Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
Rhomaleosaurus 8 (44.4%)
Ginsu Shark 10 (55.6%)
Total Votes: 18
Rhomaleosaurus spp. v Cretoxyrhina mantelli
Topic Started: Aug 31 2012, 09:16 PM (3,127 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Rhomaleosaurus spp.
Rhomaleosaurus (meaning "strong lizard") is an extinct genus of Early Jurassic (Toarcian age, about 183 to 175.6 million years ago) rhomaleosaurid pliosauroid known from Northamptonshire and from Yorkshire of the United Kingdom. It was first named by Harry Seeley in 1874 and the type species is Rhomaleosaurus cramptoni. It was one of the earliest and large marine reptile predators which hunted in the seas of Mesozoic era. Its length was about 7 m (20 ft) long. Like other pliosaurs, Rhomaleosaurus fed on ichthyosaurs, ammonites and other plesiosaurs.

Posted Image

Cretoxyrhina mantelli
Cretoxyrhina mantelli, the "Jaws of the Cretaceous", was a shark that lived in the Cretaceous period in the in the Western Interior Sea, about 100 million years ago. C. mantelli grew up to 24 feet (7 meters) long, and is known from several nearly complete skeletal fossils. Its name means "Mantell's chalk-sharp-nose".According to Shimada, associated fossil remains with evidence of digestive damage suggest that probable fish prey of C. mantelli included the massively jawed, 14-foot (4.25-metre) long Xiphactinus, which resembled a dagger-toothed tarpon and was a powerful predator in its own right. Based on a few tooth-scarred, associated mosasaur vertebrae, Shimada suggests that C. mantelli also tackled these 10- to 40-foot (3- to 12- metre) long marine reptiles of the late Cretaceous. While it is tempting to imagine titanic undersea battles between a giant shark and a sea dragon, it seems far more likely that Cretoxyrhina more commonly fed on large pelagic bony fishes, taking juvenile mosasaurs when the opportunity arose, and perhaps even dining on the occasional long-necked plesiosaur. Shimada concluded that Cretoxyrhina mantelli occupied a top predatory niche comparable to that of the modern White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias). Despite its fearsome size and armament, C. mantelli did not long survive, becoming extinct by about 90 million years ago.

Posted Image

Dark allosaurus
Aug 31 2012, 06:39 AM
Cretoxyrhina vs Rhomaleosaurus
Edited by Taipan, Dec 12 2015, 10:50 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

theropod
Member Avatar
palaeontology, open source and survival enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They both could have grown somewhat larger than 7m. i remember forrest publishing on an 8m rhomaleosaur supposedly Rhomaleosaurus itself, and I even heard of 9m somewhere. Siverson spoke of Cretoxirhina possibly reaching 9 as well.
this is basically a fight between a bulky crocodile with a larger head and longer neck that is adapted for swift locomotion in water and great maneuverability and an oversized gws at lenght parity. I´ll wait for more comments until I give an edge to one of them

SpinoInWonderland
The madness has come back...
R h o m a l e o s a u r u s
W i n s

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
I think if the 9m figure is accurate, the shark will win, otherwise, I'd say it's 50/50.
theropod

an oversized gws at lenght parity

It might be a lamnid, but I don't think you can say that already, it has clear differences:

theropod
Member Avatar
palaeontology, open source and survival enthusiast
Well, the differences are mere speculation based on the drawing, aren´t they?

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
Not sure, but I think the shark wins.

Carcharadon
Member Avatar
Shark Toothed Reptile
50/50 for now

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ginsu shark wins size avantage,weight
Rhomaleosaurus stronger bite

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
Size advantage and weight are the same.

Grey
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm not certain that Rhomaleosaurus had a bite force comparable to a bigger-headed, similar-sized pliosaur like a Liopleurodon species.

It would be a great fight, but I give this to the Ginsu sharks, from which the level of sheer agression and power is known and could maybe reach longer size, which a presumably higher body mass.

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Friend of the fish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ginsu shark takes this imo, it's bulkier and has superior jaws.

Vivyx
I love felines, birds and arthropods
Not sure, but I think the shark takes this. Faster, more agile, more superior jaws and is probably more bulkier.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BITEFORCE MASTER
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Normally the Ginsu swims with a pack so the pliosaur had the advantage here :D :D :unsure:

NeoNotoungulata
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Rhomaleosaurus the pliosauroid known from Northamptonshire, should be able to take this , more superior jaws

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply