Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dinosaur Size Comparison Thread
Topic Started: Aug 25 2012, 10:51 PM (215,667 Views)
SpinoInWonderland
The madness has come back...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Post them here...

here's one, Megaraptor and Tyrannosaurus

Posted Image
(click image for a larger version)

Tyrannosaurus = 12.1 meters
Megaraptor = 8 meters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
SpinoInWonderland
Oxalaia and Tarbosaurus

Posted Image
Click the image for a larger version

Oxalaia = 14 meters long
Tarbosaurus = 11 meters long(10.5 meters in the image due to the tail dip)

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by Dark allosaurus

My Guanlong vs Deinonychus
Posted Image
Guanlong: 3 m
Deinonychus: 3.4 m
Guanlong looks taller because of its standing a bit more upright?

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by Sam1

Utahraptor is 7m long here.

Posted Image

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by theropod

Posted Image
Allosaurus, Torvosaurus and Ceratosaurus all at the same lenght

Quote:

Posted Image
I based the reconstructions on skeletals, tough I admit that I used a particularly big headed one for Torvosaurus

Torvosaurus (ML 1100):
Red: based on largest skull (~1,58m, ): ~11m
Normal: estimate for european maxilla: 12m

Mapusaurus:
Red: based on largest skull (~1,8m, from a comparison Grey posted on the appropriate tread-let´s hope it´s accurate): ~14m
Normal: largest estimate for MCF-PVPH-108.202 (fibula ~860 mm): 12,6m

References:
Mapusaurus: http://www.dinosaurus.net/pics/Mapusaurus.jpg
Torvosaurus: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091210052855/dinosaurking/images/8/8c/Torvosaurus_skeleton.jpg

(see Torvosaurus vs Mapusaurus tread)

Quote:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I based them on the best references that I could find (not difficult in Aardonyx´ case, but very difficult for Gasosaurus):
References:
Aardonyx was based on this skeletal drawing: http://archosaurmusings.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fig_1_-_aardonyx_skeleton_by_adam_yates1.jpg

Gasosaurus was based on this mount (unfortunately it was the best i could find, and much of it remains fiction): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Gasosaurus_fossil_Bishop_Museum.png

-------------------------
Now for the comparison:
One grid segent corresponds to 20cm.

First one showing some of the size estimates for Gasosaurus, ranging from 3m to 4,5m.
Posted Image
According to wikipedia (NL), the femur of Gasosaurus ought to measure about 42cm. One can easily see that only the green Gasosaurus can be anywere near that figure.

They are measuring ~3-~3,5m

Now a comparison with Aardonyx:
Posted Image
This Aardonyx measures 6m.

Posted Image

Here´s a version with a human for comparison.

-------------------

Of course due to the lack of data I there could be some inaccuracies on the Gasosaurus, but I doubt that it would get to 4m, and even less to 400kg. 2000lb for Aardonyx seems complete exageration as well tough.

(see Aardonyx vs Gasosaurus tread)

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by Agentjaguar

Posted Image
Edited by SpinoInWonderland, Aug 26 2012, 12:04 AM.

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by DinosaurMichael

Gasosaurus = ~ 3.5m - 4m
Bengal Tiger = ~ 95cm - 115cm tall at the shoulder
Right Click + Open image in a new tab = larger view
Posted Image

Done by Prehistoric Cat.

There must be at least 2 dinosaurs in the image, and the number of non-dinosaur animals must not exceed the number of dinosaurs, for the image to be posted here
Edited by SpinoInWonderland, Aug 26 2012, 12:05 AM.

SpinoInWonderland
Barsboldia and Albertosaurus
Posted Image

TheROC
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

SpinoInWonderland
Shunosaurus and Stegosaurus size comparison
Posted Image
Stegosaurus(maximum size, in green) = 12 meters
Shunosaurus = 11 meters
Stegosaurus armatus = 9 meters
Stegosaurus stenops(in red) = 7 meters

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by MikeBRZ

Posted Image
Tyrannosaurus rex specimen Sue vs largest individual known of Saurophaganax maximus OMNH 1708 (femur 1.135m.)
Reconstructions by Scott Hartman.
OMNH 1708 is scaled up from Scott Hartmans reconstruction of UUVP600 specimen of

SpinoInWonderland

Posted Image
Diplodocus carnegii (normal size, 27m), D. hallorum (including banddisks, 40m), Amphicoelias (upper estimate including banddisks, 70m) ---- Allosaurus maximus and Monster of Minden (assuming that it had a Torvosaurus´ proportions)

SpinoInWonderland

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by JaM

Anyway, I made this pic as an experiment. The pic is basd on drawings of skeletons of Camarasaurus lentus and Apatosaurus louisae at close to their max known size. It's a modern reconstruction, as can be seen from the high shoulders of the C. lentus. I don't know who made these drawings? I got them from some Japanese site.

Posted Image

Does this image work, as it's very wide? Turns out it was over 1000 pixels wide, I've made it a bit smaller, so it should be ok!

brolyeuphyfusion
Jun 26 2012, 02:39 AM
Apatosaurus maximum size is 28 meters, it should make the Camarasaurus look like a tiny saltasaur
Have you ever heard of the Oklahoma Apatosaurus specimen?
Sure I have!
http://svpow.com/2012/04/30/the-giant-oklahoma-apatosaurus-omnh-1670-redux/
I know there are bigger specimens. This drawing is the louisae species. This is based on the mount at the Carnegie museum. It's not the biggest Apatosaurus.

The A. louisae is clearly much bigger than the C. lentus in the drawing - but the C. lentus is drawn with a tall front end, which they probably had, and that makes it look a bit bigger than it is. The C. lentus is around 15 m, while the A. louisae is around 21 m (or something like that).

A comparison between biggest Camarasaurus (supremus species) and the biggest Apatosaurus (unknown species) would probably not be that different, just the human would be smaller. If we scale up the Apatosaurus with the same amount that the Camarasaurus would be scaled, the two animals wold be 23 and 32 m, receptively. Perhaps the Camarasaurus wasn't that tall in the front, but you never know. I'm not sure if the Camrasaurus supremus got to be 23 m long, but that's what most sources say.
Edit:
Just for the heck of it I recreated the comparison with the max size Camarosaurus (23 m) and the max size Apatosaurus (a little over 28m)
Posted Image
The 23 m length may not seem like much, but the Camarasaurus had a shorter neck and tail than most other sauropods. It's the wrong Apatosaurus species, so there could be some difference in the relative dimensions, compared to the actual species..

Edit: I already put this in the C. supremus tread - this is a lentus scaled up to supremus size - 23 m like above and a 22 m Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis. It Just shows that length isn't everything!
Posted Image

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by Prehistoric Cat

Styracosaurus by unlobogris
Posted Image

SpinoInWonderland
originally posted by Prehistoric Cat

Posted Image

The song and dance around "Biggest, Baddest - Revised" (Link) convinced me to make these versions of the same scale.
Preamble 1 - I drew these animals with the maximum possible accuracy, using as refs mainly skeletons photos (some made by me) and anatomical drawings from specific publications, assisted by some of the best available skeletals (this means that i didn't use skeletals as my main ref). I checked proportions a lot of times (the essential proportion is skull/femur) and they're all correct: you might find a "human" error margin of some millimeters, not so big to invalidate the results.

Preamble 2 - This plate is only a provocation. I whant to make you think about sizes and numbers, to show you that you must to read very well articles and books, and to show you that about paleontology the main thing is your good sense, not numbers. I'm not a scientist, I'm an artist, so I hope you'll be able to give the right importance to this scale.
Moreover I recommend you to be careful about proportions in paintings, drawings and skeletals you find around the web, because they're often wrong: don't trust in skeletals and paintings with one's life but try to verify in first person, if you can, with the help of other material.

In Figure 1 you can see (from left to right) Tyrannosaurus rex, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus e Giganotosaurus carolinii scaled according to the maximum published overall lenght (source Theropod Database). The thing you will note immediately is that to obtain such lenght, skull size must be different from what they should be. According to published maximum sizes, Tyrannosaurus rex (FMNH PR2081, a.k.a. Sue) is 50ft/12.8m long (but you must have a 162cm skull, and not 150cm as published); Spinosaurus (MNSM V4047) is 56ft/17m long (but with a 200cm skull and not 175cm as published); Giganotosaurus (MUCPv-95) is 43ft/13.2m long (with a 162cm skull and not 195 as published.

In Figure 2 you can see them scaled according to the maximum published skull size. Tyrannosaurus (FMNH PR2081) has a 150cm skull and then "shrinks" to 39ft/11.9m; Spinosaurus (MNSM V4047) should have a 175cm skull and then "shrinks" to 49ft/14.9m; Giganotosaurus (MUCPv-95) should have a 195cm skull and then "grows" to 49ft/15m.

What have we learned? We learned that there's something "wrong" with the published sizes. Perhaps because maximum lenght is published as a simple addition of skull lenght plus vertebrae lenght, without taking account of the natural spinal curvy shape... bah.
I'll let you decide where's the truth. If you whant you can try a scale by yourself: look for a side view photo of a skeleton (the most complete skeleton you can find, don't use casts or sculptures) and do what I've done with a grid like this. You can do this even with skeletals.
The results will surprise you for sure.

In Figure 3 you can see a "parade" of Spinosaurs, scaled according to different estimations. In white the estimation made by Therrien & Henderson for MNSM V4047, that shrinks the skull to 150cm and the body to 41ft/12.5m; in orange as in Fig.2; in blue as in Fig.1; in green the very unlikely estimation published for the Tucson Rock Show specimen, which should be 84ft/25.5m long with a 10ft/3m long skull.

In Figure 4 a Tyrannosaurus parade. In white scaled according to the 139cm skull of the FMNH PR2081, which should be 36ft/10.9m long; in orange as in Fig.2; in blue as in "Biggest, Baddest - Revised" (Link) ; in red as in Fig.1; in green scaled up according to another very unlikely estimation published for FMNH PR2081, which should be 51ft/15.5m long...

~ Kronosaurus82

I really don't like this one...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dinosaur Video & Image Gallery · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find this theme on Forum2Forum.net & ZNR exclusively.