Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Pantanal Jaguar 22 (42.3%)
Sumatran Tiger 30 (57.7%)
Total Votes: 52
Pantanal Jaguar v Sumatran Tiger
Topic Started: Jul 29 2012, 05:42 PM (13,950 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Pantanal Jaguar - Panthera onca palustris
The jaguar (Panthera onca) is a big cat, a feline in the Panthera genus, and is the only Panthera species found in the Americas. The jaguar is the third-largest feline after the tiger and the lion, and the largest in the Western Hemisphere. The jaguar's present range extends from Southern United States and Mexico across much of Central America and south to Paraguay and northern Argentina. A study of the Jaguar in the Brazilian Pantanal region found average weights of 100 kilograms (220 lb) and weights of 136 kilograms (300 lb) or more are not uncommon in old males. A short and stocky limb structure makes the jaguar adept at climbing, crawling and swimming. The head is robust and the jaw extremely powerful. The jaguar hunts wild animals weighing up to 300 kilograms (660 lb) in dense jungle, and its short and sturdy physique is thus an adaptation to its prey and environment.

Posted Image

Sumatran Tiger - Panthera tigris sumatrae
The Sumatran tiger (Panthera tigris sumatrae) is a tiger subspecies that inhabits the Indonesian island of Sumatra and has been classified as critically endangered by IUCN in 2008 as the population is projected at 176 to 271 mature individuals, with no subpopulation having an effective population size larger than 50 individuals, with a declining trend. The Sumatran tiger is the only surviving member of the Sunda Islands group of tigers that included the now extinct Bali tiger and Javan tiger. The Sumatran tiger is the smallest of the tiger subspecies as compared to the Siberian tiger which is the largest. Sumatran male tigers average 8 feet (2.438m) in length from head to tail and weigh about 265 lbs.(120.2 kg). Females average 7 feet (2.134 m) in length and weigh about 200 lbs (90.718 kg). The smaller size of the Sumatran tiger makes it easier to move quickly through the jungle. Also, their stripes are narrower than other tiger species. The tiger's patterned coloring is an adaptation for camouflage in their natural habitat, which is often tall grass. The males, especially, have a more bearded and maned appearance in which neck and cheek hair are well developed. Sumatran tigers commonly prey on larger ungulates like wild pig, Malayan Tapir, and deer, and sometimes also smaller animals such as fowl, monkeys, and fish.

Posted Image

mohamad

sumatran tiger vs panatal jaguar

I wouldn't normally make this one given the weight difference but it is constantly requested.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
How about Javan Tiger vs Patanal or Llano's Jaguar instead then?

They're basically the same size.
Quote:

Male: 100-141kg (220 - 310 pounds)
Edited by 221Extra, Jul 29 2012, 05:50 PM.

cidermaster
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Tiger wins this most of the time.

FireCrown
Felines,Ursids,and Canid
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Tigers are not what you really know about them they're shy solitary beasts while Jags are not shy also they take on bigger prey
Edited by FireCrown, Jul 29 2012, 08:49 PM.

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jaguar wins IMO, because of its muscular body.

cidermaster
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If you think about it this is a good match up,however on average the Sumatran Tiger is atleast 15% larger and i would guess it is the most aggressive of the 2.

The Jaguar is not to be dismissed but i give it to the Tiger 8 times out of ten.

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
50/50

cidermaster
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Infact i would go so far as to guess the Sumatran Tiger is stronger and more powerfull,not a big margin,but a slight margin.

Add that i guess it is more aggressive...................and on average slightly bigger............

ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Jaguar doesn't beat ANY SPECIE of Tiger. In fact the Sumatran Tiger IS THE BEST all around cat. It has the agility of the smaller big cats like the Cougar and Leopard, yet the power of big cats. The Jaguars more "muscular looking" body is irrelevant.

Posted Image
Posted Image

cidermaster
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You get the immpression the Jaguar may even sh.. itself????????????

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd back the tiger even at parity.

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
yigit05
Jul 30 2012, 02:16 AM
50/50
Yeah seems fairly balanced, but keep in mind, they're similar but not the same, still I have no idea who would win.

theropod
Member Avatar
palaeontology, open source and survival enthusiast
I´m slightly edging toards the jaguar because it is very strong and impressive at bringing down large animals (anakonda, caiman, huge fish in the water, tapirs). also the jag has an immense bite force second only to the spotted hyaena.

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
This might be true, but the prey of the Tiger too isn't unimpressive, still I back the Jaguar for the reasons theropod stated.

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
theropod
Jul 30 2012, 04:08 AM
also the jag has an immense bite force second only to the spotted hyaena.
And tigers and lions

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: