Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best guard/watch dogs (top 10)
Topic Started: Mar 24 2013, 02:44 AM (11,198 Views)
pars
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Do we have breeds that were bred just for being watch dog? And if we will make a list dear friends which breeds are the best? Top 10 for example...

Doberman, Rottweiler, Pit bull, American bulldog, german shepherd...LGds...some mastifs...what do you think
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
pars
Mar 24 2013, 02:44 AM
Do we have breeds that were bred just for being watch dog? And if we will make a list dear friends which breeds are the best? Top 10 for example...

Doberman, Rottweiler, Pit bull, American bulldog, german shepherd...LGds...some mastifs...what do you think
I don't know if you define "watch" and "guard" dog differently, I class a watch dog as a dog that barks at intruders but does not attack them, whilst a guard dog barks and attacks if they enter it's territory, personally I'd prefer a guard dog, if you want breeds specifically created to warn of intruders try Schipperke.

There are tons of dogs that were bred specifically for guarding, they all have the same sort of territorial and protective instincts, some are a bit sharper than other breeds, but if I were going to get a guard dog for my property I would buy the biggest, most intimidating dog I could find and just let it roam around and not punish it for being territoriality aggressive, obviously you can buy security trained dogs that will attack on command and pin intruders down, but I personally wouldn't bother buying one of those dogs when I can just get a bigger, naturally territorial breed with no specific training, a dog doesn't need to be highly trained to be intimidating, it just needs to look aesthetically intimidating and act aggressive.

So in no particular order because they can all do the job about as well as each other, the breeds I would consider if I wanted a guard dog.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image (any big mastiff would do the trick, but from my experience bullmastiffs make great guards and are sharper than neo's or English mastiffs)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Those are my picks but there's absolutely loads of breeds to choose from if you want a property guardian, virtually every breed of mastiff and LGD has what it takes to defend a property from intruders, the sheer size and spectacle of these breeds alone would dissuade most burglars from entering, but if the dog was barking.snarling and obviously aggressive few would dare enter.

Bandog
Member Avatar
Everything else is just a dog.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's a vague question.
Is it man stopping ability, personal protection, livestock guarding or property guarding?
My pick would be obviously biased but still, can't argue with the opinions of people who work the dogs.

On bandogs:
"Lets put it this way. The Bandog is the only working breed in the world that was bred specifically for combat against a man. Don't even compare them to some of the other working breeds. This is a fighting dog. No comparison. I've tested them all. I have an open invitation to anyone to come over and work my dogs if I can work theirs. And don't wear those flimsy bite suits either. I design my own bite suit with extra padding and they still hurt. They are the most punishing dog on the planet. Period."

"Many people believe these dogs to be the perfect protection dog and working class guard dogs"
http://www.ibcdogs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18&Itemid=30

"those familiar with a well bred Bandog often develop the opinion of it being the perfect protection dog"
Wikipedia.

Ultimately though I agree with full throttle, there are many breeds who will do an admirable job and distinguishing between them is too hard. There are good and bad examples of all the breeds.

pars
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Let me clarify the question. If we will make a distinction between watch dog and guard dog. I am wondering the best guard dogs. To guard the property, but not to give serious damage to intruders.

In this sense, dogs having fighting dogs/catch dog origins may be dangerous for the intruders I think? Am I right...dogs like dogo argentino, APBT, cane corso, toso, alono, dogo canario, ambull etc...

What do you think about neopolitan mastiff, bullmastif, dog de bordeaux...are they less dangerous for an intruder?

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
pars
Mar 24 2013, 07:03 AM
Let me clarify the question. If we will make a distinction between watch dog and guard dog. I am wondering the best guard dogs. To guard the property, but not to give serious damage to intruders.

In this sense, dogs having fighting dogs/catch dog origins may be dangerous for the intruders I think? Am I right...dogs like dogo argentino, APBT, cane corso, toso, alono, dogo canario, ambull etc...

What do you think about neopolitan mastiff, bullmastif, dog de bordeaux...are they less dangerous for an intruder?
Well, a dogs original purpose doesn't really mean it will be a bad guard dog, German shepherds and rottweilers were both herding breeds and now they're one of the most popular guarding dogs in the world.

And I used to own a bullmastiff so I can tell you that they are great guards, my female used to bark at anyone who came near our house, whether she knew them or not, I trained her not to bite people and taught her to be friendly with guests, but I could never train her to stop barking at people who came to the house, it was just her instinct, bullmastiffs are very powerful dogs and they can put a man on the ground very quickly, neopolitan mastiff and dogue de bordeaux are just as big and strong as bullmastiffs, though from what I've heard they are more calm than the bullmastiff, still though I've seen both breeds used as protection dogs so obviously they still have some drive, and being mastiffs I'm sure there territorial enough to guard property with no special training.

If what your asking is, which breed will cause the least damage to an intruder, again any large, powerful breed whether it's a german shepherd or a st.bernard can inflict very serious wounds on people, what the dog was bred for doesn't mean anything if it attacks, it's the dogs size and temperament that dictates how much damage it can do.
Edited by Full Throttle, Mar 24 2013, 07:17 AM.

Reptilian
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I currently own a English Mastiff and a Rottie. Both were trained by a good friend of mine up in Northern Ontario. He used to train police dogs back in the 70s and I asked him if he can train by dogs. He did a fantastic job BTW.

Both of my dogs have two different purposes. To put in short.. The Rottie is a guard dog. On command he would rush an intruder if I say so. Never needed him to do so however. While on walks he is extremely alert. He gets a little edgy when other dogs and strangers walk by, but a good pat and rub down makes him calm down. In the house he walks around a lot. He'll usually relax for a few minutes, gets up, and walks around the house. He'll then find a new spot to relax for a few minutes. He goes on daily walks. Usually in the early morning when I go for my jogs. Not a lot of people are out and about during this time.

The Mastiff on the other hand is more of a watch dog/guard dog hybrid. If I can call him that.
He will bark quietly when somebody knocks on the door, but quickly stops if he recognizes the person. When he barks loudly however. You better be paying attention because he will be trying to tell you something.
On walks he will always walk beside us. Never infront or behind us. He hates it when people touch us.
An example. A friend puts his hand on my shoulder. He will bark and growl like there was no tomorrow.
In the backyard is where his guard dog instincts over take him. He will bark at anyone who walks by. It takes me to say, "Zeus! Pare com isso, maluco!" Once he hears his name being called he'll run over waiting for his pets. lol
He is more of a "touch my owner and you'll pay" sort of dog. He is extremely attached to us.
I will hate the day when someone decides to attack me or my family..

--Manual Silva.
Edited by Reptilian, Mar 24 2013, 08:29 AM.

tigerburningbright
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
What about a Boerboel??? They make great guard dogs right??

Presa Canario is another one right??? Presa's seem like badass dogs

Arovinrac
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reptilian
Mar 24 2013, 08:29 AM
I currently own a English Mastiff and a Rottie. Both were trained by a good friend of mine up in Northern Ontario. He used to train police dogs back in the 70s and I asked him if he can train by dogs. He did a fantastic job BTW.

Both of my dogs have two different purposes. To put in short.. The Rottie is a guard dog. On command he would rush an intruder if I say so. Never needed him to do so however. While on walks he is extremely alert. He gets a little edgy when other dogs and strangers walk by, but a good pat and rub down makes him calm down. In the house he walks around a lot. He'll usually relax for a few minutes, gets up, and walks around the house. He'll then find a new spot to relax for a few minutes. He goes on daily walks. Usually in the early morning when I go for my jogs. Not a lot of people are out and about during this time.

The Mastiff on the other hand is more of a watch dog/guard dog hybrid. If I can call him that.
He will bark quietly when somebody knocks on the door, but quickly stops if he recognizes the person. When he barks loudly however. You better be paying attention because he will be trying to tell you something.
On walks he will always walk beside us. Never infront or behind us. He hates it when people touch us.
An example. A friend puts his hand on my shoulder. He will bark and growl like there was no tomorrow.
In the backyard is where his guard dog instincts over take him. He will bark at anyone who walks by. It takes me to say, "Zeus! Pare com isso, maluco!" Once he hears his name being called he'll run over waiting for his pets. lol
He is more of a "touch my owner and you'll pay" sort of dog. He is extremely attached to us.
I will hate the day when someone decides to attack me or my family..

--Manual Silva.
how many pets do you own

Reptilian
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
@08pateldan
Two dogs, one cat, hundred plus reptiles (give or take), a few amphibians and arachnids, and a million or so Dubia roaches..

--Manual Silva.

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Of all the pure "western" mastiff breeds, there is only one unchallenged dog at guard work and that is the neo mastiff. Anyone with experience in all these big mastiff breeds (em, ddb, sb, bm, tm etc) will always say the neo has best kept its guarding instincts. Presa's and boerboels will be fantastic guards also.

pars
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Dear Bandog,

and Neos are not very agressive, right?

Does anybody have an experience with them? Or anyone of these breeds: American bulldog, dogue de bordeaux, Spanish mastiff, American Mastiff, Cane Corso...

Do you recommend to have giant dogs like bordaeux, neo, spanish mastiff, english mastiff or smaller liek alano, boxer, dogo canario

Bandog
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
pars
Mar 25 2013, 05:23 PM
Dear Bandog,

and Neos are not very agressive, right?

Does anybody have an experience with them? Or anyone of these breeds: American bulldog, dogue de bordeaux, Spanish mastiff, American Mastiff, Cane Corso...

Do you recommend to have giant dogs like bordaeux, neo, spanish mastiff, english mastiff or smaller liek alano, boxer, dogo canario
Giant dogs are really only superior at deterring would be intruders. As for performance I most certainly think dogs in the 50-70kg range are the best man stoppers.
Neo mastiffs for the most part are rubbish but when a good one comes along, it is unmatched by other western mastiff breeds. The Spanish mastiff is an interesting idea though.

Ursus panthera
Member Avatar
Artiodactyla
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
GSD, English Mastiff, BullMastiff, Neo Mastiff, Irish Wolfhound, Scottish Deerhound, etc you get the idea

Bull and Terrier
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ursus panthera
Mar 29 2013, 06:44 PM
GSD, English Mastiff, BullMastiff, Neo Mastiff, Irish Wolfhound, Scottish Deerhound, etc you get the idea
Irish wolfhound and scottish deerhound is terrible guard and watch dogs.

Ursus panthera
Member Avatar
Artiodactyla
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In general maybe but particularly the irish wolfhound can be good at it remember it is a sighthound

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Domestic Animal Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Life of a created by Vulture Of Outline