Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Jaguarundi 10 (43.5%)
Fossa 13 (56.5%)
Total Votes: 23
Jaguarundi v Fossa
Topic Started: Jun 27 2012, 06:29 PM (2,667 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Jaguarundi - Puma yagouaroundi
The jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi) is a small-sized wild cat native to Central and South America. Jaguarundis are primarily diurnal, being active during the day rather than evenings or night time. They are comfortable in trees, but prefer to hunt on the ground. They will eat almost any small animal that they can catch, typically catching a mixture of rodents, small reptiles, and ground-feeding birds. They have also been observed to kill larger prey, such as rabbits, and opossums; relatively unusual prey include fish and even marmosets. Like many other cats they also include a small amount of vegetation and arthropods in their diet. In terms of physical appearance, the jaguarundi is perhaps the least cat-like of all the cats. It has a total length of 53 to 77 cm (21 to 30 in), not including the 31 to 60 cm (12 to 24 in) tail, and weighs 3.5 to 9.1 kg (7.7 to 20 lb).

Posted Image

Fossa - Cryptoprocta ferox
The fossa is a cat-like, carnivorous mammal that is endemic to Madagascar. It is a member of the Eupleridae, a family of carnivorans closely related to the mongoose family (Herpestidae). Its classification has been controversial because its physical traits resemble those of cats, yet other traits suggest a close relationship with viverrids (most civets and their relatives). Its classification, along with that of the other Malagasy carnivores, influenced hypotheses about how many times mammalian carnivores have colonized the island. With genetic studies demonstrating that the fossa and all other Malagasy carnivores are most closely related to each other (forming a clade, recognized as the family Eupleridae), carnivorans are now thought to have colonized the island once around 18 to 20 million years ago. The fossa is the largest mammalian carnivore on the island of Madagascar and has been compared to a small cougar. Adults have a head-body length of 70–80 cm (28–31 in) and weigh between 5.5–8.6 kg (12–19 lb), with the males larger than the females. It has semi-retractable claws and flexible ankles that allow it to climb up and down trees head-first, and also support jumping from tree to tree.

Posted Image

Neofelis

Fossa vs Jaguarundi
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Both very understudied animals, so I'm not so sure. I think i will back the fossa, it is a well muscled animal and would probably be stronger then the jaguarundi.
Posted Image
Edited by k9boy, Jun 27 2012, 06:49 PM.

Neofelis
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
It depends. I want to see some more pics pf the Jaguarundi such as their skeleton and their skull or a better pic that shows their muscles.

linnaeus1758
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Fossa seems more robust but i don´t know.

FelisRex
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
I favor the felid but this is a fairly close fight. I just think the jaguarundi takes larger prey

Fox
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Dosen't the Fossa grow to larger weights than 19lbs? The encyclopedia of mammals by David Macdonald has them down as 9 to 20kg.

Anyhow I can't really call this fight but of the top of my head i'll say Fossa, only seen a Jaguarundi once at Budapest Zoo, they are strange looking things.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
FelisRex
Sep 19 2012, 12:30 AM
I just think the jaguarundi takes larger prey
Again? This proves nothing.

50/50 IMO

FelisRex
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
How does it prove nothing? Taking larger prey takes more physical strength, physical strength is important in interspecific conflict... On a psychological level too an animal that takes prey of similar to larger size will be less apprehensive to fight when faced with an animal of equal to larger size. Is this stemming from your bushdog maned wolf analogy? Nature is full of exceptions, foils and contradictions with no hard fast rules, but in general an animal that takes substantially larger prey needs more strength.

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fossa might have atacked extict giant lemurs and can take down sifakas

FelisRex
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
much like the giant lemurs, these were giant fossa

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
no normal fossa did but i cant find link now im eating dinner (spag bol)

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
FelisRex
Sep 19 2012, 01:05 AM
in general an animal that takes substantially larger prey needs more strength.
Not, since both animals hunt by ambush. And there are other analogies. For example, reticulated pythons hunt larger prey than anacondas, but anacondas are much stronger.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Moreover, there are not many large prey in Madagascar, you know. Probably the lemurs are the largest animals available, although I'm not sure.

Apex
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fossas are capable in killing every endemic animal in madagascar they also take goats

FelisRex
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
I would like to see a link to that, Im pretty sure the giant fossa and the giant lemurs lived and died out alongside each other.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: