Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Africa Leopard v Asiatic Lioness
Topic Started: Apr 26 2013, 09:19 PM (16,359 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

African Leopard - Panthera pardus pardus
The African Leopard (Panthera pardus pardus) is a leopard subspecies occurring across most of sub-Saharan Africa. In 2008, the IUCN classified leopards as Near Threatened, stating that they may soon qualify for the Vulnerable status due to habitat loss and fragmentation. They are becoming increasingly rare outside protected areas. The trend of the population is decreasing. African leopards exhibit great variation in coat color, depending on location and habitat. Coat color varies from pale yellow to deep gold or tawny, and sometimes black, and is patterned with black rosettes while the head, lower limbs and belly are spotted with solid black. Male leopards are larger, averaging 60 kg (130 lb) with 91 kg (200 lb) being the maximum weight attained by a male. Females weigh about 35 to 40 kg (77 to 88 lb) in average. Between 1996 and 2000, 11 adult leopards were radio-collared on Namibian farmlands. Males weighed 37.5 to 52.3 kg (83 to 115 lb) only, and females 24 to 33.5 kg (53 to 74 lb).Leopards inhabiting the mountains of the Cape Provinces appear physically different from leopards further north. Their average weight may be only half that of the more northerly leopard.

Posted Image

Asian Lioness - Panthera leo persica
The Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica), also known as the Indian lion, is a lion subspecies that exists as a single isolated population in India's Gujarat State. It is listed as Endangered by IUCN based on the small population size. The lion population has steadily increased in Gir Forest National Park, more than doubling from a low of 180 individuals in 1974 to a level of 411 individuals consisting of 97 adult males, 162 adult females, 75 sub-adults, and 77 cubs as of April 2010. The Asiatic lion was first described by the Austrian zoologist Meyer under the trinomen Felis leo persicus.[4] It is one of the five big cats found in India, apart from Bengal tiger, Indian leopard, snow leopard and clouded leopard. It formerly occurred in Persia, Mesopotamia, Baluchistan, from Sind in the west to Bengal in the east, and from Rampur and Rohilkund in the north to Nerbudda in the south. It differs from the African lion by less inflated auditory bullae, a larger tail tuft and a less developed mane. The most striking morphological character, which is always seen in Asiatic lions, but rarely in African lions, is a longitudinal fold of skin running along its belly. Asiatic lions are slightly smaller than African lions. Adult females weigh 110 to 120 kg (240 to 260 lb).

Posted Image

Cains Warrior
Apr 25 2013, 12:40 PM
male african leopard v Asian lioness
not a mismatch if a leopard can stand his ground against 4 african lioness watchhere
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
ImperialDino
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
pastepotpete
Nov 17 2016, 12:55 PM
ImperialDino
Nov 11 2016, 08:56 PM
pastepotpete
Nov 10 2016, 10:27 AM
as one guy just said" a leopard cant even beat a hyena" lol not true but still its kind of funny

lioness flawless victory
They can't...you ever seen a leopard dominate an adult hyena on video?....NOPE...Leopards paw slaps have no effect on Hyenas what so ever...i've seen it over and over. Hyena comes up, Leopards slaps its head and the hyena just takes it and snatches the Leopards kill.
Arctodus Fatalis
Nov 11 2016, 05:09 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepPosted Image
What about this?Posted Image

There has been a video posted on here a few years ago of a BENGAL TIGRESS with male Leopard, where the Leopard walked too close to the bengal tigress and cub and become lunch.
yeah you are talking about a adolescent male or a female a tom leopard doesnt swat he just goes up to the hyena neck ...sneak attack bites it on the neck and carries it up the tree while the hyenas neck is still alive takes minutes before the hyena dies i can show you a video
Your neck bite analogy is a lie...its never happened...i've been an animal combat guru for 20 years
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Carnotaur
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

i've been an animal combat guru for 20 years

What do you mean by that?

zergthe
Member Avatar
Aspiring Machairodont Expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Carnotaur
Jan 11 2017, 05:57 AM
ImperialDino

i've been an animal combat guru for 20 years

What do you mean by that?
He's a self-proclaimed animal combat expert...not even kidding.
Edited by zergthe, Jan 11 2017, 06:01 AM.

animalkingdom
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Has anyone notice that asiatic lions are closely related to barbary lions then african lion,look at light spots on lower part of legs of lion in the thread pics.
Edited by animalkingdom, Jan 11 2017, 10:47 PM.

KingPanthera
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
animalkingdom
Jan 11 2017, 10:46 PM
Has anyone notice that asiatic lions are closely related to barbary lions then african lion,look at light spots on lower part of legs of lion in the thread pics.
they are more related to congo lions that live by the forest edge
Posted Image
80 kg of power vs 125 kg of power
this is the size of pal the giant!!!
yes i would go 50/50

the lioness don't dwarf the leopard
she has a much massive head pound per pound
i am going at saturday to the jerusalem zoo
there are asiatic lions and persian leopards there
i would make a visual size compare
also next time i'll go to the safari park
i would snap a photo of pal and an african lioness
and show thier sizes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rlEqo1o7AM
i don't know if it's the same leopard from a nother video at the same place
but dang!
lions wanna f*ck his sh*t up
but leopard all about that hood palace!
that agile dude makes 5 lions back off
this is not a mismatch!
Edited by KingPanthera, Jan 12 2017, 12:38 AM.

zergthe
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
^Really? That leopard had lots of cover and was in a more compact space, which doesn't allow more than 2-3 lionesses is at a time. A lioness, if it wanted to, would absolutely kill a leopard. It's just a matter of the lioness doesn't want to risk the wounds.
Edited by zergthe, Jan 12 2017, 01:11 AM.

Mammuthus
Member Avatar
Apex Herbivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Posted Image
yes i would go 50/50
I have serious doubts of that being an 80kg Leopard, and even if it was an 80kg Leopard the Lion would still win.

Quote:

Well here is a picture of an average Lioness and a big male Leopard....
Posted Image
The Lioness is still bigger.

Quote:

Don't bother, what if you take a picture of a small Lioness and then take a picture of a large male Persian Leopard, that would be wrong.
Edited by Mammuthus, Jan 12 2017, 03:21 AM.

KingPanthera
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Mammuthus
Jan 12 2017, 03:17 AM
Quote:

Posted Image
yes i would go 50/50
I have serious doubts of that being an 80kg Leopard, and even if it was an 80kg Leopard the Lion would still win.

Quote:

Well here is a picture of an average Lioness and a big male Leopard....
Posted Image
The Lioness is still bigger.

Quote:

Don't bother, what if you take a picture of a small Lioness and then take a picture of a large male Persian Leopard, that would be wrong.
the safari park as pal the giant leopard
i don't knowmuch about jerusalem zoo
i haven't been there in 10 years!
zergthe
Jan 12 2017, 01:11 AM
^Really? That leopard had lots of cover and was in a more compact space, which doesn't allow more than 2-3 lionesses is at a time. A lioness, if it wanted to, would absolutely kill a leopard. It's just a matter of the lioness doesn't want to risk the wounds.
so why the leopard is fighting?
the leopard isn't a hyena
he is smart ,he won't fight
the lions attacked him
to kill him
it wasn't succsessful
why "absolutely"
it have no chance what so ever???
not at all
the leopard is far more agile and smarter
and if it is
a large leopard (with a lion heart)
will win over asiatic lioness
you guys don't get it
you think we are talking about african lioness that are 140 kg
this a slightly smaller 80-120 kg lioness
i think a indian leopard is far more better sub species
and can do far better
a leopard won't be able to win a cat bigger than 120 kg
maybe a wild verison of pal can throw a good fight agianst tigeress or lioness
of the 150 kg
but thats it
a jaguar and a leopard are the best fighters between 40 kg to 120 kg
thats it
Edited by KingPanthera, Jan 12 2017, 05:40 AM.

Mastodon
Member Avatar
proboscidea enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tell me one account where a leopard killed a full grown lion of any sex.

zergthe
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
KingPanthera

so why the leopard is fighting?

Because it its cornered. Seriously...
KingPanthera

the leopard isn't a hyena
he is smart ,he won't fight

You calling hyenas dumb? Au contaire, my friend.
KingPanthera

the lions attacked him
to kill him

It's called getting rid of competition.
KingPanthera

why "absolutely"
it have no chance what so ever???

Because if a lioness fought to kill, a leopard would be the loser of the deathmatch.
KingPanthera

this a slightly smaller 80-120 kg lioness

No, it's 110-120kg.
KingPanthera

maybe a wild verison of pal can throw a good fight agianst tigeress or lioness

You seem to not know that the second a leopard gets cocky, the bigger, stronger cat puts it in its place. A leopard cannot compare to a lioness or tigress, unless they are young/runty adults and the leopard is monster sized.

Grazier
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Are asiatic lions really that bad?

I will admit, they looked pretty bad every time I saw them on tv; scrawny, mangey, fly blown and miserable. One doesn't get the impression they're flourishing.

Luipaard
Member Avatar
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
50/50 since lions (especially lionesses) fail almost every time to kill a leopard once they've attacked it.

Once the leopards enter their 'defense mode', it's one of the most agressive and dangerous animals. It protects it's most vulnerable spot and has 4 paws with razor sharp claws ready to slash anyone who would come close.

That's why I think it's a 50/50. The leopard won't start the fight, it's going in it's defensive position. The lioness will go for it and that's the point where it can go either way.
Edited by Luipaard, Jan 12 2017, 12:55 PM.

Mammuthus
Member Avatar
Apex Herbivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Luipaard
Jan 12 2017, 12:50 PM
50/50 since lions (especially lionesses) fail almost every time to kill a leopard once they've attacked it.

Once the leopards enter their 'defense mode', it's one of the most agressive and dangerous animals. It protects it's most vulnerable spot and has 4 paws with razor sharp claws ready to slash anyone who would come close.

That's why I think it's a 50/50. The leopard won't start the fight, it's going in it's defensive position. The lioness will go for it and that's the point where it can go either way.
You do realize the only reason the Lions didn't kill that Leopard (in the 1st video) is because

A, the Leopard is in a very compact space compared to the Lions.
And B, the Lions don't want to risk getting injured.
Edited by Mammuthus, Jan 12 2017, 05:01 PM.

Luipaard
Member Avatar
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
Mammuthus
Jan 12 2017, 04:59 PM
Luipaard
Jan 12 2017, 12:50 PM

You do realize the only reason the Lions didn't kill that Leopard (in the 1st video) is because

A, the Leopard is in a very compact space compared to the Lions.
And B, the Lions don't want to risk getting injured.
Your second argument proves that I'm right. They don't want to risk injuries but they do want to kill the leopard. That's becouse of his position.

Look closely at 0:06, they're biting him and mauling him everywhere. The lioness on the left even managed to get under the branches, going for his neck.

And still the leopard managed to fight off all of them. I do agree the in an open field he would most likely be killed (although there's that one leopard vs 4 lionesses). But still, 9/10 any other animal would be killed in his situation. Cheetah, hyena, perhaps an other lioness since a lioness would have a hard time fighting in such a small place.

Also, look at the second video. That male lion clearly wanted to ambush the leopard and kill it (which surely would have happened if he didn't wake up) but the leopard had amazing reflexes.

Mammuthus
Member Avatar
Apex Herbivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Luipaard
Jan 13 2017, 12:07 AM
Your second argument proves that I'm right. They don't want to risk injuries but they do want to kill the leopard. That's becouse of his position.
Yes a Lioness would come away with a stracth or two but I could know doubt kill a Leopard, and the injures wont just come from the Leopard they could come from sharp bushes etc.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply