Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Feral dogs in Africa, Europe, South America etc..
Topic Started: Aug 19 2012, 10:34 AM (972 Views)
Madmustelid
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Why don't you hear much about them? Are there any feral dog populations in the Amazon for example? I mean the natives there kept a small semi-feral dog similar to the Dingo. So, why don't you ever hear about Feral dogs from there? Jaguars and Pumas are pretty rare in many parts of South America, and I can't really see Ocelots or even Bush dogs posing much of a threat to a pack of feral dogs.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Madmustelid
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anyone?

FelisRex
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I know North America has the wild Carolina Dogs

maker
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Since you said Europe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dogs_in_Bucharest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dogs_in_Moscow

kingkazma
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@OP Well there's still huge reptiles in the Amazon

Cape Leopard
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Apparently you may get feral dogs here and there in small spots of Africa, but not common. I do know in the cities of Addis Ababa and Harar in Ethiopia, feral dogs and spotted hyenas compete for the pickings in the rubbish dumps.
Edited by Cape Leopard, Jan 24 2015, 04:41 AM.

Nordred
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Feral dogs in italy.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1551274318453869&set=vb.100007139472111&type=2&theater

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's pockets of them everywhere, they are quite well established in some parts of America, to the point that they suppress coyotes.

Draconis Rex Horribilis
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.citylab.com/weather/2012/09/feral-dogs-invade-australias-cities/3296/
http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news/giant-killer-delivered-a-dogs-reign-death-blow/1502646/

VenomousDragon
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Full Throttle
Jan 24 2015, 09:15 AM
There's pockets of them everywhere, they are quite well established in some parts of America, to the point that they suppress coyotes.
In Canada ferals only seem to exist in high concentrations in and around native reservations.

Nordred
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Feral dogs can be a nice hunters... they conservate their instinct .

Cape Leopard
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Also, there's apparently feral dogs in the Chernobyl exclusion zone which are very wolf-like, though they carry their tails curled over their backs.

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
JackLumber
Jan 24 2015, 03:51 PM
Full Throttle
Jan 24 2015, 09:15 AM
In Canada ferals only seem to exist in high concentrations in and around native reservations.
Makes sense, refuse and hand outs would encourage them to hang around and breed. If you ever have the chance to read the "Black Grizzly of Whiskey Creek" which is centered around a series of bear attacks in Banff in the 80's the author mentions feral and stray dogs were impeding there capture efforts by setting off the culvert traps.

I remember an article somewhere that was about feral dogs living around Alaskan port towns, they were surviving primarily on gut piles and road kill.

Mesopredator
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
The reason you do not hear about it: for biologists it is not interesting, non-native anthropogenic. For common folk, it's normal I assume.

Quote:

Also, there's apparently feral dogs in the Chernobyl exclusion zone which are very wolf-like, though they carry their tails curled over their backs.

Those have been eliminated - so I've heard.

Nordred
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoological Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: