Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Coyote 13 (68.4%)
Boxer 6 (31.6%)
Total Votes: 19
Coyote v Boxer
Topic Started: Feb 5 2013, 09:54 PM (3,698 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Coyote - Canis latrans
The coyote (Canis latrans), also known as the American jackal or the prairie wolf, is a species of canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada. It occurs as far north as Alaska and all but the northernmost portions of Canada. The color of the coyote's pelt varies from grayish-brown to yellowish-gray on the upper parts, while the throat and belly tend to have a buff or white color. The forelegs, sides of the head, muzzle and paws are reddish-brown. The back has tawny-colored underfur and long, black-tipped guard hairs that form a black dorsal stripe and a dark cross on the shoulder area. The black-tipped tail has a scent gland located on its dorsal base. Coyotes shed once a year, beginning in May with light hair loss, ending in July after heavy shedding. The ears are proportionately large in relation to the head, while the feet are relatively small in relation to the rest of the body. Certain experts have noted the shape of a domestic dog's brain case is closer to the coyote's in shape than that of a wolf's. Mountain-dwelling coyotes tend to be dark-furred, while desert coyotes tend to be more light brown in color. Coyotes typically grow to 30–34 in (76–86 cm) in length, not counting a tail of 12–16 in (30–41 cm), stand about 23–26 in (58–66 cm) at the shoulder and, on average, weigh from 15–46 lb (6.8–21 kg). Northern coyotes are typically larger than southern subspecies, with the largest coyotes on record weighing 74.75 pounds (33.91 kg) and measuring 1.75 m (5.7 ft) in total length.

Posted Image

Boxer
Bred in Germany, the Boxer is a breed of stocky, medium-sized, short-haired dogs. The coat is smooth and tight-fitting; colors are fawn or brindled, with or without white markings, which may cover the entire body. Boxers are brachycephalic (they have broad, short skulls), and have a square muzzle, mandibular prognathism (an underbite), very strong jaws and a powerful bite ideal for hanging on to large prey. The Boxer was bred from the Old English Bulldog and the now extinct Bullenbeisser and is part of the Molosser group.
Weight Male 66–70 lb (30–32 kg)
Female 55–60 lb (25–27 kg)
Height Male 23-25 ins. (57–63 cms.)
Female 21.5-23.5 ins. (53–60 cms.)

Posted Image

Full Throttle
Feb 5 2013, 04:38 AM
Boxer vs coyote please taipan[/quote
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, the coyote is smaller on average, but most of the modern boxers aren't fighters. It doesn't know how to kill, and it has a deformed, nonfunctional skull.

Posted Image

The coyote has a much better skull, IMO. And it, unlike the boxer, would target the throat.

Posted Image

The coyote has a better chance to succeed here than in the "Coyote v Siberian Husky" topic, in my opinion.

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mauro20
Feb 5 2013, 10:04 PM
Well, the coyote is smaller on average, but most of the modern boxers aren't fighters. It doesn't know how to kill, and it has a deformed, nonfunctional skull.

Posted Image

The coyote has a much better skull, IMO. And it, unlike the boxer, would target the throat.

Posted Image

The coyote has a better chance to succeed here than in the "Coyote v Siberian Husky" topic, in my opinion.
I agree, but I still see the boxer being to powerful for a western coyote if it decides to fight. Boxers actually still have very powerful bites but they almost have no teeth and a deformed jaw. 100 years ago, I don't think the bower would have to much problems. While todays boxers don't have very dangerous weapons, they are very good at defending themselves with their front legs and keeping the opponent at bay.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's sad to see the breeders genetically destroying such awesome dogs.

ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
A determined Boxer beats the Coyote. A half-assed Boxer may take a bloody beating. I still don't see how a Boxer would "die" at the hands of a Coyote.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ImperialDino
Feb 5 2013, 11:55 PM
A determined Boxer beats the Coyote. A half-assed Boxer may take a bloody beating. I still don't see how a Boxer would "die" at the hands of a Coyote.
Well, there is an account of a coyote attacking and killing a 100 lb female rottweiler. I remember a report of a coyote killing a german shepherd, but I can't find this anymore.

Paul
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Coyote wins IMO

ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mauro20
Feb 6 2013, 12:20 AM
ImperialDino
Feb 5 2013, 11:55 PM
Well, there is an account of a coyote attacking and killing a 100 lb female rottweiler. I remember a report of a coyote killing a german shepherd, but I can't find this anymore.
The Rottweiler died of a heart attack. It was an old dog. There's also a similar account of a Coyote "killing" a Great Dane. We're talking about a healthy adult male Boxer not a sleeping, old Rottweiller.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The coyote was dominating the fight, though. And the owner interrupted the fight. Also, how do you know that the dog was old? Even relatively young dogs can suffer heart attacks, if they have a genetic propensity to that.

Vita
Member Avatar
Cave Canem
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mauro20
Feb 6 2013, 10:11 AM
The coyote was dominating the fight, though. And the owner interrupted the fight. Also, how do you know that the dog was old? Even relatively young dogs can suffer heart attacks, if they have a genetic propensity to that.
Posted Image

Quote:

WEYMOUTH, Mass. - A coyote is on the attack in Weymouth. Its target: a rottweiler.

Ralph Tarina put his pup on a lease, and a minute later one gutsy coyote attacked.

Tarina's dog Daisy is far from dainty. She's a 100-pound rottweiler. The average coyote doesn't even weigh half that much.

While the dog and coyote began to wrestle on the ground, Tarina grabbed the first weapon he could find.

When that failed, he grabbed a knife and flashlight from the kitchen. Once Tarina came out of the house, the coyote looked at him.

He said Daisy fought back, but he guesses not fiercely enough.

Finally, Tarina and Daisy got away and inside the house. And then Daisy collapsed because of a heart attack.

The coyote killed Daisy, and neighbors worry it will strike again.

Tarina wants all Weymouth pet owners to know how bold the predator can be.

Wildlife experts said to help keep coyotes out of the backyard, people should keep trashcans secure and birdfeeders clear

http://www4.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO52127/

Here's a video of a Rottweiler chasing off a coyote that attacked a small dog (look at how fast the coyote charged, damn!)

Edited by Vita, Feb 6 2013, 10:21 AM.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, sorry. I didn't know that because my source was quite vague.

Catboy
Member Avatar
Winter is coming...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The coyote wins IMO. They both really weigh the same, it's just that the boxer has an unimpressive skull. The yote however is more aggressive, faster and has more impressive jaws.

Boxer skull: http://www.worldwideboxer.com/graphics/boxerskull_small.jpg

Coyote skull: http://www.azdrybones.com/images/BlackBackedJackal.jpg

Coyote 8/10. It wins fairly easily.
Edited by Catboy, Apr 5 2013, 05:56 AM.

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Average yote vs average pet boxer could go either way, but I lean more towards the boxer. I would also like to add that though the boxer has been deformed and bastardized by show breeders, they have not all had their fight bred out of them.

Boxers are still used as catch dogs, a job which requires strength,speed, endurance and a good solid hard grip, apparently these boxers tick all the right boxes. According to www.easttexasboardogforums.com user, boarwild: "have been breeding boxer for about 6 years now, and i never put boxer and hog hunting as two in one. I never had hog dogs until a couple of months ago, and when one of my training pigs got out of the pen i let my 5 year old female boxer out. her and my 14 week old 1/2 plott 1/2 bmc caught that pig. She was 100% and never looked back. now i have trouble with her trying to dig out to get to the pigs. i can't take her hunting becuase she is worth to much to me for my breeding, but i can see where boxers could be amazing hog dogs. i actually use her to trian pups now, of course on small pigs that she can't get hurt by. The crazy thing is she had never been around a pig before that day".
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, boxers also compete in personal protection and schutzhund which obviously requires strength, agility, aggression and a good hard bite among other things.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lycaon
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
A decent boxer should be able to beat a coyote on average due to its larger size.
If the dogs were the same weight I do believe the superior weaponry of the wild canid would give it the win, but not after recieving a good beating from the dog.

quality boxers are very impressive animals. Even over done pet boxers display an athletic physique typical of this breed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A little clip of a Schutzhund boxer bitch

k9boy
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
50/50. The coyote could tear the boxer to shreds with its far superior jaws, but the boxer could easily overpower and rag the coyote about.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: