Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Southern Grasshopper Mouse v Giant Asian Mantis
Topic Started: Jun 20 2012, 09:49 PM (2,232 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Southern Grasshopper Mouse - Onychomys torridus
The southern grasshopper mouse lives primarily in the arid deserts of the southwestern United States and northern Mexico. They are largely carnivorous, making them unique among mice–their diet mainly consisting of insects, like scorpions, beetles, and grasshoppers, as well as other rodents—including other grasshopper mice. Grasshopper mice are extremely aggressive predators, and are known to commit acts of cannibalism when threatened or in need of food. They are generally solitary animals and keep large territories to themselves, but they may live in male-female pairs. However, this live-in relationship tends to end badly—one of the two partners inevitably kills the other.
Average weight: 0.78 ounces. Average Size: 3.5 to 5 inches (head and body); 1 to 2.5 inches (tail)

Posted Image

Giant Asian Mantis - Hierodula membranacea
Hierodula membranacea is a large mantid, sharing its common name giant Asian mantis with other large members of genus Hierodula. Its colours vary from green to yellow-green, or even brown to reddish-brown, similar to those of the giant Indian mantis and the giant Malaysian mantis. As the name suggests, it originates from southeast Asia and is among the largest of mantises. Male and female adults reach around 10 centimetres (3.9 in), excluding extended forelegs. It is a cannibalistic species, with the females sometimes eating the males after mating. Mantises have a hard external skeleton called an exoskeleton. As they grow, the skin will get tighter and tighter until it is finally shed. As H. membranacea age, they will shed their exoskeleton several times until they reach adulthood. Giant Asian mantises in captivity will feed on basically any given insect. There are exceptions, such as wasps and ants, as these can deal harm to the mantis. This species is particularly cannibalistic. Cannibalism in this species is thought to increase female fecundity. Daily spraying or misting in captivity gives the mantis the water it needs to survive. However, a mantis will readily drink water offered to it.

Posted Image

Wild Dog

Southern grasshopper mouse vs. Chinese mantis
Edited by Taipan, Jul 3 2012, 10:57 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Wild
Member Avatar
Tell 'em that you know me when you runnin' through Atlanta
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cat
Jun 21 2012, 08:56 AM
This mantis species is not even one of the biggest. I agree that it would have almost no chance against the small rodent. In the video where the mantis won it was actually bigger than the mouse, and it wasn't a grasshopper mouse...
actually it is one of the biggest tho it's title as largest mantis is still disputed among Hierodula majuscula and hierodula patellifera both are rather VERY large, it does actually have a chance tho it is strong robust and a fast stirker
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vivec
Canid and snake enthusiast.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Elephantus
Jun 21 2012, 02:52 AM
Wild Dog
Jun 21 2012, 02:39 AM
Elephantus
Jun 21 2012, 12:16 AM
Grasshopper mice are among the toughest rodent species, and make a living killing large dangerous insects.

Mantis are not good fighters either.
Thank you Taipan. Also mantis aren't good fighters? What makes you say that?

Just a video showing mantis can take good sized mammalian prey:

Mantids evolved to ambush small flying prey. Have you seen them get into fights with more formidable arthropods? It doesnt end well for the mantis.

Also, this is a grasshopper mouse, not some weak little field mouse. The GM is adapted for taking on large invertebrates like centipedes and scorpions, and wouldnt have much trouble with the inferior mantis.
1. The mantis is much more powerful than the scorpion
2. As soon as it digs into the mouses flesh, it's over.

Elephantus
Member Avatar
Tusker
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
^ Your first point is debatable, and no, the mantis would not be able to subdue or even catch this aggressive little mouse. You need a more robust species of mantis for the insect to even have a chance here.

Vivec
Canid and snake enthusiast.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Elephantus
Oct 6 2012, 03:38 AM
^ Your first point is debatable, and no, the mantis would not be able to subdue or even catch this aggressive little mouse. You need a more robust species of mantis for the insect to even have a chance here.
These things eat snakes, and remember these are ambush predators, the mouse wouldn't even know what day it was before its flesh is being ripped apart.

Wild
Member Avatar
Elephantus
Hierodula has the world's largest and robust mantid species, most every member has visible robuscity look up some vids and see for yourself. Don't underestimate a mantis' power tho, the much thinner chinese mantis (not a member of hierodula) has taken hummingbirds (one account of one nearly capturing a humming bird five times it's weight), mice, and snkaes larger than themselves and I'm tlaking aobut those skinny backyard mantis' imagine the power and strength a hierodula holds definitely more than enough to overpower the small mouse, aggression cna't save you whne your opponent has that much of a physical advantage over you. I presuem we'll be using a pregannt female praiyng mantis here (when their graivd they have the most ravenous appetites and a dirve to go for nearly anyhting that's also when they're biggest)

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Elephantus
the mantis would not be able to subdue or even catch this aggressive little mouse
If a mantis can subdue a larger snake, it can subdue a mouse.

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Monster of Amberri
Mouse are more robust and compact then snakes though. its not as easy as grabbing a slenderly built snake.

Wild
Member Avatar
Black Ice
Oct 6 2012, 09:58 AM
Mouse are more robust and compact then snakes though. its not as easy as grabbing a slenderly built snake.
remmebr the mantis cna strike faste rthna you can register with yuor own eye what happened, the mouse is a goner it won't see such a spoeedy strike coming

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Monster of Amberri
What the hell did you just say?

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Black Ice
Oct 6 2012, 09:58 AM
But the snake is much larger than this mantis. This is not the case of the mouse. And I seriously think that a long body is more hard to control than a "robust body."

Wild
Member Avatar
Black Ice
Oct 6 2012, 10:04 AM
What the hell did you just say?
I'm sorry! Uh I said the praying mantis actually strikes faster than the human eye can register, the mouse won't see it coming, it's a goner

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Monster of Amberri
Yea well i'm not about to debate this so ok.
Edited by Black Ice, Oct 6 2012, 10:13 AM.

Wild
Member Avatar
Black Ice
Oct 6 2012, 10:13 AM
Yea well i'm not about to debate this so ok.
wow that laziness is really getting to you

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Monster of Amberri
yes it's actually getting serious.

Wild
Member Avatar
Black Ice
Oct 6 2012, 10:19 AM
yes it's actually getting serious.
dang that sux

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply