.
Really? I didn't know. Also the Dire Wolf may have a stronger bite, but does the Dire Wolf have the durability to survive being attacked by Lions. I hear Hyenas durability is so strong that even when mauled by Lions like being bitten in the neck and all that. Hyenas survive. That puts it at an advantage. If the Hyena can survive worse from a Lion. Then likely it could survive from a Dire Wolf. So the durability of the Hyena would give it the win in my opinion.
Edited by DinosaurMichael, Jun 17 2012, 09:38 PM.

Sam1
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
That is a pretty silly argument to begin with.
It's not a choke durability testing, but a fight, and this is about who would gain the upper hand in that fight.
Besides, cases when a hyena doesn't last even ten seconds after being caught by a male lion are more common than what you bring up.
It's like saying, oh that one pitbull took 15 gun shots before dying.
That's more than a black bear would normally take, so pitbull>black bear.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Sam1
Jun 17 2012, 10:11 PM
That is a pretty silly argument to begin with.
It's not a choke durability testing, but a fight, and this is about who would gain the upper hand in that fight.
Besides, cases when a hyena doesn't last even ten seconds after being caught by a male lion are more common than what you bring up.
It's like saying, oh that one pitbull took 15 gun shots before dying.
That's more than a black bear would normally take, so pitbull>black bear.
Well my vote still goes to the Hyena anyway. But that's just my opinion. The Dire Wolf does have a better chance than the Gray Wolf though.

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Sam1
Jun 17 2012, 09:25 PM

Your point being? All of those carnivores you listed would kill a dire wolf very quickly. And yes they tackled all those big herbivores, in packs that is.

Elephantus
Member Avatar
Tusker
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is almost like Striped Hyena vs Gray Wolf.

I would support the wolf in that case, and I support the wolf overhere as well. Wolves seem like better fighters, more mobile and efficient at killing. But of course the hyena will be a tough opponent.

Neofelis
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I support the Dire wolf in this one too. We can't prove the Dire wolf's durability but Grey wolves survive kicks from Bison and Elk so I don't know a about Dire Wolves.

Wild
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
k9boy
Jun 17 2012, 08:10 PM
Could a dire wolf survive being choked by leopards and lions?
Heck no! Hyena takes this due to its extreme durability and pain tolerance.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply