Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Asian Elephants stronger than African Elephants?!?!
Topic Started: Oct 5 2012, 10:27 PM (6,483 Views)
Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Strength
Asian ElephantAfrican Elephant
Claimed to be strongerNot as powerful as the Asian elephant, despite it’s larger size.

I got this from here. Is this true?! It would surprise me very much if so.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Godzillasaurus
Reptile King
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's interesting. But notice how it only said "claimed". I think it is claimed because Asian elephants are commonly used by humans to lift very heavy things. Why would it be stronger than its larger cousin?

ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No study or test has been done to prove that. I don't know how anybody would come to that conclusion unless their joking.

Elephantus
Member Avatar
Tusker
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Asian Elephant does seem have proportionately shorter legs and a more "stocky" build, which MAY give it a strength advantage at parity (and this is still unproven).

But at average weights, the African is certainly stronger, at least in absolute terms.

Ursus panthera
Member Avatar
Artiodactyla
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It is a matter of opinion i believe an african elephant is the stronger.

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Certainly at this point it is a matter of opinion which is stronger at equal weights. I simply was stating related anecdotes from a person who worked elephants for many, many years and continues to do so.

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Well, the Asian Elephant has a shorter and stockier build, so it may be stronger.

Vodmeister
Member Avatar
Ultimate Predator
That's just an opinion/guesswork from the author of that website. That being said, at parity, I believe the Asian Elephant is slightly stronger than it's cousin because it appears more stocky build IMO. However, at average weights, the African Elephant is obviously stronger due its larger size.

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Asin elephants seem more impressive in the forequarters to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

theropod
Member Avatar
palaeontology, open source and survival enthusiast
to me they both seem roughly equal at parity. maybe that´s just a myth because of asian elephants being domesticated and thus favoured by humans (like those guys who think their dfog could beat everything)

Neofelis
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
You should probably post that elephant comparison in the video image gallery.

Verdugo
Member Avatar
Large Carnivores Enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting but it should have more studies done about this

moldovan0731
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Only at parity, at average sizes African elephant is obviously stronger.

Molosser
Member Avatar
Ursids, Canids, and amphycionids
If there's really a difference, it's pretty much negligible.

Sam1
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree with Elephantus. In absolute terms, the bush elephant should almost certainly be stronger, but in relative terms(per mass strength) the Asian could indeed be stronger.

The thing with African elephant bulls is that an average one can appear somewhat leaner and not as muscular as typical fully grown Asian, but some big specimens are an absolute powerhouses far beyond any elephant from Asia.
Such bulls were obviously not domesticated/trained for work so even the most experienced people can't compare their strength with a working Asian elephant, but they can break massive trees with
little effort.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoological Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: