Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tyrannotitan v Oxalaia
Topic Started: Aug 26 2012, 12:04 AM (5,342 Views)
Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tyrannotitan chubutensis
Tyrannotitan is a genus of huge bipedal carnivorous dinosaur of the carcharodontosaurid family from the Aptian stage of the early Cretaceous period, discovered in Argentina. It is closely related to other giant predators like Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus. Its fearsome appearance is reflected in the meaning of its name, "Tyrant titan". Tyrannotitan chubutensis was described by Fernando E. Novas, Silvina de Valais, Pat Vickers-Rich, and Tom Rich in 2005. The fossils were found at La Juanita Farm, 28 kilometres (17 mi) northeast of Paso de Indios, Chubut Province, Argentina. They are believed to have been from the Cerro Castaño Member, Cerro Barcino Formation (Aptian stage) around 112.2 - 121 million years ago. The length of the animal is estimated to be on average at 12.2 metres (40 ft).
Little information has yet been released about Tyrannotitan. Only a very brief description of the fossils has been published (four pages). The teeth are less blade-like than those of its kin, and possess odd, lumpy denticles (there is a barely distinguishable groove in the center, dividing each denticle into two parts). This site shows that Tyrannotitan could have reached about 13 metres and weigh up to around 7 tonnes.

Posted Image

Oxalaia quilombensis
Oxalaia (a reference to the African deity Oxalá) is a genus of carnivorous theropod. It is a spinosaurine spinosaurid which lived during the late Cretaceous (early Cenomanian stage, about 98 mya) in what is now Brazil. Oxalaia is known from the holotype MN 6117-V, fused premaxillae of a very large individual and from the referred fragment MN 6119-V, an isolated and incomplete left maxilla, which were found on Cajual Island, Maranhão State of northeastern Brazil. Fossils of Oxalaia were recovered in 2004 from the Laje do Coringa locality of the Alcântara Formation, part of the Itapecuru Group of the São Luís Basin. Besides these bone fragments, numerous spinosaurid teeth had earlier been reported from the site. The genus was named by Alexander Wilhelm Armin Kellner, Sergio A.K. Azevedeo, Elaine B. Machado, Luciana B. Carvalho and Deise D.R. Henriques in 2011 and the type species is Oxalaia quilombensis. The specific name quilombensis refers to the quilombo settlements, such as on Cajual Island, which were founded by escaped slaves. Estimates suggest that it was 12 to 14 metres (39 to 46 ft) in length and 5 to 7 tonnes (5.5 to 7.7 short tons) in weight —- it is the largest theropod known from Brazil and the eighth officially named species of theropod from Brazil.

Posted Image

Taipan

Tyrannotitan v Oxalaia.

Edited by Wolf Eagle, Aug 26 2012, 12:08 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Carcharadon
Member Avatar
Shark Toothed Reptile
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tyrannotitan should take this in my opinion
It has a deadlier bite and is more heavily built
But Oxalaia's size advantage makes it a difficult task

Megafelis Fatalis
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tyrannotitan wins IMO
Bite - Bulk - Weight

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
Tyrannotitan, they are pretty much at the same size, but Tyrannotitan has the razor sharp teeth and gape to win this battle.

Wolf Eagle
Member Avatar
M E G A P H Y S E T E R
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think the Tyrannotitan would win here. It's has the more powerful bite.

SpinoInWonderland
The madness has come back...
A 7-tonne Tyrannotitan wins more often than not, the 5-tonne ones lose more often though

Oxalaia vs 7-tonne Tyrannotitan = 60/40 in favor of Tyrannotitan
Oxalaia vs 5-tonne Tyrannotitan = 60/40 in favor of Oxalaia

Fragillimus335
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Tyrannotitan slightly, 65%

FireCrown
Felines,Ursids,and Canid
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I say tyrannotitan i could picture it in my head running but Oxalaia ( Spino ) i can't

theropod
Member Avatar
palaeontology, open source and survival enthusiast
what 7 tonne tyrannotitan? that´s far too much for a 12,2m animal! imo it would be very close. Assuming it´s similar to spinosaurus, oxalaia would have a serious bite force.

similar to Tarbosaurus vs oxalaia imo, but Tyrannotitan would fare a bit better due to it´s better meat slicing adaptions and wider gape

EDIT:
Posted Image
Edited by theropod, Aug 30 2012, 07:45 PM.

SpinoInWonderland
The madness has come back...
theropod
Aug 29 2012, 12:48 AM
what 7 tonne tyrannotitan?
It's from here: http://palaeos.com/vertebrates/theropoda/carcharodontosaurinae.html#Tyrannotitan

Quote:

Tyrannotitan chubutensis Novas et al., 2005

Range: Aptian of Argentina

Phylogeny: Carcharodontosaurinae : (Carcharodontosaurus + Giganotosaurini) + *

Size: length 13 meters. weight 7 tonnes

Comments: huge carcharodontosaur, closely related to but somewhat more primitive that Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus. Rather tall vertebral spines over the tail MAK120302

theropod
Member Avatar
palaeontology, open source and survival enthusiast
ahh, that´s where the myth of Tyrannotitan being larger than Mapusarurus came from! A source misunderstanding the wikipage...pathetic

Teratophoneus
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tyrannotitan win. It was larger, bulkier and more suitable to the fight.

Teratophoneus
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

My scale. I don't found skeletals, so I go with silouhettes.

Godzillasaurus
Reptile King
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tyrannotitan wins

retic
Member Avatar
snake and dinosaur enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
tyrannotitan wins. it has better weaponry and is more robust.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dinosaur Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply