Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Most Overrated and Underrated Animals II
Topic Started: Jan 23 2013, 11:07 AM (40,865 Views)
Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
New year, new thread and new opinions. The last thread trailed over with spam, plus it had gotten quite large.

I'll start:

Underrated:

Canids - Specifically smaller canids, such as coyotes and AWD. Some domestic breeds such as pitbull types and mastiffs.

Ungulates - I certainly believe they can hold their own in some situations. Prey/predator situations aren't always in favor of the predator.

Overrated:

Felids - Specifically those who specialize in small or intermediate prey. Such as bobcats, lynxes, caracals and snow leopards.

Canids - I feel as though wolves, especially the largest of canis lupus are overrated more often these days. Also it's a double edge sword with some domestic breeds, but a bobcat or lynx is certainly within their abilities.

Birds - 2012 was quite the year for birds, more specifically eagles. Quite a bit of people genuinely believed eagles could take out animals like bobcats, coyotes, wolves, puma and what have you.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Taipan's probably going to lock this thread too due to what happened with the previous one.

Carcharadon
Member Avatar
Shark Toothed Reptile
Oh please not again.

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Drom King
Underrated~
Monkeys and baboons~ Just because they are.primates doesn't mean they can't kill a similar sized canid or felid or hyena
Birds of prey~ They won't always automatically be a light weight against say a bobcat or small dog in ground combat, though you will never see me back one over anything larger than a honey badger
Komodo dragon~ This was evident from how people thought three otter could overkill one, and how most think they are pathetic in comparison to similar sized mammalian predators. This isn't true, they are just as formidable
Squid~ just read brolys post

Overrated~
Cats~ Their claws aren't razor blades and they don't have hulk strength or sonic the hedgehog speed, their hunting skills aren't as godly as most think either as they have lower kill rates than Dogs much smaller than them! Yes even the prideful lions!
Bears~ Mythical paw swipes and hulk smashing strength, nuff said
Otter~ I am seriously hearing people thinking they attack black caiman and kill komodo dragons!

Couldn't help it :P
Edited by Black Ice, Jan 23 2013, 11:17 AM.

Carcharadon
Member Avatar
Shark Toothed Reptile
Well i guess, i make my list.

Overrated:
Bears - people think they have the smashing strength of hulk
Cats - need i explain?
Eland - ursus panthera
Chimpanzee - they are only twice as strong as men, but people believe they are more than that. Also people even think it would beat a wolf and even has a chance against a leopard.

Underrated:
Allosaurus - haters believe that its not a fighter because it was claimed to have a weak bite force, but it doesn't matter, and i have already explained this before in other threads.
Komodo dragon - i have seen people think they are so weak and pathetic and cannot fight similar sized carnivores, but they can be just as formidable
Spinosaurus - it is always called a weak sardine eater, when it was really quite a capable fighter. Being a fish eater does not lower its fighting ability, just looks at bears.
Squid - broly
Edited by Carcharadon, Feb 15 2013, 11:58 AM.

Varanus
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Underrated- Komodo Dragons. They are a species in trouble no doubt, but they have some adaptations which go unappreciated, like parthenogenesis.

Overrated-Roaches. These disgusting, little, bugs are strong survivors, but they have limits. They aren't as resistant to radiation as people say they are and I have yet to see one as far north as where I live.

SpinoInWonderland
The madness has come back...
Overrated:
Ngandong Tiger

Underrated:
Nanotyrannus

Superpredator
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
brolyeuphyfusion
Jan 23 2013, 12:19 PM
Overrated:
Ngandong Tiger

Underrated:
Nanotyrannus
rolleyes Show me 5 people that overrate Ngandong Tiger & 5 that underrate Nanotyrannus.

Fishfreak
Member Avatar
Friend of the fish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Overrated: Goliath tigerfish, most individuals are under 1m in length, anything above is rare, and the picture shown was of a 1.5m which is exceptional

MightyMaus
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Underrated-herbivores!

SpinoInWonderland
The madness has come back...
MightyMaus
Jan 23 2013, 04:49 PM
Underrated-herbivores!
I couldn't agree more...people just can't get over the carnivores...

MightyMaus
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
brolyeuphyfusion
Jan 23 2013, 04:57 PM
MightyMaus
Jan 23 2013, 04:49 PM
Underrated-herbivores!
I couldn't agree more...people just can't get over the carnivores...
yes ;)

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Underrated: Leopards, Red foxes, Cheetahs, eurasian badgers, AWD's, bobcats, caracals.

Overrated: DOMESTIC DOGS. (It really makes me laugh when people think they can beat animals like cougars and leopards) Tigers, Raptors.

Gregoire
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Underrated:
1.Small Cats
2.Hyenas
3.Elephants

Overrated:
1.Domestic Dogs
2.Bears
3.Mustelids
4. Birds of Prey

DinosaurMichael
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
Guess I'll list mine then.

Overrated:
1. All Cats except for the Cheetah
2. Tyrannosaurus Rex
3. Orca
4. Liopleurodon
5. Birds of Prey

Underrated:
1. Gorilla
2. Cheetah
3. Pythons and Anacondas
4. Monitor Lizards
5. Spinosaurus
Edited by DinosaurMichael, Jan 23 2013, 09:49 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoological Debate & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: