Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
American Black Bear 4 (21.1%)
Giant (Short-faced) Hyena 15 (78.9%)
Total Votes: 19
American Black Bear v Giant (Short-faced) Hyena
Topic Started: Aug 12 2012, 06:49 PM (1,360 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

American Black Bear - Ursus americanus
The American black bear or North American black bear (Ursus americanus) is a medium-sized bear native to North America. It is the continent's smallest and most common bear species. Black bears are omnivores, with their diets varying greatly depending on season and location. They typically live in largely forested areas, but do leave forests in search of food. Black bear weight tends to vary according to age, sex, health, and season. Seasonal variation in weight is very pronounced: in autumn, their pre-den weight tends to be 30% higher than in spring, when black bears emerge from their dens. Black bears on the East Coast tend to be heavier on average than those on the West Coast. Adult males typically weigh between 57–250 kg (130–550 lb), while females weigh 33% less at 41–170 kg (90–370 lb). Adults have a typical size range of 120–200 cm (47–79 in) in length, and 70–105 cm (28–41 in) in shoulder height. The tail is 7.7–17.7 cm (3.0–7.0 in) long. Up to 85% of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation, though they tend to dig less than brown bears, eating far fewer roots, bulbs, corms and tubers than the latter species.

Posted Image

Giant (Short-faced) Hyena - Pachycrocuta brevirostus
Pachycrocuta was a genus of prehistoric hyenas. The largest and most well-researched species was the giant hyena Pachycrocuta brevirostris, which stood about 100 cm (39 in) at the shoulder and may have weighed 190 kg (420 lb) — the size of a lioness. This would make it the largest hyena to have ever lived. It lived between the Middle Pliocene and the Middle Pleistocene, about 3 million to 500,000 years ago. Fossil remains have been found in many localities of Eurasia and southern and eastern Africa. Most material consists of fragmented remains, usually of the skull, but there has been a cache of very comprehensive bone material unearthed at the famous Zhoukoudian locality which probably represents the remains of animals which used these caves as lairs for many millennia, while at the western end of their former range, a huge assemblage of Pleistocene fossils at Venta Micena in southeastern Spain also represents a den. It probably was a small-pack hunter of large animals (up to deer size and occasionally larger) and also scavenged for food. Possibly it preferentially did the latter because it was a very heavyset animal not built for chasing prey over long distances. In this aspect it would have differed from the Spotted Hyena of today, which is a more nimble animal that, contrary to its image as a scavenger, usually kills its own food but often gets displaced by lions.

Posted Image

Mauro20

Giant (Short-Faced) Hyena VS American Black Bear
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Black Ice
Member Avatar
It Bites Worse Than It Barks
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Are we using the 550lb black bears? if we are I strongly back the black bear

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
I don't know. Bears aren't very good killers, and a hyena that size would be a massive pain in the arse to kill.

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Honestly the bigger the Hyena the more difficult it is to not pick it, since the Hyena weights 420lbs & average American Black Bear is 250lbs, I'd back the Hyena. At similar sizes it would be difficult & I'd still back the Hyena as I just seeing it being too much at similar weights, the durability of a Spotted Hyena is already strong & amazing durability as well now just triple that & its insane.
Edited by 221Extra, Aug 12 2012, 07:23 PM.

Black Ice
Member Avatar
It Bites Worse Than It Barks
k9boy
Aug 12 2012, 07:05 PM
I don't know. Bears aren't very good killers, and a hyena that size would be a massive pain in the arse to kill.
In hunting bears arent good killers. But in a fight their superb if they want you dead
But yea id back hyena at parity, a grizzly would have been better

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
A grizzly would destroy this hyena, even at parity.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the fight, Taipan. I think the hyena would win, it is probably more agile and has a stronger bite than that bear.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In addition, the bear is probably much less aggressive.

Carcharadon
Member Avatar
Shark Toothed Reptile
I give this to the bear, he should be able to knock over the hyena down on the ground and ravage it

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
221extra
Aug 12 2012, 07:07 PM
Honestly the bigger the Hyena the more difficult it is to not pick it, since the Hyena weights 420lbs & average American Black Bear is 250lbs, I'd back the Hyena. At similar sizes it would be difficult & I'd still back the Hyena as I just seeing it being too much at similar weights, the durability of a Spotted Hyena is already strong & amazing durability as well now just triple that & its insane.
Aren't Black Bears 400 lbs on average? 250 lbs is probably the average for Females.
Edited by DinosaurMichael, Aug 12 2012, 11:11 PM.

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
DinosaurMichael
Aug 12 2012, 11:11 PM
221extra
Aren't Black Bears 400 lbs on average? 250 lbs is probably the average for Females.
Click source, its the American Bear Association. Black Bears aren't that heavy on average. Tho the source did mention they're heavier in the east coast.
Edited by 221Extra, Aug 12 2012, 11:21 PM.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dark allosaurus
Aug 12 2012, 11:09 PM
I give this to the bear, he should be able to knock over the hyena down on the ground and ravage it
Common hyenas are able to resist injuries inflicted by lions in a situation similar to you described. I think the bear could not control the hyena for long.

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
221extra
Aug 12 2012, 11:18 PM
DinosaurMichael
Aug 12 2012, 11:11 PM
221extra
Click source, its the American Bear Association. Black Bears aren't that heavy on average. Tho the source did mention they're heavier in the east coast.
Alright then. However that site could be out of date for all we know.

Themetalboa
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
I would probably bet my money on the Hyena. If the Hyena gets a good bite then the bear is doomed.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I agree.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: