Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Barred owl takes cat
Topic Started: Oct 30 2012, 05:35 PM (4,307 Views)
Dexterous
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
’’Big appetite: Swooping in, an owl is caught wide-eyed clutching a domestic

cat in its talons as seen in this photo taken in Minnesota’’

Posted Image

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224445/Pictured-The-astonishing-moment-barred-owl-snatched-domestic-cat-meal.html

I didn't really know Barred owls are capable of taking such large prey. The fate of the cat is unknown...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow..

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Anyone suspicious?

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What exactly do you find suspicious Taipan?

What I find weird is a healthy cat being in the wilderness.
Edited by 221Extra, Oct 30 2012, 06:18 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dexterous
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
The owl is holding the cat with only one foot...

The cat is almost the same size as the owl, or maybe even larger...

Barred owls take much smaller/weaker prey...

It's all over the web however...

Edited by Dexterous, Oct 30 2012, 06:02 PM.

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for pointing that out I now see the talon/toe not on the cat.

My hunch tells me the owl dropped the cat.

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
An eagle owl could kill a cat, but barred owls never take big prey. It may just be the cat returning to the ground after jumping at the owl.

221Extra
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hunting & Food: A very opportunistic hunter, a Barred Owl can sometimes be seen hunting before dark. This typically occurs during the nesting season or on dark and cloudy days. A Barred Owl will use a perch, from where it dives upon its prey - meadow voles are its main prey, followed by shrews and deer mice. Other mammals include rats, squirrels, young rabbits, bats, moles, opossums, mink, and weasels.

http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Strix&species=varia

Granted they occasionally kill possum, a small cat isn't out of the possibility, tho I still stand by that cat getting away as the owl didn't have a good hold & the size of that cat might have been pushing the owl's limits.
Edited by 221Extra, Oct 30 2012, 06:46 PM.

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
k9boy
Oct 30 2012, 06:30 PM
An eagle owl could kill a cat, but barred owls never take big prey. It may just be the cat returning to the ground after jumping at the owl.
Indeed you cant see if the Owl has a hold of the cat or not.

Also the owls tail feathers are in front of the cat, if the owl was holding the cat then wouldnt the tail feathers be behind the cat as well?
Edited by FelinePowah, Oct 30 2012, 07:00 PM.

ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Taipan
Oct 30 2012, 05:50 PM
Anyone suspicious?
I think it's a fake story. The link claims it repeatedly picked up and dropped the cat to "stun it", then devoured the cat living nothing. It doesn't even sound legit.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

221extra
Oct 30 2012, 05:56 PM
What exactly do you find suspicious Taipan?

The size discrepancy. Owls can kill large animals, but they tend to be the Eagle Owls. Someone also just happened to be standing there in the middle of the night with a camera in position to take a photo of an event that what would have occured in the time frame of a second. Camera trap photo maybe could record such an event, but this does not appear to be taken by a camera trap ie. no date/time etc.

But if its legit, what an an amazing pic.  :o

FelinePowah
Member Avatar
Pussy Lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ImperialDino
Oct 30 2012, 07:13 PM
Taipan
Anyone suspicious?
I think it's a fake story. The link claims it repeatedly picked up and dropped the cat to "stun it", then devoured the cat living nothing. It doesn't even sound legit.
ha ha yeah after reading that its sounds like bull crap and why isnt there more pictures?
I loved the part where it says dropped the cat to stun it, errrm cats land on there feet!
Edited by FelinePowah, Oct 30 2012, 08:03 PM.

kiba
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Taipan
Anyone suspicious?
I think is fake. When a I was a teenager I used to hang out with a friend, from the back of his house in the second floor you could see an abandoned house with a big garden, one day, a bird of prey appeared there, perched on one of the walls of the garden, we thought it was hurt, because it won't fly. My friend dropped some pieces of meat at it, but we don't know if it actually ate. One afternoon, a cat was crossing the garden unaware of the raptor presence: next thing, the bird launched itself to the cat and killed it. A week later the bird flew away. I identified the bird using a book as a red-tailed hawk. Red-tailed hawks are larger than barred owls, and when this hawk caught the cat, never tried to fly with it, it just ate it in the spot.

CandidPets
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
barred owls dont go after cats usually unless super super desperate great horned owls will

owls can lift more heavy weight lb for lb than an eagle or a hawk

Sicilianu
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like a cat that jumped in front of a captive barred owl to me....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Video & Image Gallery · Next Topic »
Add Reply